ADVERTISEMENT

Dimel reflects on the season

"We went 3-5 in league this year after going 4-4 last year, but again I feel we're very competitive I think we've gained the national respect of all of our peers with what we're doing here..."

He is even more delusional than I thought. There is NO HOPE for this program while he and Senter are around. We'll all be dead and buried before anything of note happens with UTEP football. The way this season ended makes the Boise game meaningless.

"We went 3-5 in league this year after going 4-4 last year, but I feel like we're getting the respect of our peers nationally..."

He is even more delusional than I thought. There is NO HOPE for this program while he and Senter are around. We'll all be dead and buried before anything of note happens with UTEP football. The way this season ended makes the Boise game meaningless.
Sounds like a guy who knows he’s coming back.

We're going to suffer through one more season with Coach Clueless. Senter had still better be looking for his replacement starting right now. If he isn't, they'd better be looking for another AD as well. I hope the basketball team saves us from total disgrace.

We're going to suffer through one more season with Coach Clueless. Senter had still better be looking for his replacement starting right now. If he isn't, they'd better be looking for another AD as well. I hope the basketball team saves us from total disgrace.
I mean there’s not much to look for when the coaching carousel isn’t spinning like it is right now.

Last edited:
Realistically speaking and not hyperbole....
Utep Football is more competitive and 12 wins in 2 years is more than we as Miner fans are accustomed to. We were on the cusp of going to back to back bowls and were in every game except for Oklahoma and the 1st game in the second half. We beat a decent Boise St. team and almost beat a top 25 team on the road with our back up QB. The sad thing though is, there's nothing to get excited about, UTEP definitely doesn't have national respect, because Conference USA doesn't have National Respect. We are competitive in the worse conference in FBS and not even title contenders. Those are the facts!

Dimel can recruit good (JUCO) players. Not every single one pans out but he can recruit them.

OLine was not bad this season. I can clearly recall Hardison having time in the pocket many times. They were parting the sea the last two games.

The WR made improvements late after a struggling early season with many dropped passes and struggling to get separation.

Dimel finally saw what our TE’s can do (but that came late instead).

Awatt and Hankins were good and I loved how they started securing the ball better.

The D line was quiet to start the season but took over late in the season and shut down opponents running game towards the end.

Linebackers were the lunch pail crew the entire season. Miner offense was so anemic most of the season too much pressure was put on them to make things happen to keep scores manageable.

Peveto had good blitz packages but left our db’s on an island.

Special teams improved.

Dislike:

Hardison has a great arm but was not consistent in his passing. Inefficiency.

Penalties were hair pulling. O line killed drives with back to back penalties at times. Inefficiency once again.

Dropped passes by wr’s early in season. Killed drives. Flores had to carry the load early and often.

Play calling on offense was bad. Many times the rb’s were moving the ball but Dimel would rely on Hardison’s arm for big play passes that earned too many 3 and out’s. Inefficiency reared it’s head again.

Turnovers lost them games. Put the defense behind the 8 ball way to many times.

Blitz’s were creative but opponents offense burned them bad when they failed.

Dimel can’t stand success. Big leads UTEP did have were blown easily as he and staff appeared to be unable to keep them focused and/or mismanaged the clock. Used timeouts early due to poor management.

Due to poor coaching management by Dimel and staff during games crappy arse CUSA refs determined outcomes. Good coaching negates bad calls when they happen.

Animated GIF

My dude can’t even type his name right!

It’s obvious that’s Dismel is staying. If he was gone would have happen on Monday.
Stupid decision from Senter and Wilson.

Reactions: FarWestTexas
It’s obvious that’s Dismel is staying. If he was gone would have happen on Monday.
Stupid decision from Senter and Wilson.
He was never in jeopardy.

Dimel has developed a grass roots support here that everyone on this site totally underestimates. They came out in full force when UTEP pulled the upset on Boise. Not even Floyd supporters were as vociferous when the "Fire Floyd" caught fire. There was visceral anger in their voice as they called one by one on the post game show after the Boise game and exclaimed "How dare we question Dimel!! Where are you haters now! Show yourselves!". It was like a medieval drama.

Miner fandom is cleaved horribly right now and the "Dimel is of top pedigree-Snyder tree-and were blessed to have him" supporters versus the "Can we just hire someone who can win?" supporters is taking a crescendo once again not seen since Floyd's final days.

Who do you blame or praise when you have a total crap dump at New Mexico and a defining win against Boise State in the same season? A tale of two fan bases. The best of times and the worst of times. It sure frustrates the fans at UTEP. No wonder we're so polarized.

Reactions: FarWestTexas
He was never in jeopardy.

Dimel has developed a grass roots support here that everyone on this site totally underestimates. They came out in full force when UTEP pulled the upset on Boise. Not even Floyd supporters were as vociferous when the "Fire Floyd" caught fire. There was visceral anger in their voice as they called one by one on the post game show after the Boise game and exclaimed "How dare we question Dimel!! Where are you haters now! Show yourselves!". It was like a medieval drama.

Miner fandom is cleaved horribly right now and the "Dimel is of top pedigree-Snyder tree-and were blessed to have him" supporters versus the "Can we just hire someone who can win?" supporters is taking a crescendo once again not seen since Floyd's final days.
Nah — Floyd had history here and was a darling of the olds.

Dimel and Senter have no history here.

There are a few Dimel supporters, sure. But I’d characterize the majority of the fan base as apathetic towards both Dimel and Senter.

Golding has a shot at being loved.

Dismel has very few supporters. He is a lousy coach and his style of play is boring. The only reason he is still here is because our athletic department has no strategic vision to improve the football program and mediocrity is acceptable. They are content with competing in CUSA for many years to come. They only care about the basketball team reaching 20 wins playing an easy schedule to keep the basketball die hards happy.

Dismel has very few supporters. He is a lousy coach and his style of play is boring. The only reason he is still here is because our athletic department has no strategic vision to improve the football program and mediocrity is acceptable. They are content with competing in CUSA for many years to come. They only care about the basketball team reaching 20 wins playing an easy schedule to keep the basketball die hards happy.

20 basketball wins per year is not enough. I want to see our guys competing for conference championships and NCAA tournament bids. Anything less is unacceptable.

Those Dismal supporters you’re talking bout are also probably Cowboys fans who think that guy on CBS was the best QB we ever had. Obviously they don’t know jack shit.

Reactions: utep2step
Those Dismal supporters you’re talking bout are also probably Cowboys fans who think that guy on CBS was the best QB we ever had. Obviously they don’t know jack shit.
lol! Love it. 😝😝

Any truth to Dimel taking his power point and interviewing for a head coach gig elsewhere? Would be Christmas for us.
No FBS AD would be dumb enough to hire him. Unless he wants to coach FCS or some pro league like the XFL, he won’t be hired as a head coach. Get a grip man. UTEP has some of the least attractive head coaches in the country.

Reactions: utep-piggy
Team should have been at least 7-5 if not 8-4 and going to another bowl with a chance to win. Do that and I think most here would have conceaded Dimel another year.

Losing that opening game the way we did was a killer. Blowing the lead against UTSA should have been it for Dimel.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT