ADVERTISEMENT

DCTF Miners Podcast

I'm not a podcast guy but I listened to the entire hour and nine minutes and I it's truly the first podcast I've listened to in its entirety. Seriously. I've started a few and shut them off after a few minutes because, well, I'm not a podcast guy.

Still, I enjoyed it this one. Not the most polished broadcast ever but it was a good listen.

Last edited:
Reactions: JCorona
I'm not a podcast guy but I listened to the entire hour and nine minutes and I it's truly the first podcast I've listened to in its entirety. Seriously. I've started a few and shut them off after a few minutes because, well, I'm not a podcast guy.

Still, I ennjoyed it this one. Not the most polished broadcast ever but it was a good listen.

Any good takeaways?

Any good takeaways?
Apparently the offense is relatively complicated, especially for the WRs. They not only have to understand their assignments, but they have to understand the offensive line's assignments as well. Maybe that is partially why we had such an issue finding another WR outside of Smith last season and Flores (senior). Good preparation for pro ball because I'm sure that is something nfl players have to do.

Deion Hankins and the running back room looks good. Hankins put in a lot of work during the summer.

Gavin Hardison has improved as a leader... they said this last season too and he crapped the bed.

Based on the interviews they did, it seems the team is confident. their goals are to win the conference championship and win a bowl game. So i guess thats good to see. It was pretty much par for the course of a typical team-oriented podcast. They talked a little about conference realignment too.

Both of them have the team going 7-5 and Baechele has them starting 7-2 and then losing their last 3. Even a guy on the football team last year doesn’t think they can beat Northwestern or Arizona or be anything other than average. Tells you a lot about this team and coach.

Both of them have the team going 7-5 and Baechele has them starting 7-2 and then losing their last 3. Even a guy on the football team last year doesn’t think they can beat Northwestern or Arizona or be anything other than average. Tells you a lot about this team and coach.
But at the same time, has there been a UTEP team in the last 25+ years that you would say could beat a Northwestern or an Arizona?

But at the same time, has there been a UTEP team in the last 25+ years that you would say could beat a Northwestern or an Arizona?
Northwestern was 1-11 last year and lost to a FCS team. This is Dismel’s 6th year. Is it probable that UTEP will lose that game? Sure is. Is it also possible that they could win? Sure is. Same goes for Arizona. I expect UTEP to lose both games, but I didn’t just finish playing for Dismel like Baechele did. You would think he would be a little cheerleader like in his prediction. If UTEP doesn’t beat Northwestern, they will probably “never” beat a P5. This is their best shot ever.

To answer your question, I would say the 88, 00, 04, and 05 teams would be able to beat last year’s Northwestern team 90% of the time.

Reactions: axingfools1
Northwestern was 1-11 last year and lost to a FCS team. This is Dismel’s 6th year. Is it probable that UTEP will lose that game? Sure is. Is it also possible that they could win? Sure is. Same goes for Arizona. I expect UTEP to lose both games, but I didn’t just finish playing for Dismel like Baechele did. You would think he would be a little cheerleader like in his prediction. If UTEP doesn’t beat Northwestern, they will probably “never” beat a P5. This is their best shot ever.

To answer your question, I would say the 88, 00, 04, and 05 teams would be able to beat last year’s Northwestern team 90% of the time.
Fair enough. I think the best win any of those 4 teams had was the 04 team when they beat Fresno St. and they finished the year ranked in the top 25. My thing Is UTEP is horrifically bad not only on the road but also vs power conference schools and good road wins are really hard to find. Knowing UTEP they probably would have waltzed into that game, gotten completely obliterated and that would have been the catalyst for Northwestern to turn their season around.

The Baechele thing doesn’t bother me. We all know that UTEP has their issues (QB, Coaching name a few) and so 7-5 seems fairly reasonable. Heck most of us have them winning 5 or less.

Last edited:
Deaver said we shouldn't want to be in the MWC because we wouldn't be able to compete in it and it would just be for the money.

We've beaten Boise St., New Mexico. Almost beat Fresno St. In the bowl game. How can you say we wouldn't be competitive?
Huh? Miners lost to New Mexico last year. Even if they did win, UNM is a horrible football program. Beating them means nothing.

Boise St was a good win. Probably their best non-conference game in 40 years. But… this team still went 5-7 and didn’t make a bowl game.

Even the year before that, when they went 7-6, they still barely beat bad teams.

Fun fact, UTEP doesn’t have a winning record against anyone from MW…

Air Force 1-14
Boise St 1-6
Colorado St 10-25
Fresno St 3-9
Hawaii 13-18
Nevada 1-3
New Mexico 33-44
SDSU 4-18
San Jose St 5-5
UNLV 2-6
Utah St 0-3
Wyoming 6-26

Who do they have a winning history against?
Maybe NMSU? Big whoop!
It’s a small list.

NMSU (51-30-1)
Tulane (5-4)
Then (1-0) against Florida St, NIU, ULL, and ULM.

There’s a few others that are FCS or no longer have football teams, but that list is not very large either.

• Sad
Reactions: MinerManiac
Can Dimel finish a game? Can he finish late in the season when bowl aspirations are on the line? The answer is no.

Week 0 against JSU will be another 1st game barometer for the season with Dimel at the helm. JSU will be jacked up for this game as their fans & boosters have been salivating for their FBS jump and have made Rodriguez nervous because he has told supporters FBS play is a bigger leap in talent even with transfer portals, etc..

Dimel has to have them coming out slobber knocking but without the stupid penalties that keep drives alive for their opponent which UTEP is notorious for doing and blowing games they should have won.

Let’s not forget college refs lay down the (new) law in first games.

Reactions: PickMyAxe915
2) Deaver promotes UTEP really well. Jumping up to MW would be good for everyone’s travels budget (which is a big deal) and for sports news folks like him because history (WAC days) does carry weight.

Does Senter have the salesmanship and out of the box planning, bravado & charisma to accomplish that if that day were to come? No. UTEP is not any serious contender list. You know? The “heard from a good inside source” type action. He wants UTEP in CUSA, period.

2) Deaver promotes UTEP really well. Jumping up to MW would be good for everyone’s travels budget (which is a big deal) and for sports news folks like him because history (WAC days) does carry weight.

Does Senter have the salesmanship and out of the box planning, bravado & charisma to accomplish that if that day were to come? No. UTEP is not any serious contender list. You know? The “heard from a good inside source” type action. He wants UTEP in CUSA, period.
That’s extremely hilarious if you think the AD’s charisma and salesmanship plays a role in conference expansion.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT