ADVERTISEMENT

DH Invitational Teams (apparently)

I’ve seen worse fields for this tournament. I like the idea that NMSU is invited. This should serve as proper motivation for the Miners because they can not afford to let them celebrate winning this trophy on their home court.

No one wants to play in a non-exempt tournament anymore. I guess they invited NMSU because this will be the last year they can participate. NCAA does not allow two teams from the same conference to play in this type of tournament.

Reactions: NoNCAAWinsSince1992
No one wants to play in a non-exempt tournament anymore. I guess they invited NMSU because this will be the last year they can participate. NCAA does not allow two teams from the same conference to play in this type of tournament.
I don’t know if I agree 100% with that. More like, “no one who is a name team”. If we didn’t play NMSU 2x and they weren’t our only rival, that’s a good get.

I have no issues with a Kent St type teams on the schedule. I am sure other “low to mid majors” have trouble getting “solid” games too.

There were only 4 non exempt college basketball tournaments last year and none of them had a P5 school.

There were only 4 non exempt college basketball tournaments last year and none of them had a P5 school.
Do you really expect Georgetown and Indiana in this tournament? If we didn’t already play NMSU twice per season, they would be a good get. I think it’s lazy to get them plus 2 teams that were here 3 years ago. I also think it’s potentially “bad” for UTEP to maybe lose to NMSU 3 times next season.

Compare these teams to the 3 teams coming to the Exempt event UTEP is hosting over Thanksgiving (Bakersfield, Alcorn, Corpus). This field blows that one away.
Yeah it does. If this tournament continues, they need to focus on a few conferences and stick with that. It’s pretty clear, it’s slim pickings going forward.

UTEP is playing 20 conference games this year. That number will drop to 16 the following year. They will also lose the two NMSU non conference games and they can only do the Exempt event here once every four years. That is 9 games they will have to replace in 2023....no chance the SB Tournament is going away unless they want to play nothing but road games.

I rather see the Miners on the road against a q1/q2 team than at home vs a q4.

Do you really expect Georgetown and Indiana in this tournament? If we didn’t already play NMSU twice per season, they would be a good get. I think it’s lazy to get them plus 2 teams that were here 3 years ago. I also think it’s potentially “bad” for UTEP to maybe lose to NMSU 3 times next season.

I agree. I am just pointing out that the non exempt format has been replaced by the MTE format and teams do not want to play in a non exempt tournament.

If you play in an MTE, you get to play in 31 games. If you play in a non exempt tournament, every game counts. Not too many schools want to play at Neutral Sites if there is really nothing to gain. Thats why 25 years ago their were 80 non exempt tournaments and now only 4 are left and MTE's have taken their place.

The Don Haskins Invitational, as much as we claim to love it, its poorly attended. They really struggle finding teams. The Sun Bowl gains the most out of it. I would kill this tournament and open up the opportunity to have better schedule flexibility.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
I agree. I am just pointing out that the non exempt format has been replaced by the MTE format and teams do not want to play in a non exempt tournament.

If you play in an MTE, you get to play in 31 games. If you play in a non exempt tournament, every game counts. Not too many schools want to play at Neutral Sites if there is really nothing to gain. Thats why 25 years ago their were 80 non exempt tournaments and now only 4 are left and MTE's have taken their place.

The Don Haskins Invitational, as much as we claim to love it, its poorly attended. They really struggle finding teams. The Sun Bowl gains the most out of it. I would kill this tournament and open up the opportunity to have better schedule flexibility.
Why not change it to an exempt tournament?

It used to be that schools were happy to play at neutral sites for the opportunity to play a good opponent on a neutral site. This was still serving a niche for good mid-majors who have a hard time scheduling good opponents at home.

But if being a non-exempt tourney is now holding them back from attracting good teams, what's preventing them from changing to an exempt tourney?

Reactions: kickballpro
Why not change it to an exempt tournament?

It used to be that schools were happy to play at neutral sites for the opportunity to play a good opponent on a neutral site. This was still serving a niche for good mid-majors who have a hard time scheduling good opponents at home.

But if being a non-exempt tourney is now holding them back from attracting good teams, what's preventing them from changing to an exempt tourney?

I am not really sure why the Don Haskins Invitational can't switch to an exepmt MTE. Maybe because the NCAA has to approve it or maybe because its only 2 games or maybe because its December. Not sure why some get to be called MTE and non-exempt.

I always said they should invite Texas Tech and New Mexico.

Have
UTEP vs Texas Tech
NMSU vs New Mexico

Plus since they Invited NMSU, they should've invited Sam Houston St and Liberty.

It would have to be GCU and ASU or Zona.

If the Tournament got a TV deal, I'm sure they be able to get better teams to come. How about CBS network since they're doing the Sun Bowl game?

NMSU will be in conference soon. That won't fly much longer. We ought to be playing the Lobos on a home and home basis like we're playing the Aggies now. We should try Texas Tech and at least one of the Arizona schools for the Haskins tournament. If GCU becomes the big team in the WAC, invite them, or whoever the best team in the WAC is. And we should try to tie in a tv deal with CBS to the Sun Bowl Game. Let them play up the advertising. We would have a good regional set of games.

NMSU will be in conference soon. That won't fly much longer. We ought to be playing the Lobos on a home and home basis like we're playing the Aggies now. We should try Texas Tech and at least one of the Arizona schools for the Haskins tournament. If GCU becomes the big team in the WAC, invite them, or whoever the best team in the WAC is. And we should try to tie in a tv deal with CBS to the Sun Bowl Game. Let them play up the advertising. We would have a good regional set of games.
The Lobos already have 2 games vs the Aggies. They are not going to play another 2 games against us every year. Would be great for us, but does nothing for them.

GCU would be an excellent opponent for UTEP to play every year.

If the tournament wasn’t on tv when Georgetown and Indiana were coming, why would anyone want to televise it now???

I don’t think the Sun Bowl committee has done a good job with this tournament. Now it’s pretty much dead.

The Lobos already have 2 games vs the Aggies. They are not going to play another 2 games against us every year. Would be great for us, but does nothing for them.

GCU would be an excellent opponent for UTEP to play every year.

If the tournament wasn’t on tv when Georgetown and Indiana were coming, why would anyone want to televise it now???

There is more TV networks than before. They need content. Stadium or CBS Sports network would be perfect .

And maybe expand the tournament to 8 teams??

What could they have done better? Post a 4 team field you would like to see.
Not talking about this year, I’m thinking about the teams they used to get in the late 70’s and 80’s .
They didn’t build on how successful they were. I know a lot of it was when the NCAA did not grant them exempt status. Maybe cause they don’t pay out big money.
Maybe they got bigger teams cause of Haskins.
To me it seems like it was always a side event for the Sun Bowl.

Not talking about this year, I’m thinking about the teams they used to get in the late 70’s and 80’s .
They didn’t build on how successful they were. I know a lot of it was when the NCAA did not grant them exempt status. Maybe cause they don’t pay out big money.
Maybe they got bigger teams cause of Haskins.
To me it seems like it was always a side event for the Sun Bowl.
Things have changed though. Georgetown and Indiana make so much more money now then they did in the 70s or 80s. Why would they waste their time coming here when they can play Bethune Cookman on national tv?

What field you like to see?

Things have changed though. Georgetown and Indiana make so much more money now then they did in the 70s or 80s. Why would they waste their time coming here when they can play Bethune Cookman on national tv?

What field you like to see?
Don’t think much about it, follow in the media.
Love UTEP Sports but not that into other college teams in any sport.

Teams like Georgetown would lay UTEP because of Haskins. That kind of connection isn't there anymore. UTEP and the Sun Bowl committee or whoever has let the tournament die on the vine. Golding should light a fire under somebody's ass to either make it respectable again or end it and do something better with the time. I'd personally like to keep it going but not if we only play Wattsamatta U. or East West North South College every year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT