ADVERTISEMENT

Dimel’s offensive scheme is simply not good enough.

UTEPDefense

MI Hall of Famer
Oct 8, 2002
Dimel has taken a few steps forward and he will get another year, but I have seen enough in 2.5 years to know that Dimel’s offense is not the answer. Just look at the difference between how hard it was to defense UTSA’s scheme today versus UTEP’s. Dimel needs to swallow his pride and bring in someone who can run a more effective offense against CUSA level competition:

- Dimel’s offense has had either a delay of game penalty, or wasted time-out due to a near delay of game, in every game this season. That problem continuing to occur every year and every game falls directly on Dimel.

- Dimel’s offense has only produced the following total yards of offense in 3 conference games this season:
- 246 total yards against UTSA.
- 266 total yards against La. Tech.
- 374 total yards against Charlotte, with at least 100 of those yards coming at the end in garbage time, once the game was decided.

- Dimel’s offense in 3 conference games this season has only produced the following:
- 0 second half points against UTSA.
- 3 second half points against La. Tech.
- 14 second half points against Charlotte, but both of those TD’s came late in garbage time, when the game was already decided. Dimel’s offense was again shut out when the game was on the line.

Dimel’s offense is simply not productive enough. Period. This falls directly on him and I don’t have confidence that his offense will be able to make a big enough improvement to save his job next year. Again, Dimel’s best option is to turn over the offense and play-calling duties to a different scheme. It can somewhat align with his ball control philosophy, but a change needs to be made. Then Dimel just needs to focus on being a Head Coach and recruiting. There is a reason why Kansas State made it clear that Dimel would not be promoted once Snyder left. There is also a reason why Kansas State fans were overwhelmingly happy to see him go as their OC, when he got our job. Dimel might have a chance at being the PR type of Head Coach, who primarily handles the media, but it is looking very evident that him also directly running the offense won’t work.

In addition to this, the lack of discipline continues to cost Dimel and that has gotten beyond annoying as well, simply because it is continuing to happen. Today, UTEP entered extremely thin at CB(with two CB’s out). Then starting CB Lowe throws a punch and gets ejected early, so we had to play a true freshman preferred walk-on for most of the game at CB. Again, it is not just an isolated incident. It is a trend and that is the problem. The overall lack of discipline has killed us time and time again under Dimel, just like the 12 penalty game against La. Tech.

Last edited:
Dimel has taken a few steps forward and he will get another year, but I have seen enough in 2.5 years to know that Dimel’s offense is not the answer. Just look at the difference between how hard it was to defense UTSA’s scheme today versus UTEP’s. Dimel needs to swallow his pride and bring in someone who can run a more effective offense against CUSA level competition:

- Dimel’s offense has had either a delay of game penalty, or wasted time-out due to a near delay of game, in every game this season. That problem continuing to occur every year and every game falls directly on Dimel.

- Dimel’s offense has only produced the following total yards of offense in 3 conference games this season:
- 374 total yards against Charlotte, with at least 100 of those yards coming at the end in garbage time, once the game was decided.

- Dimel’s offense in 3 conference games this season has only produced the following:
- 14 second half points against Charlotte, but both of those TD’s came late in garbage time, when the game was already decided. Dimel’s offense was again shut out when the game was on the line.

Dimel’s offense is simply not productive enough. Period. This falls directly on him and I don’t have confidence that his offense will be able to make a big enough improvement to save his job next year. Again, Dimel’s best option is to turn over the offense and play-calling duties to a different scheme. It can somewhat align with his ball control philosophy, but a change needs to be made. Then Dimel just needs to focus on being a Head Coach and recruiting. There is a reason why Kansas State made it clear that Dimel would not be promoted once Snyder left. There is also a reason why Kansas State fans were overwhelmingly happy to see him go as their OC, when he got our job. Dimel might have a chance at being the PR type of Head Coach, who primarily handles the media, but it is looking very evident that him also directly running the offense won’t work.

In addition to this, the lack of discipline continues to cost Dimel and that has gotten beyond annoying as well, simply because it is continuing to happen. Today, UTEP entered extremely thin at CB(with two CB’s out). Then starting CB Lowe throws a punch and gets ejected early, so we had to play a true freshman preferred walk-on for most of the game at CB. Again, it is not just an isolated incident. It is a trend and that is the problem. The overall lack of discipline has killed us time and time again under Dimel, just like the 12 penalty game against La. Tech.
Sounds like of combination of the bad parts from Prica and Kugler. No discipline and shitty offense (minus AJ of course).

Reactions: miner1liner

Very well said! One small thing I would disagree with though. No one is coming to play for UTEP from out of state as a preferred walk-on. The cost of out-of-state tuition combined with the performance of this team, makes that very unlikely.

Nice to see others acknowledge the obvious fact that Dimels offense is a Shit Show that is raging inside a dumpster fire. Unfortunately I have no faith in Senter's ability to hire a competent replacement.

An eternity of failures. It is destined to continue under this regime (Jim Senter included).
The UTSA coach really ticked me with his continuous whining and complaining, but he got results while Dimel just seemed to mope around in a state of confusion wondering when the game would finally end so he could go home and count his money.

An eternity of failures. It is destined to continue under this regime (Jim Senter included).
The UTSA coach really ticked me with his continuous whining and complaining, but he got results while Dimel just seemed to mope around in a state of confusion wondering when the game would finally end so he could go home and count his money.

For all the excuses Dimel made about being undermanned its important to remember that UTSA was down their two best offensive players. They were without their best olimeman and the best running back in CUSA and they still kicked our ass.

To add to that they were without their defensive coordinator who is suspended. When you add it all together its one of the worst losses of the Dimel era and thats saying something. Truly embarrassing.

Hey don’t be so hard on Dismel, that’s a boat load of money to count.

2020 UTEP Offensive rankings to date:

Total offense: 107 out of 126 FBS teams

Scoring offense: 110 out of 126 FBS teams

Time of Possession: 29 out of 126 FBS teams!

Bottom of the barrel production with the easiest FBS schedule in the country and two below average FCS schools on the schedule. With an average defense you need an offense to put points on the board to stay competitive. UTEP will never win with such a terrible offense. If it weren’t for COVID this team would have gone winless this year!

FIRE DISMEL!
FIRE SENTER!

Last edited:
2020 UTEP Offensive rankings to date:

Total offense: 107 out of 126 FBS teams

Scoring offense: 110 out of 126 FBS teams

Time of Possession: 29 out of 126 FBS teams!

Bottom of the barrel production with the easiest FBS schedule in the country and two below average FCS schools on the schedule. With an average defense you need an offense to put points on the board to stay competitive. UTEP will never win with such a terrible offense. If it weren’t for COVID this team would have gone winless this year!
Exactly. With the weapons we have on offense we should be putting up much better scoring numbers. I just don't understand this offensive gameplan at this level. There is no creativity and no trust in the players. Combine that with poor on field discipline and inability to adjust and this is what we get.

While our QB is the most serviceable so far, let's not forget that Dimel and staff have yet to land a QB that can even execute his regular offense, let alone this current version.

Hire this guy. His offense puts points on the board and his offense is exciting to watch.

If UTEP would have played HBU this season, I guarantee you HBU would have left the Sun Bowl with a win.

Exactly. With the weapons we have on offense we should be putting up much better scoring numbers. I just don't understand this offensive gameplan at this level. There is no creativity and no trust in the players. Combine that with poor on field discipline and inability to adjust and this is what we get.

While our QB is the most serviceable so far, let's not forget that Dimel and staff have yet to land a QB that can even execute his regular offense, let alone this current version.
This. Overly conservative with play calling which appears to be a lack of trust in the players

This. Overly conservative with play calling which appears to be a lack of trust in the players
Oh I don't know. We take too many deep shots to be called overly conservative.

Not creative, certainly. I don't think we have the tools to go for as many big plays as we do, but I do think we have the tools to "dink and dunk" down the field, which has a side benefit of long drives and controlling the clock. Too often our play calling seems too impatient for that.

Not creative, certainly. I don't think we have the tools to go for as many big plays as we do, but I do think we have the tools to "dink and dunk" down the field, which has a side benefit of long drives and controlling the clock. Too often our play calling seems too impatient for that.
That's a good point but we still seem conservative somehow. I feel that we are either overly conservative or throwing a 50 yard pass. We need a better intermediate game. I'm also not a fan of running on 3rd down as much as Dimel does. I am good with running on 3rd and 1 or even 3rd and 3 (especially with Hankings) but Dimel likes running 3rd and 4+.

Definitely too patient or too inpatient. We need to be more methodical. Use what we have.

Why are we still playing out of the shotgun/pistol when 1) our QB can't run and 2) we rarely use short routes. Isnt that what the pistol or RPO is all about? Why not get under center a little, get more creative in the running game (better utilizing each runners' skill set) and use some play action? This would seem to suite our players better and still allow us to try and control clock.

Definitely too patient or too inpatient. We need to be more methodical. Use what we have.

Why are we still playing out of the shotgun/pistol when 1) our QB can't run and 2) we rarely use short routes. Isnt that what the pistol or RPO is all about? Why not get under center a little, get more creative in the running game (better utilizing each runners' skill set) and use some play action? This would seem to suite our players better and still allow us to try and control clock.
Agree. The offense definitely does not suit a non-running QB like Hardison. Without the threat of a running QB, that is one less potential playmaker in a very predictable offense. If Dimel is truly going to go with Hardison as his QB for the next three years, he really needs to consider abandoning an offense that he has run for years. I just don't see that happening.

Dimel is essentially running a 1990’s offense in 2020.

We have lost games this season where the defense played good enough to win. We have lost games this year where the special teams played good enough to win. What has not happened, is that we have not lost any games this year where the offense played good enough to win.

Dimel runs a lot of sets with both a FB and a TE on early downs. These sets only allow us to have 2 WR’s on the field, which means that we don’t have a lot of speed on the field that the secondary needs to account for. Also, I rarely see us run a play with a FB where I see the result of the FB as being highly effective(outside of goal line). I think we would be much better by playing more 3 WR sets instead, which would take that extra defender out of the box and eliminate another person to block. There is nothing really clever about it, as basically every other team in America is doing it this way. Most teams don’t ever use a FB.

I also think that it is very clear that Awatt and Hankins should be our one-two punch. Fields has a role on this team, but the fact that Dimel has essentially sabotaged his own offense by giving Fields more than double the amount of carries as Awatt has been frustrating.

At the end of the day, I don’t have a preference for what type of offense we run, as long as it works. But the simple fact is that Dimel’s offense is just not producing enough. This will be Dimel’s last chance at a head coaching job, especially if he fails. It would be ironic if a lifetime offensive coach’s final failure is the result from him not being able to produce an effective offense.

This offensive approach of forcing the ball to two wide receivers is ridiculous. I could see a couple wide receivers transferring out because we don't spread the ball around. These coaches have to figure out a way to attack all three levels of the field. It seems right now we only pass on quick slants and streaks/deep post. Every time they try to run combo routes we end up having multiple receivers in the exact same area. That to me seems like poor attention to detail and practice. Very rarely if ever does the offense go live against a defense. How are they supposed to get the timing down if all of the reps are basically walkthroughs?

Listening to the Dana Dimel show and Teich just mentioned that UTEP’s offense has not scored on any first drive of the first half this year and it also has not scored on any first drive of the second half all year.

He also stated that UTEP has only scored 3 total 3rd quarter points this entire year. I knew it was bad, but this offense is really bad.

The frustrating thing for me is Dimel’s apparent attitude towards it all. On one hand I really do appreciate his positivity, but on the other I would just like to see more fire from him after a loss, especially like the one we witnessed this past Saturday. Perhaps he is completely different in the locker room, but the image he portrays publicly is one of an almost lackadaisical nature. I think most players, even this millennial generation, need a strong voice to lead them; someone who can be a motivator but can also be stern and hold guys accountable. Again, I am not privy to what he’s like behind the scenes in the locker room or on the practice field, but I can’t really imagine him being too much of a hard ass when perhaps it’s needed on occasion.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT