ADVERTISEMENT

Dana Dimel in damage control?

utep2step

MI Miner Maniac
Jul 10, 2001
Wednesday he will announce 16 signees for early period with 8 JUCO players to be on UTEP soil next month.

El Paso Times:

"In the second year schools can sign prospects in mid-December, the Miners will have their first early-signing day announcement Wednesday when coach Dana Dimel expects to reveal 16 new UTEP recruits, including eight junior college transfers on defense who will arrive in January."

That many JUCO's means his five year plan is complete bull****. Jucos are for quick fixes. You build no depth with JUCO's. Gary Nord had a five year plan. However, he didnt recruit any JUCOS. He said JUCOS didnt work at UTEP. He recruited only high school players and redshirted every one of them. Mike Price reaped the rewards of Nord's five year plan. Its apparent Dimel has no plan. Hes just throwing everything against the wall and hoping something sticks. This is an absolute cluserf***.

I don’t see an issue here. So what if he I signing 8 JUCOs? That’s 8 out of 85. I only care about winning games. Not like these guys are ***** recruits anyway. Probably beat out Dixie State, Minnesota Wesleyan, and Lamar for most of their services.

Reactions: Dmanminer
This is why I said "damage control". The ship is taking on water and bilge pump crapped out.

People have shown frustration with Dimel as well as Senter for the lack of success with football the past 2 seasons, but does Nate Poss bear any of the responsibility? Not sure if performance of the program extends to him so to speak, but as director of football operations for a number of years I would be interested in knowing what you guys think. I would imagine his job encompasses quite a bit, but how involved is he with some of the decision making?

People have shown frustration with Dimel as well as Senter for the lack of success with football the past 2 seasons, but does Nate Poss bear any of the responsibility? Not sure if performance of the program extends to him so to speak, but as director of football operations for a number of years I would be interested in knowing what you guys think. I would imagine his job encompasses quite a bit, but how involved is he with some of the decision making?

Under Nord and Price he had a a lot of responsibilities. Kugler cut his responsibilities in half. Dimel further cut his responsibilities when he came in. I think now he organizes camp ruidoso and acts as a travel secretary. I dont think we can pin any of the struggles on poss.

Well, if organizing meals, charter buses, flights and hotel rooms is the reason the team is losing then yes

That many JUCO's means his five year plan is complete bull****. Jucos are for quick fixes. You build no depth with JUCO's. Gary Nord had a five year plan. However, he didnt recruit any JUCOS. He said JUCOS didnt work at UTEP. He recruited only high school players and redshirted every one of them. Mike Price reaped the rewards of Nord's five year plan. Its apparent Dimel has no plan. Hes just throwing everything against the wall and hoping something sticks. This is an absolute cluserf***.
Dude, you are getting like annoying. Your hate for Dimel makes ALL of your posts shit. You have ZERO objectivity.

Ok so....he is bringing in jucos to patch holes. So? maybe his recruits aren't what they thought and he needs help? Bringing this shit storm up again is going to be a job and not every kid we sign will work out.

Get off your high horse bro. You DON'T know everything....

Poss was like "The Irishman": Unknown badass who knew where the bodies were buried and loyal to the bosses no matter what.

He now wants to visit his kids and redemption.

Bring in whoever the hell you want... Just win some games, please. Any chance UTEP can get Art Briles?
Don’t think this current administration will hire him? Talk about desperate.
https://tylerpaper.com/news/local/b...43ae4a06-20fc-11ea-b2ed-ffdff87bc0ff.amp.html
giphy.gif

I just want UTEP to go to and win a bowl game in my lifetime....
I just turned 50 years old. I've been to 3 UTEP bowl games and have watched 3 other of their bowl games on TV but have yet to witness a UTEP bowl win....I've got 20, maybe 30 years left on this planet....I just want to see at least one win before I expire....

It will happen, Have hope Miner fans. I will be leaving EP. So with my Luck UTEP will win 9 games, lead the nation in scoring and have a great defensive. Win a bowl game.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
I just want UTEP to go to and win a bowl game in my lifetime....
I just turned 50 years old. I've been to 3 UTEP bowl games and have watched 3 other of their bowl games on TV but have yet to witness a UTEP bowl win....I've got 20, maybe 30 years left on this planet....I just want to see at least one win before I expire....
Make sure your DNR is cancelled by 2045.

Dude, you are getting like annoying. Your hate for Dimel makes ALL of your posts shit. You have ZERO objectivity.

Ok so....he is bringing in jucos to patch holes. So? maybe his recruits aren't what they thought and he needs help? Bringing this shit storm up again is going to be a job and not every kid we sign will work out.

Get off your high horse bro. You DON'T know everything....

I dont have anything him personally. I am very upset about the direction of the program. It's a messageboard we discuss UTEP. Football and basketball. Unfortunately theres not a way to sugar coat what's going on with the football program. Dimel came out the day after the Rice game and talked having a five year plan. All I did was point that when you recruit this many JUCOs you dont have a five year plan. His recruiting strategy completely contradicts his public statements.I hope like hell I'm wrong. I hope he wins. Right now there is just nothing in his background that leads me to believe he can.

Reactions: NoNCAAWinsSince1992
I dont have anything him personally. I am very upset about the direction of the program. It's a messageboard we discuss UTEP. Football and basketball. Unfortunately theres not a way to sugar coat what's going on with the football program. Dimel came out the day after the Rice game and talked having a five year plan. All I did was point that when you recruit this many JUCOs you dont have a five year plan. His recruiting strategy completely contradicts his public statements.I hope like hell I'm wrong. I hope he wins. Right now there is just nothing in his background that leads me to believe he can.
Don’t think anyone on here or in the stands (who was left) could’ve taken a true 5 year plan....year two and people calling for his head/not paying for the games. JUCO route it is then since no one wanted to wait that long.

Yes, jucos and D1 transfers. There are a ton of guys in the portal who are looking for immediate playing time. Dimel needs to use every possible option. This should have been his approach from day one.
We want to see wins now not the promise of wins in six years. Dimel has left about 4-5 wins on the table during the last two years. Maybe a few more jucos and transfers instead of red shirt freshmen who don’t play would have made the difference.

When half of the third recruiting class is JUCO’s the math doesn’t add up.

Dimel has it all backwards. With next years schedule and huge questions marks at qb it’s not the time to plug holes and try to win games. That should have been done in year one and two when we had experienced qbs and hosted fcs and some of the worst FBS teams in the country.

IMO this will backfire we will not win anymore than the expected two games and we will lose a year of recruiting. He should just ride it out and continue with his six year plan. But what do I know.

Reactions: FeralFelidae
We want to see wins now not the promise of wins in six years. Dimel has left about 4-5 wins on the table during the last two years. Maybe a few more jucos and transfers instead of red shirt freshmen who don’t play would have made the difference.

When half of the third recruiting class is JUCO’s the math doesn’t add up.

Dimel has it all backwards. With next years schedule and huge questions marks at qb it’s not the time to plug holes and try to win games. That should have been done in year one and two when we had experienced qbs and hosted fcs and some of the worst FBS teams in the country.

IMO this will backfire we will not win anymore than the expected two games and we will lose a year of recruiting. He should just ride it out and continue with his six year plan. But what do I know.

He may end up with half this class as jc or grad transfers but as of now we only know of 8 jc players. This class will have 25 or so signees.

Coaching a team to 2 straight 1 win seasons will get you a warning from the AD that you better win some games next year of you're toast. I believe that's what our AD has told him. We will see when the results are in next season.

Reactions: Lil_Train
So JUCO's are ok for K-State and not ok for UTEP?

Reactions: UTEPfan1966
He may end up with half this class as jc or grad transfers but as of now we only know of 8 jc players. This class will have 25 or so signees.

Coaching a team to 2 straight 1 win seasons will get you a warning from the AD that you better win some games next year of you're toast. I believe that's what our AD has told him. We will see when the results are in next season.
Fair. My question is why wait until year three to demand wins?

Was Senter ok with Dimel winning 1-2 games a year until his five recruiting classes are on campus? If he was why change it now? If he wasn’t then why give him a third year?

Reactions: NoNCAAWinsSince1992
Fair. My question is why wait until year three to demand wins?

Was Senter ok with Dimel winning 1-2 games a year until his five recruiting classes are on campus? If he was why change it now? If he wasn’t then why give him a third year?
Just assumptions on my part but I would think that Senter expected more this past season but had to issue a warning now. I expect that Senter is hoping that Dimel can somehow, someway, right the ship enough to give a good feeling about improvement and a turnaround of the program.

ADVERTISEMENT