ADVERTISEMENT

CUSA Head Coaches After Two Years

JCorona

MI Miner Maniac
Jun 15, 2014
I swear it feels like almost everyone in CUSA has hired a new coach after hitting some rock bottom lows. I’d like to see in what direction they were heading early in the process.

La Tech, Marshall, ODU, and MTSU have not made any recent head coaching changes.

UTSA 1-11 (before the hire)
12-11 (after two years)
Bowl appearance

USM 0-12
4-20
(bowl champions in third year)

FAU 3-9
16-10
CUSA champions
Bowl champions

FIU 4-8
17-9
Bowl champions
2 bowl appearances

UNT 1-11
14-13
2 bowl appearances
CUSA championship appearance

UAB 2-10
14-11
Bowl appearance

WKU lost a HC due to good success.

Charlotte 5-7
2-2

UTEP 0-12
2-13

RICE 1-11
1-14 but showing improvement in all the losses this year.

Basically every struggling program in our conference that hired a coach showed improvement by year two. Why is it that we’re the only school in the nation with so many excuses?

I swear it feels like almost everyone in CUSA has hired a new coach after hitting some rock bottom lows. I’d like to see in what direction they were heading early in the process.

La Tech, Marshall, ODU, and MTSU have not made any recent head coaching changes.

UTSA 1-11 (before the hire)
12-11 (after two years)
Bowl appearance

USM 0-12
4-20
(bowl champions in third year)

FAU 3-9
16-10
CUSA champions
Bowl champions

FIU 4-8
17-9
Bowl champions
2 bowl appearances

UNT 1-11
14-13
2 bowl appearances
CUSA championship appearance

UAB 2-10
14-11
Bowl appearance

WKU lost a HC due to good success.

Charlotte 5-7
2-2

UTEP 0-12
2-13

RICE 1-11
1-14 but showing improvement in all the losses this year.

Basically every struggling program in our conference that hired a coach showed improvement by year two. Why is it that we’re the only school in the nation with so many excuses?

Very simple answer to a complex question. We hired an AD who is way over his head. He hired a coach who was a downgrade from our previous disaster. Dimel then hires Canales as OC who played a big role in running UNT into the ground that led to their rebuild.

The thing that really infuriates me the most is that both of our qbs have shown they can’t win games and they’re not the future cuz they’re both seniors.

If we had a qb like Solano the sophomore kid from Nevada I would feel better. At least we know our young qb is going through growing pains but we see the flashes of potential. Kind of what we had with Vittatoe as a freshman. We seriously have no future right now. No hope of improvement.

Why didn’t we play another qb during the last garbage drive of the game?

Reactions: kickballpro
The thing that really infuriates me the most is that both of our qbs have shown they can’t win games and they’re not the future cuz they’re both seniors.

If we had a qb like Solano the sophomore kid from Nevada I would feel better. At least we know our young qb is going through growing pains but we see the flashes of potential. Kind of what we had with Vittatoe as a freshman. We seriously have no future right now. No hope of improvement.

Why didn’t we play another qb during the last garbage drive of the game?
I definitely get what you are saying JCorona. I guess at this point the thinking may be why use garbage time if it means burning one of the four games within the red shirt threshold. I have a feeling we will see a couple of the younger QBs down the road. For one, Dimel's offense exposes the QBs to a ton of hits. Jones is already hurt. Two, the offensive line is a gigantic crap show particularly in pass protection. So, just based on those two things, I doubt either Jones or Locksley make it through the season healthy.

Reactions: UTEPDefense
I definitely get what you are saying JCorona. I guess at this point the thinking may be why use garbage time if it means burning one of the four games within the red shirt threshold. I have a feeling we will see a couple of the younger QBs down the road. For one, Dimel's offense exposes the QBs to a ton of hits. Jones is already hurt. Two, the offensive line is a gigantic crap show particularly in pass protection. So, just based on those two things, I doubt either Jones or Locksley make it through the season healthy.
That makes sense for Goodwin. But what about bringing in Bravo the JC transfer, or Brownholtz that already burned his redshirt. Or our supposed third string Hardison. I don’t think Dimel would want to redshirt him and put him in the same class as Goodwin.

That makes sense for Goodwin. But what about bringing in Bravo the JC transfer, or Brownholtz that already burned his redshirt. Or our supposed third string Hardison. I don’t think Dimel would want to redshirt him and put him in the same class as Goodwin.
My guess on Bravo and Brownholtz is that they just aren't any good. I think Brownholtz plays special teams, so he may have transitioned to another position; same with Torres, who was looking to move to WR. Just too many guys who will never play QB at the D1 level. Also, I think Hardison is a sophomore, so he is a year ahead of Goodwin. All that said, I'd like to think if either Goodwin or Hardison gave the team a better chance to win, they would be playing. Look at a guy like the true freshman Cowing, who is already playing a bunch. We have heard some positive things on Hardison's ability to pass; I wouldn't mind trying a guy who can actually complete a forward pass. Like you said, it is very frustrating watching the current QBs.

My guess on Bravo and Brownholtz is that they just aren't any good. I think Brownholtz plays special teams, so he may have transitioned to another position; same with Torres, who was looking to move to WR. Just too many guys who will never play QB at the D1 level. Also, I think Hardison is a sophomore, so he is a year ahead of Goodwin. All that said, I'd like to think if either Goodwin or Hardison gave the team a better chance to win, they would be playing. Look at a guy like the true freshman Cowing, who is already playing a bunch. We have heard some positive things on Hardison's ability to pass; I wouldn't mind trying a guy who can actually complete a forward pass. Like you said, it is very frustrating watching the current QBs.
That’s the frustration with the coaching staff. Combined they have a lot of experience coaching and evaluating talent. Those are all their quarterbacks. How do you miss on so many guys?

The grass is always greener on the other side. The most popular player is the backup QB. Why? Because he hasn't F'd up yet. The reason fans start thinking this way is because our team is offensively inept at throwing the ball.

The coach will say: Listen we know who's ready to play and who isn't.
So the status quo continues, losing, dwindling fan attendance and predictable football.

That’s the frustration with the coaching staff. Combined they have a lot of experience coaching and evaluating talent. Those are all their quarterbacks. How do you miss on so many guys?
I think the staff tipped their hand when they went after the graduate transfer Delton. They knew what they had, or in this case didn't; they just failed to get someone who could actually play. They put their faith in Locksley, and that has failed miserably. Jones was never brought in to be a starter. Other than Goodwin, none of the other guys were recruited by anyone.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
The grass is always greener on the other side. The most popular player is the backup QB. Why? Because he hasn't F'd up yet. The reason fans start thinking this way is because our team is offensively inept at throwing the ball.

The coach will say: Listen we know who's ready to play and who isn't.
So the status quo continues, losing, dwindling fan attendance and predictable football.
The problem is that if a backup plays and messes up we understand that the backup is getting experience for the future. When 2 senior QBs that wont be here next year are messing up there is no payoff

According to 247, we have landed 55 3-star recruits since 2005. Obviously a few were either under rated or over rated. Dimel has 13 of these players on the team and 1 committed right now. 9 are not even playing this year and 1 left.

I’m over reacting. Nevada is a solid team. They won 8 games and beat a division champion in a bowl game last season.

We were right there toe to toe with them in the third quarter. Take away those picks and as Dimel said play more conservative so instead of a short field after the picks they have to go 70+ yards after a punt and who knows what the final score could have been.

I think the staff tipped their hand when they went after the graduate transfer Delton. They knew what they had, or in this case didn't; they just failed to get someone who could actually play. They put their faith in Locksley, and that has failed miserably. Jones was never brought in to be a starter. Other than Goodwin, none of the other guys were recruited by anyone.

Alex Delton has 124 yards passing with 11 completions on 28 attempts. 1 int and 0 tds. Looks like we missed big on him.....

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT