ADVERTISEMENT

DIEHARDS

Curious how many of you are going to Rice and UNT games.

Thinking about going to the UNT game. Someone posted a link to get a ticket, a UNT beer stein, and 2 drink tix for $20. Sounds like a pretty good deal to me.

Is this where I buy my liberal friend a beer?

Why not, my conservative friend. I'm gonna ask Ms. Killer when she gets home if she'd like to join us. She will most likely not. Every game she tells me, "they're gonna lose."

I can't argue with her on that point.

Not gonna turn this into another pissing match. It’s about value.

Indeed. And in the Dallas/Fort Worth area, UNT has to try harder to get your butt in a seat. There are many, many entertainment options here. El Paso has only a few. The Chihuahuas, the Miners, and ... well, I don't even know what else.

Support the team, man. Or move to DFW or Phoenix or somewhere else where you can bitch about tickets costing $50 or $300 (like the Arlington Cowboys).

Reactions: unihorn
Indeed. And in the Dallas/Fort Worth area, UNT has to try harder to get your butt in a seat. There are many, many entertainment options here. El Paso has only a few. The Chihuahuas, the Miners, and ... well, I don't even know what else.

Support the team, man. Or move to DFW or Phoenix or somewhere else where you can bitch about tickets costing $50 or $300 (like the Arlington Cowboys).

Locomotives, Rhinos, Plaza Theatre, Wine Festivals, Arts Festivals, Movie Festivals, Concerts. Those are just a few entertainment options off the top of my head. Plus, some people would rather go to the movies than spend $16 to see UTEP and I don't blame them one bit.

It's funny you bring up Phoenix. I went to the see the Suns play last month and I paid less than $16 for a ticket.

Reactions: NoNCAAWinsSince1992
Locomotives, Rhinos, Plaza Theatre, Wine Festivals, Arts Festivals, Movie Festivals, Concerts. Those are just a few entertainment options off the top of my head. Plus, some people would rather go to the movies than spend $16 to see UTEP and I don't blame them one bit.

It's funny you bring up Phoenix. I went to the see the Suns play last month and I paid less than $16 for a ticket.

I don’t like any of that shit; I like basketball.

UNT doesn’t have to try harder. Even if they did it doesn’t make much of a difference. People aren’t going to drive up to Denton to watch a game unless they’re associated with the university. They aren’t winning over any local Arlington/Dallas sport fans with cheap tickets.

They can charge less for tickets because they have donors with deep pockets. The university has money.

UNT doesn’t have to try harder. Even if they did it doesn’t make much of a difference. People aren’t going to drive up to Denton to watch a game unless they’re associated with the university. They aren’t winning over any local Arlington/Dallas sport fans with cheap tickets.

They can charge less for tickets because they have donors with deep pockets. The university has money.

That's like saying UTEP isn't out trying to get Chihuahua fans in the seats. Of course UNT is trying to get butts in the seats. Neither donors alone nor the university alone pay for everything.

Last edited:

You're exactly right. I know somebody that lives in the Dallas area and it they say traffic is horrible. They don't even go to Rangers games because there is zero public transportation to the games and driving there is a pain. Nobody is going to go see a game in Denton unless they are a ranked team or are playing a powerhouse team.

Reactions: JCorona
That's like saying UTEP isn't out trying to get Chihuahua fans in the seats. Of course UNT is trying to get butts in the seats. Neither donors alone nor the university alone pay for everything.
Right. The difference is UTEP isn’t trying to get butts in seats. Someone on here said Senter is happy with 4K because they make more money than with 8k at cheap prices.

UNT with their prices is showing they rather have fans in attendance than make money from the game. The reason being is they’re not dependent on ticket sales to bring revenue to the program.

North Dallas Forty is off the beaten path and like Rice, just nothing to get excited about. UTEP just has to compete with:
a) Dallas Cowboys
b) EP Chihuahua's baseball (football season starts late in their season)
c) Monster Truck show (if UTEP makes post season)
d) Any concerts at DHC

Put "W's" on the table and fans will start to trickle in. BG, Barbee, Nord (his one bowl year) and Price gave proof to that. Price had attendance slightly above 30k which Kugler torched to the ground and Dimel compounded upon.

UNT with their prices is showing they rather have fans in attendance than make money from the game. The reason being is they’re not dependent on ticket sales to bring revenue to the program.

We'll just have to agree to disagree, Mr. Corona. I don't mean to call anyone foolish but I think it's foolish to think that any university isn't trying to bring in more revenue via ticket sales. The difficulty is in finding the sweet spot balancing price with sales to maximize revenue AND butts in seats.

We'll just have to agree to disagree, Mr. Corona. I don't mean to call anyone foolish but I think it's foolish to think that any university isn't trying to bring in more revenue via ticket sales. The difficulty is in finding the sweet spot balancing price with sales to maximize revenue AND butts in seats.

Revenue isn't profit. Remember that.

Reactions: NoNCAAWinsSince1992
They aren’t giving away tickets either. It’s obvious they have a different strategy. The best seat in the house is $20 at UNT. The worst seat at UTEP is $16 or $18. I can’t remember. Is it because UTEP has a better on court product? I would say no. One is in first place the other one is fighting for a spot to Frisco. Is it because the Super Pit is a dump? I would also say no. It’s a very nice arena. Then why does UTEP charge more? Could it be because they don’t have the extra 2-3 million in yearly donations UNT benefits from? Idk.

Right. The difference is UTEP isn’t trying to get butts in seats. Someone on here said Senter is happy with 4K because they make more money than with 8k at cheap prices.

UNT is at least trying to give value to their tickets. For $20 you get a stein and two drinks. UTEP wants $16 just to sit at the top, with nothing. Which is a better value?

UTEP needs to try and get new fans, not bleed their remaining fans dry. It’s ridiculous.

The difference in money from charging $16 and having 4K fans to charging $8-$10 bucks and having 8K fans has to be negligible. It has to be.

Seems to me the benefit of a bigger crowd and creating a more energetic atmosphere, a tougher place for opponents to play, would far outweigh the small monetary difference.

Wins generate interest, but paying too much for a product that isn’t much worth its weight in doo doo definitely deceases interest.

While I personally don’t think $16 is too much, El Paso has spoken and it seems many feel like it is, especially for what they’re getting out of it.

The difference in money from charging $16 and having 4K fans to charging $8-$10 bucks and having 8K fans has to be negligible. It has to be.

Seems to me the benefit of a bigger crowd and creating a more energetic atmosphere, a tougher place for opponents to play, would far outweigh the small monetary difference.

Wins generate interest, but paying too much for a product that isn’t much worth its weight in doo doo definitely deceases interest.

While I personally don’t think $16 is too much, El Paso has spoken and it seems many feel like it is, especially for what they’re getting out of it.
I heard Senter’s reasoning is because there’s no incentive to buy season tickets when a person can buy individual tickets for less.

I’m willing to bet that 95% of season ticket holders don’t buy season tickets so they can save a few dollars per ticket. They buy it as a commitment and support for the program.

Bring back $8-$10 tickets!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT