ADVERTISEMENT

DePaul

Experienced team. Multiple transfers in their 2nd year. Gibson (previously from UNT then OU) is their best player. Good shooting. Outside of Anei they are not very big. If we can defend the perimeter, rebound and attack the rim I think we can win.

We have a week to prepare and DePaul will have 3 days. Golding will have the team ready, but will that be enough? Miners haven't won a road game yet.
Hopefully the Blue Demon players will look past us to their game at Duquesne the next Wednesday. Duquesne is hot right now at 7-1 with their only loss at #4 Kentucky.
Stubblefield coached under Lou Henson and was interim HC in 04-05 where he was 2-12. This is his second season with the Blue Demons and he was 15-16 last season and 6-14 in the Big East for 9th place.
I don't think DePaul has much of a chance this Wednesday against St Johns, who has beat Syracuse and Temple and is now 8-0. If the Blue Demons get blown out, they'll be pissed. If they keep it competitive they might be worn out.
This looks like a winnable game but can the Miners survive a road game against a Big East opponent?

Last edited:
Reactions: unihorn
Golding has mentioned that one of his game goals is to limit opposing teams to no more than 7 three point baskets. He said that his team might struggle to match teams that make more than that number. I think that number is pretty accurate, as we have seen some of the shooting struggles first hand. IMO the team needs to be slow and deliberate offensively, especially on the road. Make it a half court game. The NMSU game in Cruces provided a blue print of what won't work on the road :). Getting Frazier back, and playing at the level which he was before the injury would be a step in the right direction.

Last edited:
Golding has mentioned that one of his game goals is to limit opposing teams to no more than 7 three point baskets. He said that his team might struggle to match teams that make more than that number. I think that number is pretty accurate, as we have seen some of the shooting struggles first hand. IMO the team needs to be slow and deliberate offensively, especially on the road. Make it a half court game. The NMSU game in Cruces provided a blue print of what won't work on the road :). Getting Frazier back, and playing at the level which he was before the injury would be a step in the right direction.
7 threes allowed is too many for this team.

It would help if someone could knock down some outside shots. This team can’t hit 3s to save their lives.
Free throw line too.
2 players at 100%: Lemus and Hamilton
Sibley at 83%, Givance and Frasier mid 70s.
McKinney, Z, Soloman and Kalu in the 50s.

We miss Boum because he could do it all, but that was also our Kryptonite. I feel more optimistic about this team because of the deep bench, drive of the players and enthusiasm of the coach.

When is the last time a MBB coach took responsibility for a loss or not having the players completely ready for a game?
Terry? No way.
Floyd? Oh no, way too experienced.
Barbee? Unlikely.
Gillespie, Haskins...maybe.

Last edited:
When is the last time a MBB coach took responsibility for a loss or not having the players completely ready for a game?
Terry? No way.
Floyd? Oh no, way too experienced.
Barbee? Unlikely.
Gillespie, Haskins...maybe.
Haskins complained about a component of team play that was horrible even after a good win. Floyd was a great tactician as a coach and in front of a mic. Yeah, too experienced for sure. Rabs (RIP) was a hard working assistant who was not ready to be the Admiral of the fleet. Hard working but immature at the same time. Barbee to this day still reminds me of Rush’s hit “Tom Sawyer”. Attitude (but in a good way, tad cocky) with “I don’t owe anyone, anything” persona which was displayed when his desire of Haskins comparisons and discussion (he would) wish to end, went public. I wish Terry the best and a Merry Christmas, but I don’t miss him.

The team still has a lot of question marks but when was the last time fans were really anxious to find out the answers to those questions? It sounds like Golding is bringing excitement back to Miner basketball. Let's hope the wins start coming back too.
This is a flawed, but very fun team to watch and root for. It is imperative that they find a way to finish in the top 4 or 5 of conference USA to retain some of their key players and hopefully bring in a few good transfers like NMSU has.

ESPN matchup predictor has 90% DePaul wins. What’s the line?

snowball-in-hell-65344_display_image.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: Lil_Train
CBB lines start coming out around 8 pm ET the night before games, Haslammetrics which is usually very close to Vegas lines with their projections has UTEP as an 8 point dog right now which is about right. St. John's is a 9 favorite tonight on Haslammetrics and Vegas has it at -9 too.

Miners can't settle for jumpers, watch St. Johns attack the rim ALV tonight, UTEP doesn't do that well and has to be something they put in the game plan, get to the rim against DePaul and try to get to the FT line in process.

CBB lines start coming out around 8 pm ET the night before games, Haslammetrics which is usually very close to Vegas lines with their projections has UTEP as an 8 point dog right now which is about right. St. John's is a 9 favorite tonight on Haslammetrics and Vegas has it at -9 too.

Miners can't settle for jumpers, watch St. Johns attack the rim ALV tonight, UTEP doesn't do that well and has to be something they put in the game plan, get to the rim against DePaul and try to get to the FT line in process.
Good chance to watch DePaul this afternoon.

Reactions: Roy_Bigwood_05
Ugh, if UTEP's path to victory depends on shooting at the FT line, we're in trouble.

Anyway, I plan to be in attendance, so if things go wrong, I guess you can blame me for bringing bad mojo.

Ugh, if UTEP's path to victory depends on shooting at the FT line, we're in trouble.

Anyway, I plan to be in attendance, so if things go wrong, I guess you can blame me for bringing bad mojo.
I'd rather blame you for being our good luck charm. Be sure to help an old lady across the street in front of the arena and buy some girl scout cookies just to be on the safe side.

Reactions: FeralFelidae
David Jones, DePaul’s best player last year, transferred to St. John’s.

DePaul not going away. They run it right back. STJ getting better looks and stout D.

DePaul’s starting center had wrist surgery a few days ago — out 8-10 weeks.

Saw UNT last night. Out with many players and got it done against a stubborn UTA opponent.

Their other big Yor Anei....may be back for UTEP. He's solid but not as impactful as C Ongenda, but can score if you let him get it down low — almost 7ft.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT