ADVERTISEMENT

Dave Feitl

dementiajoe

Starter
Feb 16, 2023
Last night my ex-boss and I were discussing past Sun Bowl tourneys. Somewhere in the conversation Dave Feitl‘s name came up. He spent almost the entire game trying to remember Feitl’s nickname, until he finally remembered “The Cheese”. However, he doesn’t know why or how Feitl came upon that nickname. Can anyone shed some light on this?

Maybe Feitl sounds like Feta cheese. Maybe we should do an all-nickname team. We'd have some great players on this one. Soup Campbell, Pony Goodwin, Jeep Jackson, Bad News Barnes, etcetera.

Tom 'GATOR' Pauling - one of my favorite Miner hoopsters, never knew or considered why his nickname was GATOR, maybe how he would snatch rebounds.

Last night my ex-boss and I were discussing past Sun Bowl tourneys. Somewhere in the conversation Dave Feitl‘s name came up. He spent almost the entire game trying to remember Feitl’s nickname, until he finally remembered “The Cheese”. However, he doesn’t know why or how Feitl came upon that nickname. Can anyone shed some light on this?
Strelzin? Wouldn't surprise me if it was him. Good Miner history legendary player question, though.

"Paul Strelzin, the principal of Charles Jr. High in El Paso and longtime public address announcer at UTEP basketball games, has a nickname for every Miner and a comment on almost every basket.

When guard Luster Goodwin scores, Strelzin shouts out, “Pony Express time.” Juden Smith is the “Beast” and Dave Feitl is the “Cheese.” and so on"

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-1985-01-21-sp-14383-story.html

Reactions: mikesarabia
The “Beast” was Juden Smith.
The most talented are seniors Juden (Beast) Smith and Dave (Cheez) Feitl, and the Miners will look to both for their scoring. To get more opportunities, the Beast, a 6'6" swingman with, says Haskins, "the fastest first step in the WAC,"

The most talented are seniors Juden (Beast) Smith and Dave (Cheez) Feitl, and the Miners will look to both for their scoring. To get more opportunities, the Beast, a 6'6" swingman with, says Haskins, "the fastest first step in the WAC,"
Juden Smith was my all time favorite Miner player!

I reached out to Yellen who reached out to Feitl, and Feitl said he got the nickname "Big Cheese" in high school as he was the big man on campus, literally, and it stuck.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT