6. Mike Price
11. Charlie West

3. Fred Carr
14. Jon Dorenbos

7. Antoine Gillispie
10. Johnnie Lee Higgins

2. Jim Bad News Barnes
15. Chris Forbes

Tell me what you guys think. Did I at least get the number one seeds right? I came up with about 75 names.

I think you did well. These is what I would choose:

Westside Bracket

1. Don Haskins

9. Eddie Rivera

12. Eddie Guerrero

4. Tony Tolbert

6. Randy Culpepper

3. David Lattin

10. Frank Castillo

2. Lee Trevino

EL Chuco Bracket

1. Andy Cohen

8. Marlon Maxey

5. Bob Stull

13. Brian Young

6. Omar Thomas

3. Gus Bailey

10. Jim Paul

2. Tim Hardaway

Eastside Bracket

1. Nolan Richarson

9. Bob Beamon

12. Butch Henry

4. Seth Joyner

6. Fili Rivera

3. Bobby Joe Hill

10. Antonio Davis

2. Nate Tiny Archibald

Lower Valley Bracket

1. Don Maynard

8. Chris Jacke

5. Billy Gillispie

13. Quintin Demps

6. Mike Price

3. Fred Carr

10. Johnnie Lee Higgins

2. Jim Bad News Barnes

Reactions: JCorona
Where's Kurt Russell?

kur-russell.jpg

Chris Forbes!! My guy!!

My Architectural Drafting teacher at Austin used to mention a very good high school baseball player and coach. Went to Bowie? Both names will come to me, may take a week, but they'll come. The player had a bar later in life (on Yandell??). Anyway, since it's El Paso stars - he should get Honorable Mention. A play in game?

Also, wasn't Coach Haskins son a semi good pro golfer? Another Hon. Men.?

Why is someone like Eddie Guerrero, who was an actual El Pasoan, a lower seed than Eddie and Fili Rivera? Those guys spent 2 years here for college and probably never lived here after.

Why is someone like Eddie Guerrero, who was an actual El Pasoan, a lower seed than Eddie and Fili Rivera? Those guys spent 2 years here for college and probably never lived here after.
Totally subjective(my opinion) I just tried to seed them in importance and substance to their sport or influence to the city. I'm only 49 so I can't really speak to the guys from the '50s, '60s I did include a few. Jesse Whittenton, I had never heard of him after being drafted from Texas Western in the f5th round he played nine seasons for Green Bay, and is in the Packers Hall of Fame. He also played in The Seniors PGA tour in the late '80s.

Totally subjective(my opinion) I just tried to seed them in importance and substance to their sport or influence to the city. I'm only 49 so I can't really speak to the guys from the '50s, '60s I did include a few. Jesse Whittenton, I had never heard of him after being drafted from Texas Western in the f5th round he played nine seasons for Green Bay, and is in the Packers Hall of Fame. He also played in The Seniors PGA tour in the late '80s.

So in your opinion, Eddie and Fili Rivera influenced the city more than Eddie Guerrero?

Isn't that what I said?

If you asked a 10 year old, 20 year old, 30 year old, 40 year old, and 50 year old, they would all be able to tell you who Eddie Guerrero is. Eddie Guerrero was a worldwide star. Nobody outside of El Paso and Puerto Rico would even know who you were talking about if you brought up Eddie or Fili. 10 year old boys know who Guerrero is, the point guards are nobodies.

You’re 1,000,000 % wrong about this.

First of all "pro" Wrestling is a marginal sport. Second, it's a scripted sport. Finally, it's just for fun. So in your opinion, Eddie Guerrero would be a number 1 seed? More people probably know him than Don Haskins as well.

Last edited:
First of all "pro" Wrestling in a marginal sport. Second, it's a scripted sport. Finally, it's just for fun. So in your opinion, Eddie Guerrero would be a number 1 seed? More people probably know him than Don Haskins as well.

Again, Guerrero was a true El Pasoan, who wasn’t just here for 2 years during college. He deserves to be higher than those 2 point guards. Anyone who lived in El Paso for an extended period should be higher than just guys that came and went during college.

Just my opinion. Aaron Jones should probably be higher and his influence is greater than a lot of those ranked higher than him.

Again, Guerrero was a true El Pasoan, who wasn’t just here for 2 years during college. He deserves to be higher than those 2 point guards. Anyone who lived in El Paso for an extended period should be higher than just guys that came and went during college.

Just my opinion. Aaron Jones should probably be higher and his influence is greater than a lot of those ranked higher than him.

Anytime you seed something there will be debates. So while makes your final 4?

For me:

Westside

1. Don Haskins

El Chuco

2. Tim Hardaway

Eastside

1. Nolan Richardson

Lower Valley - Lots of upsets

14. Jon Dorenbos
(Continues to be a Cinderella Story)

Reactions: develman
EL Chuco Bracket
5. Bob Stull
12. Lee Mays
5-12 Upset that everyone can see.

7. Jon Tiecher
10. Jim Paul
Another upset! JT, Dave South, Craig Way - they’re all good, but Jim Paul was special!

Lower Valley Bracket
7. Antoine Gillispie
10. Johnnie Lee Higgins
Don’t care who wins, this goes down to the wire and then goes into triple OT!

I can appreciate your effort, develman. Nicely done.

In the end, I may end up going with jcorona’s suggestion as to who should win this thing, but I’m game to see how it all plays out.

Ummmmm.....No Bobby Dobbs? The last true (somewhat) successful HC football coach for UTEP.

What about

Andy Reid

You also forgot about one of best track stars to come out of Utep. I think his name is Oba Thompson He ran in the Olympics .

What about Kenny Thomas ?? One of of the local players out of EL Paso probably the best.

Looks like you have to scratch original bracket and start over. Lol

Off the top of my head: Mark McCall, Cliff Tucker, Kristina Higgins, Ray Mickens, Rufus Brown, Ed Britton, Mark Grudzielanek, Alan Zinter, Omar Quintanilla, Rich Beem, JP Hayes, Tex Cobb, Austin Trout, David Rodriguez, Cilff 'Magic' Thomas, Tuff Hedeman.

Some may not be that affiliated with EP, not sure, bit we could come up with 32 just from EP and another 32 just from UTEP.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
I was gonna be snarky and say that all you guys with such good ideas about who should be in the tournament, seeded in a certain way, etc, should create your own version. But I won’t say that.:)

I don't feel like it. Develman was the one that brought it up he has to do it.

Off the top of my head: Mark McCall, Cliff Tucker, Kristina Higgins, Ray Mickens, Rufus Brown, Ed Britton, Mark Grudzielanek, Alan Zinter, Omar Quintanilla, Rich Beem, JP Hayes, Tex Cobb, Austin Trout, David Rodriguez, Cilff 'Magic' Thomas, Tuff Hedeman.

Some may not be that affiliated with EP, not sure, bit we could come up with 32 just from EP and another 32 just from UTEP.

I was going to say Rufus Brown. What about that RB or FB that played for Soccoro or Jefferson? He went to LSU but got in trouble for juicing. I forgot his name.

I was going to say Rufus Brown. What about that RB or FB that played for Soccoro or Jefferson? He went to LSU but got in trouble for juicing. I forgot his name.
I think he went to Riverside. Cant remember his name. When I read Jefferson I thought of Andre Sessions.

Oh and why no women on there??

Kayla Thorthon??
Keitha Adams??

Does Utep Women's track had some good runners?
No women in my bracket, you could make a women's bracket though, I won't complain. Obadele Thompson is in the first bracket.

Reactions: FarWestTexas

Shawn Jordan? He was a national champion with LSU. Probably more "El Pasoan" than many listed.

A few missing El Pasoans would be Eric Jack (wound up playing about 2 years with the Falcons). William Doctor played for the Huskies. Was he on the 91 national championship team?

Honestly the biggest omission would be the great Suleiman Nyambui. He would be above Bob Beamon or Obadele Thompson. Nyambui was a 15 time NCAA champion (2nd all time in NCAA history) and was the cornerstone of 11 national championship teams. Also a silver medalist at the 1980 Olympics in Moscow. Probably the most accomplished collegiate athlete in UTEP history. He would easily be a 1 seed.

Other omissions from UTEP would be Anthony Rotich, Olapade Adeniken and Hans Hoglund.

Also, the late Ted Banks coached 17 national championship teams from 1972-81 in outdoor and indoor track and cross country.

That's 16 more than Don Haskins and he coached 29 fewer years at UTEP.

I would add Francisco Marinho (RIP). He's not originally from El Paso, but spent several years here. Coached the UTEP club program, the El Paso Patriots and played for Brasil in the 1974 world cup. The reason El Paso men soccer is as good as it is because of that dude... He also liked to party

Honestly the biggest omission would be the great Suleiman Nyambui. He would be above Bob Beamon or Obadele Thompson. Nyambui was a 15 time NCAA champion (2nd all time in NCAA history) and was the cornerstone of 11 national championship teams. Also a silver medalist at the 1980 Olympics in Moscow. Probably the most accomplished collegiate athlete in UTEP history. He would easily be a 1 seed.

Other omissions from UTEP would be Anthony Rotich, Olapade Adeniken and Hans Hoglund.
They weren't omissions only 64 spots. IMO, no way for a track star to be a number 1 seed. Might as well have a wrestler as a 1 seed. I'm partial to Football and basketball like most of the US.

They weren't omissions only 64 spots. IMO, no way for a track star to be a number 1 seed. Might as well have a wrestler as a 1 seed. I'm partial to Football and basketball like most of the US.

I think you got the #1 seeds correct.

15 NCAA championships and on 11 national championship teams?

Blows away anyone else on this list; including Don Haskins

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT