ADVERTISEMENT

Day After

Mar 7, 2013
With the season likely over and looking at what's next for the Miners, I think we are in great shape. Players come and go and although we likely are losing a few good players, Golding has set the tone and most importantly the culture of the program. Recruiting always a point of focus but having a culture and a identity as a program is just as important. I think Golding has worked hard to establish this and as this season wore on you could see it grow in this program. A lot still needs to happen and as UNT, UAB and a lot of others have clearly shown you don't need 4 star recruits to win big at this level. There are a lot of good players who will work hard and want to be coached and play as a team and who rather win than score 20 a game. First time in many moons fans got excited at games and I felt a positive vibe around the team. Again not there yet but we appear on the path.

With the season likely over and looking at what's next for the Miners, I think we are in great shape. Players come and go and although we likely are losing a few good players, Golding has set the tone and most importantly the culture of the program. Recruiting always a point of focus but having a culture and a identity as a program is just as important. I think Golding has worked hard to establish this and as this season wore on you could see it grow in this program. A lot still needs to happen and as UNT, UAB and a lot of others have clearly shown you don't need 4 star recruits to win big at this level. There are a lot of good players who will work hard and want to be coached and play as a team and who rather win than score 20 a game. First time in many moons fans got excited at games and I felt a positive vibe around the team. Again not there yet but we appear on the path.
Yes, it sucks because this was a good team who would have been even better next year had Boum, Kennedy, and Tydus returned. However, I think recruiting is going to go much better now that Coach Golding has something tangible to sell recruits.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
Yes, it sucks because this was a good team who would have been even better next year had Boum, Kennedy, and Tydus returned. However, I think recruiting is going to go much better now that Coach Golding has something tangible to sell recruits.

Is the departure of these three known, or are you assuming?

Is the departure of these three known, or are you assuming?
This is a great unknown for Miner basketball right now given the circumstances:

-A solid productive year.
-A top mid major coach who these players really like (their own words)
-They gelled together well. One fan during last nights post game said there was to much one on one and he was not sold on Golding. He attracted befuddlement on social media and show hosts. I don't see it and it was just year one. Golding overachieved.
-This is key: Golding embraced El Paso. When you get a coach that embraces the community, you get a coach who can easily sell to a recruit why UTEP and El Paso are a good fit. Potential outgoing portal transfers included.

Ok so do players get one chance to transfer or two without having to sit out a year?

Another thing is wouldn’t it be better for teams like Utep to load up on transfer players with potential then since they would be burning that one year free waiver before they got here ?

Another thing is wouldn’t it be better for teams like Utep to load up on transfer players with potential then since they would be burning that one year free waiver before they got here ?
Correct. However, they can also get a waiver if they graduate. So, Kennedy, Boum, and TV would be able to transfer and play next year.

Getting a guy like Kennedy would be particularly attractive to a school since you would have him for two years. So, the stage in their eligibility is a major factor now in the recruiting strategy. Realistically, it is very difficult for a mid major school to hang on to elite freshmen players, so why even try to recruit them? There are several CUSA "freshman" (including covid year) that will be picked up by high majors this year once again.

Last edited:
I am assuming, but it is pretty likely from them being honored on senior night and things that are being said around the program (Coach Goldings comments insinuate that they are leaving). But, it`s okay, there is a good chance they upgrade via the portal.

Thanks. BTW I wasn't trying to be snarky though it may have sounded that way. I was just wondering whether there was news or rumors with good sourcing, or what. I agree it seems likely.

Thanks. BTW I wasn't trying to be snarky though it may have sounded that way. I was just wondering whether there was news or rumors with good sourcing, or what. I agree it seems likely.
It is okay, I understand. But, yes those are probably the guys that coach Golding was hinting at leaving. It is too bad, because if they were able to run it back, they would probably be the best team in CUSA. In Souley and Tydus` case, you cannot blame them for wanting to move on. They have given 4 years to the program and graduated. They will probably go pro. I am confident though that they will be able to find some upgrades at those positions. They now will need need a big man, a scorer, and an athletic wing player. They are in a better position to attract some of these top transfers that they missed out on than they were last year.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
It is okay, I understand. But, yes those are probably the guys that coach Golding was hinting at leaving. It is too bad, because if they were able to run it back, they would probably be the best team in CUSA. In Souley and Tydus` case, you cannot blame them for wanting to move on. They have given 4 years to the program and graduated. They will probably go pro. I am confident though that they will be able to find some upgrades at those positions. They now will need need a big man, a scorer, and an athletic wing player. They are in a better position to attract some of these top transfers that they missed out on than they were last year.
With the addition of a solid big man, I have no doubt that would be the case. Maybe they change their minds and stay. Doubt it though.

Good article from Kappy below. I think the writing is on the wall that we can expect significant roster turnover. Golding will need to step up the recruiting.

Ok so to me this is where it gets interesting— remembering all of these are pretty much terrys players and now we have a 19 win season…. Let’s say next year most of them transfer and Golding has to totally restock the team …. Are people gonna start turning if they say have a 16 win season?

Ok so to me this is where it gets interesting— remembering all of these are pretty much terrys players and now we have a 19 win season…. Let’s say next year most of them transfer and Golding has to totally restock the team …. Are people gonna start turning if they say have a 16 win season?
I’m all in on Golding. Like several on here have already said, Golding brought back the excitement of being a Miner bb fan.

A setback of only 16 wins would be tough to swallow, but if we lose damn near half our team, I’d understand cuz it’s hard to rebuild immediately. However, MTSU had a quick turnaround, so it can be done.

Bottom line…I trust Golding until I don’t. He’s a helluva motivator and game time coach.

I am all in on Golding’s ability to coach. I am all in on who he is as a person. What I am not all in on, as of yet, is his ability to recruit. In today’s game, recruiting also means convincing your best players to stick around and avoid the portal. These next several months will shed light on Golding the recruiter.

I am all in on Golding’s ability to coach. I am all in on who he is as a person. What I am not all in on, as of yet, is his ability to recruit. In today’s game, recruiting also means convincing your best players to stick around and avoid the portal. These next several months will shed light on Golding the recruiter.
He DID recruit TV back from the portal for this season.

I just hope the players recognize that the team did improve this season under Golding's guidance and hope that counts for something. If the players leave, I hope it's to go pro. I can't fault them for that.

Would a high major really look at TV??

Why would KK leave didnt he come from a high major?? Boum and KK can get all the shots they want here at Utep. They go to another high major they wont get the same shots. JB left OU because he wanted the ball more.

Reactions: axingfools1
Also TV and Boum are not NBA players. I dont think more exposure will help in that regard, however having a secure chance at the NCAA tourney may be the lure to transfer.

Little KK has by far the best upside and pro potential. I said earlier in the year that I think he is the next UTEP star, but of course he has to run the course.

I think it would be cool if they could all stay, tighten their bond and help re-build the program while getting a NCAA bid. I guess I'm being selfish, but it's a really viable option. Golding would have to hold up his end on the recruiting side, but these guys would make it that much easier.

I didn't get to watch the game but am still proud of the team. It definitely was a tough loss, but it provides momentum heading into the off season and prepares us for next season. I expect UTEP to easily eclipse 20 wins and get to the finals next year. I also expect a split with NMSU. Things are really looking up for UTEP!

Reactions: groundrounds
I didn't get to watch the game but am still proud of the team. It definitely was a tough loss, but it provides momentum heading into the off season and prepares us for next season. I expect UTEP to easily eclipse 20 wins and get to the finals next year. I also expect a split with NMSU. Things are really looking up for UTEP!
Unless 3-4 starters leave then it’s starting all over again…. I hate the transfer portal

Unless 3-4 starters leave then it’s starting all over again…. I hate the transfer portal
Its a double edged sword. NMSU lost 2 4* recruits last season but picked up Nebraska's best player who won WAC Player of the year this season. The transfer portal is now a part of recruiting which does suck. I think Coach Golding can do well utilizing it replacing any of our transfers to land some good P6 guys who aren't satisfied with their playtime. This is the perfect time to do so with UTEP on the upswing.

One has to hope hope the players saw how better coaching improved their game. Hopefully that sways them to stay and get even better. We all saw the improvement of the team but that can’t happen without the players getting better. This coaching staff did a great job of that this year. If all the play stay they can expect to keep learning the game.

If we go to a postseason tournament, I think this increases the chances that the core players are returning. I feel that we wouldn't go to post season if they weren't returning, as the coaching staff would much rather be dedicating their time to recruiting rather than going to one of these lower tier tournaments.

Last edited:
RICE, Boston, VMI and Troy have accepted CBI invitations.

IMO that's a better option than the other C tournament. The semis and final is on ESPN2.

RICE, Boston, VMI and Troy have accepted CBI invitations.

IMO that's a better option than the other C tournament. The semis and final is on ESPN2.
I think we can beat all of these teams. What other tournaments are there? I'm don't think we qualify for the NIT.

I think we can beat all of these teams. What other tournaments are there? I'm don't think we qualify for the NIT.
Here's the info and the teams that have accepted.

I like the CBI cuz it's all on a neutral location played over a span of 4 days. I think that format would better prepare us for a conference tournament. Plus the TV coverage is better.

What I like about this is 2 things. 1. The players were no doubt asked to vote and they decided to play for a trophy. This also tells me that they may wanna run it back. If our back court stays in tact and we add a swing and a Big we will be scary good next year! 2. I like this better than the CBI, because it allows UTEP to play in front of the fans which is probably why they declined the CBI. Let's not just go, let's win it all!!!

All games on espn+ making it easy to watch but not as much exposure as linear espn. Just win the thing.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT