ADVERTISEMENT

Duranguito demolition injunction lifted, reissued

I know it will be hard for some of you to believe but Max has nothing to gain financially from this. He is an Art History professor and preserving history is the most important thing to him. I by no means agree with him. He loves history as much or more than anyone in here loves UTEP and sports in general.
This has to be the most selfish man, committing some of the most selfish acts, I have ever heard of.

The city would benefit greatly from the arena. The citizens would be exposed to concerts, events and dare I say, yes, sports that would normally bypass our region. The attack on the availability of the arena for sporting events showed our boy Max's true colors. Nothing to be gained by that but his spot in the SOB Hall of Fame. Mission accomplished.

But Unilateral Max wants his way, everyone else be damned. All for the love of history. History should paint him as the egomaniac that he is.

I've lived in El Paso all my life and my family was from Segundo Barrio until the treaty of the Chamizal forced them to move. I never once heard of this area being referred to as "Duranguito" until the demolition was proposed. It sounds like a cute little name that they started using to make the neighborhood sound more endearing in order to get people to rally behind their wanting to save it

The City should have bulldozers lined up tomorrow. Start immediately if they win. Don't allow for any more injunctions.
They did last time and I'm sure they will again. This is like "Shovel Ready" projects in politics: Projects are funded, earth movers are fueled up, project managers are bright eyed and bushy tailed ready to go, and workers are on site by sunrise.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the issue right now is whether or not the buildings need to be demolished in order for the archeological survey to proceed. Even if the area is cleared, I don't construction will start right away but it would be a start.

I'm still wondering how the city with make up for the money lost in depreciation?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the issue right now is whether or not the buildings need to be demolished in order for the archeological survey to proceed. Even if the area is cleared, I don't construction will start right away but it would be a start.

I'm still wondering how the city with make up for the money lost in depreciation?

This. Sue those billionaires whole bankrolled Grossman's vanity project.

Reactions: UTEPMiners8106
Damn that's crazy. There might be money changing hands somewhere.

it’s only obvious there will be another stall tactic somewhere. They probably have their next injunction ready to go in the event they lose their suit. Weren’t they claiming it was a Mescalero camp a couple of months back?

unless he finds a new avenue to fight in (which he may well have lined up) sooner or later courts will be hip to this game and refuse to hear yet another contrived argument. Appeals only work for so long once the courts have heard enough.

unless he finds a new avenue to fight in (which he may well have lined up) sooner or later courts will be hip to this game and refuse to hear yet another contrived argument. Appeals only work for so long once the courts have heard enough.

I’m sure that millionaire bankrolling his fight has paid for attorneys who are well versed in BS. They have to have several more bullets in the chamber ready to fire down range at a moment’s notice. Imagine how much they’re getting paid per hour for these suits? They have to keep this case active, it’s an easy meal ticket.

I’m sure that millionaire bankrolling his fight has paid for attorneys who are well versed in BS. They have to have several more bullets in the chamber ready to fire down range at a moment’s notice. Imagine how much they’re getting paid per hour for these suits? They have to keep this case active, it’s an easy meal ticket.

True dat. Whatever Grossman's endgame, the lawyers don't care. They get paid either way.

The history he is using is strictly from a source from some NMSU professor but doesn't make sense?

https://elpasoheraldpost.com/tag/duranguito/

From Wiki:

"Although there was no combat in the region during the Mexican Independence, Paso del Norte experienced the negative effects it had on the trade of its wines and produce that kept the town alive. It also experienced a major avulsion that left the towns of Ysleta, San Elizario and Socorro on the other side of the Rio Grande.[4]

In the first Mexican constitution (1824), given the dominance that Chihuahuan merchants had on New Mexico, Paso del Norte went to the state of Chihuahua after being part of New Mexico for 200 years. The town elected its first local government in 1825 and opened the first official school in 1829."

Notice Grossman makes nor reference to the infamous gringos who moved into the region like James W. Magoffin et al and while there is history of the natives of Ysleta or Isleta there is no other mention of the NMSU professors claim? The Spaniards did keep meticulous records, especially the Spanish clergy that traveled with them, but he is putting the cart before the horse and that is based on one source and needs further research.

My arm chair jurisprudence would be to continue with demolition, but if one native american artifact is discovered, digging comes to halt. This is S.O.P for archaeologist and governments internationally.

Also from Wiki:

"....It took six months for a trading caravan to reach Mexico City. American spies, traders and fur trappers visited the area since 1804 (Spanish documents curiously described these interlopers as "españoles de Inglaterra" meaning "Spaniards from England") and some intermarried with the area's Hispanic elite. Among these were Kentucky native Hugh Stephenson, who married doña Juana María de Azcárate. Notable travelers included Zebulon Pike. American settler families only arrived in significant numbers, after the Mexican–American War in 1849"

So if Jane Doe is building a new 2,000 sf home near Hueco Tanks and discovers a belt buckle from a carrier from the Pony Express do they halt construction? Hell no. Humans build upon the previous ancestors. I'm not saying it is right or wrong, but it happens. El Paso goes back farther than the Founding Fathers and nothing would get done if we follow the Grossman way of logic. Does UTEP stop building on their site? EPCC Transmountain campus was built on a native american camp/way point. They dug up the artifacts and building continued.

For example, this is worth preserving because there is documented evidence upon documented evidence:

fall.jpg

The Fall Mansion

"The two-story Classical Revival mansion was home to Kentucky-born Albert Bacon Fall (1861-1944). He gained notoriety as a circuit judge in the New Mexico Territory and served as the new state’s first elected senator from 1912-1921, where he was recognized as an expert in U.S.-Mexico affairs. Appointed as the Secretary of the Interior under President Warren G. Harding,

he served from 1921-1923 and was convicted of accepting a bribe during the Teapot Dome scandal. The house is significant because of the connection to Fall’s life, and its age and architectural design."

http://www.preservationtexas.org/endangered/albert-fall-mansion-1907/

I haven’t kept up with this anymore. Is he fighting the language of the arena that it shouldn’t host “sports” or is that it’s an old burial site?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT