ADVERTISEMENT

El Paso Times UTEP Football Beat Writer.

UTEPDefense

MI Hall of Famer
Oct 8, 2002
Bret Bloomquist keeps mentioning that Kelvin Fisher Jr. played at Houston. According to today's article below, Fisher apparently also graduated from Houston, played WR at Houston and also played all over the Secondary while he was at Houston. This is now the 2nd different Article this Spring, where Bloomquist has stated that Fisher transferred from Houston. I think it is somewhat odd, that a fan like myself knows that Fisher transferred from Arkansas....not Houston! Damian Payne who graduated LAST YEAR, was the transfer from Houston, not Fisher(BTW, according to the UTEP website, Bloomquist also misspelled Damian's name in today's article as well). Shouldn't a Beat Writer, who attends almost every practice, have a better player knowledge than myself?

From today's Bret Bloomquist Article:

>"I'm a lot more comfortable this year," said Fisher, Jr., who transferred in last August after graduating from Houston and played both safety and cornerback in 2014 in a reserve capacity. "Getting in last year a couple of days before camp, getting the playbook then, I had been talking with coach (Gabe) Franklin but it's not the same as being there. My comfort level is a lot better now."

Part of that is settling in at one position. He played receiver as well as everywhere in the secondary at Houston, focused in on defense last year and now seems exclusively a safety. That could change as his versatility is a big asset, but right now Fisher likes having one spot to concentrate on.<

From Kelvin Fisher Jr. UTEP Bio:

8 Kelvin Fisher Jr.
Class:
Senior
Hometown:
Gilbert, Ariz.
Last College:
Arkansas
Height / Weight:
5-11 / 195
Position:
DB
PRIOR TO UTEP: Saw action in six games in 2013 as a Razorback ... recorded one tackle in Arkansas' 31-21 victory vs. Samford ... logged minutes versus Louisiana, Southern Mississippi, Rutgers, No. 10 Texas A&M and No. 1 Alabama ... in 2012 Fisher saw action in two games, appearing at Mississippi State and versus No. 8 LSU ... worked with the scout team his freshman season while redshirting ... moved from cornerback to running back during preseason practices ... Rated as the No. 15 safety recruit in the nation by Scout.com and 26th overall athlete in the nation by Rivals.com ... product of head coach Jim Beall's system at Higley HS, saw action at running back and defensive back throughout his prep career ... in 2010, totaled more than 2,000 rushing yards and scored 29 touchdowns on the ground ... rushed for over 200 yards four times as a senior ... on the defensive side, made 71 tackles, snatched five interceptions and made eight pass deflections ... notched two 10-tackle performances ... named to the Arizona Republic's All-Arizona team, taking a cornerback slot on the first-team defense ... signed with Arkansas after also considering Oregon, Washington, Arizona State and Pittsburg.

This post was edited on 4/7 12:25 AM by UTEPDefense

http://www.elpasotimes.com/sports/ci_27859778/two-dbs-offensive-tackle-make-moves-spring

How about just correcting him? Is there another reason why you're having him walk the plank, so to speak?

who cares. Some of you people need to get a hobby or something.

Originally posted by FiliUTEP:

Jounalistic integrity is a big deal. UTEP football is the universities cash cow and highest profile sport, as well as the biggest sports story in El Paso. It is not to much to ask that the UTEP beat writer get simple facts straight. Constantly misidentifying a players previous school is not only lazy but bushleague.

I certainly agree that for Bloomquist to get his players confused(as he did with Fisher) and to misspell their name(as he did with Payne) are not the biggest mistakes in the world, but it does seem unprofessional that he has now made this same mistake in multiple articles this Spring Ball.

As another example; on Football Signing Day, Bloomquist reported in his article that Forrest would be signing with UTEP. The problem is that 2 nights before Bloomquist wrote his article, the guys at MinerRush had already done the work and reported that Forrest would not be signing with UTEP and was going to go the Prep School route instead. So when I read Bloomquist's article 2 days later, I knew that he was reporting the wrong information. Again, it is not the biggest deal in the world, but it just seems odd that the only person who is actually getting paid to cover UTEP Football, doesn't seem to be fully engaged while performing his job.

It's the offseason now and the beginning of the long summer, so this is simply a new Miner related topic to have a conversation over.

Originally posted by Minerforlife:

Originally posted by El Paso Chihuahuas:

as well as the biggest sports story in El Paso.
I think the Chihuahuas are bigger than UTEP athletics.
No not even close.
You're right. It isn't close. The Chihuahuas are immensely popular compared to UTEP athletics. Chihuahuas sell out most of their games and are on track to do the same things again this year. I see more Chihuahuas gear in El Paso than UTEP gear. When I travel I wear my Chihuahuas cap and people comment on it all the time. This is the best thing that has ever happened to El Paso and it just shows El Paso will support a quality product.

This post was edited on 4/7 6:57 PM by El Paso Chihuahuas

Yeah I just don't think so.

Chihuahuas are the cool new hot spot. Like a trendy new bar like say...Rubix. I love the chihuahuas, but UTEP athletics is still bigger. just MY opinion homie....

Originally posted by Ronstr300:

Yeah I just don't think so.

Chihuahuas are the cool new hot spot. Like a trendy new bar like say...Rubix. I love the chihuahuas, but UTEP athletics is still bigger. just MY opinion homie....
Just curious what your reasons are for saying UTEP athletics is bigger than the Chihuahuas. UTEP couldn't even sell out home game when they hosted the Conference USA tournament. UTEP basketball and football draw well, but it's just not the same as the Chihuahuas. The Chihuahuas have 72 game and they sold out the majority of the game. Their Facebook page became the most liked Facebook page of any Minor League team in 1 year. I could go on and on.

I love going to UTEP football and basketball game, but going to a Chihuahuas game is a league in its own. It's a first class organization that does well with promotions and giveaways. I wish I could say the same about UTEP athletics.

El Paso is a baseball city. Always has been and always will be. The Chihuahuas will be doing well for many, many years to come.

No not even close.
You're right. It isn't close. The Chihuahuas are immensely popular compared to UTEP athletics. Chihuahuas sell out most of their games and are on track to do the same things again this year. I see more Chihuahuas gear in El Paso than UTEP gear. When I travel I wear my Chihuahuas cap and people comment on it all the time. This is the best thing that has ever happened to El Paso and it just shows El Paso will support a quality product.

If you are right thats just sad. In Reno, Albuquerque and Fresno the universities are a much bigger story than the tripple a baseball teams. The Chihuahuas tickets are cheaper than utep football and basketball. In the end its a minor league sport its entertaining but the results in the win loss column are meaningless, its all about development. El paso likes shiney new things the novelty of the chihuhuas will wear off. The city has had several minor league teams that started off well and were popular then folded. Just look at the Diablos, Buzzards Patriots and Rumble. Its way to early to declare the chihuahuas a success. As for the merchandise the marketing department was genious with the name. At first it was controversial and drummed up publicity. Chihuahuas was a unique mascot that made cool looking merchandise. They arent the first minor league team to hit it big with a unique name. The isotopes gear sold like wildfire when it came out now it has cooled, the market for Chihuahuas gear will also cool. Its beyond ludicrous to say UTEP sports isnt as big as the chihuahuas. People outside of El Paso dont know any of the chihuahuas players names, watch them on tv or bet on the games. Sometimes you make good points but other times like this you try to piss on UTEP by making ridiculous claims. Do you also think the isotopes are bigger than unm, that the aces are bigger than nevada and that the fresno team whos name escapes me is bigger than Fresno State?

No not even close.

If you are right thats just sad. In Reno, Albuquerque and Fresno the universities are a much bigger story than the tripple a baseball teams. The Chihuahuas tickets are cheaper than utep football and basketball. In the end its a minor league sport its entertaining but the results in the win loss column are meaningless, its all about development. El paso likes shiney new things the novelty of the chihuhuas will wear off. The city has had several minor league teams that started off well and were popular then folded. Just look at the Diablos, Buzzards Patriots and Rumble. Its way to early to declare the chihuahuas a success. As for the merchandise the marketing department was genious with the name. At first it was controversial and drummed up publicity. Chihuahuas was a unique mascot that made cool looking merchandise. They arent the first minor league team to hit it big with a unique name. The isotopes gear sold like wildfire when it came out now it has cooled, the market for Chihuahuas gear will also cool. Its beyond ludicrous to say UTEP sports isnt as big as the chihuahuas. People outside of El Paso dont know any of the chihuahuas players names, watch them on tv or bet on the games. Sometimes you make good points but other times like this you try to piss on UTEP by making ridiculous claims. Do you also think the isotopes are bigger than unm, that the aces are bigger than nevada and that the fresno team whos name escapes me is bigger than Fresno State?
You really think the novelty of the Chihuahuas is going to wear off? I don't think so. It's just going to get bigger. They sold more season ticket this year than last year. When Jim Paul was owner they did very very well for many many years. Fortunately there won't be problems with a change in ownership, so this team will be in good hands for many years to come.

The Diablos didn't fold. The team was sold. They had huge success for multiple decades.

The Patriots and Rumble weren't minor league teams.

I am not comparing any other minor league teams, only the Chihuahuas versus UTEP.

Just go online and look at the tickets remaining. First weekend is about sold out, July 3 is almost sold out, Championship Game is almost sold out.

This post was edited on 4/7 7:24 PM by El Paso Chihuahuas

This post was edited on 4/7 7:27 PM by El Paso Chihuahuas

This post was edited on 4/7 7:28 PM by El Paso Chihuahuas

Sometimes you make good points but other times like this you try to piss on UTEP by making ridiculous claims.
I never pissed on UTEP. All I said was I think the Chihuahuas are a bigger sports story than UTEP athletics. I didn't say anything bad about UTEP. Geez- some people are so sensitive on here.

I like the chihuahuas they are great entertainment. However, they dont compare to UTEP athletics. You keep touting their attendance they only have 7,500 seats to sell. The tickets are very cheap. Im not suprised they have sold out the opening series and fourth of july weekend thats par for the course for minor league baseball. Triple A baseball is entertaining but its not nearly as big a deal as UTEP athletics. What you are saying is that triple A baseball is bigger than division 1 football and basketball we both know thats not the case. Thats why i asked you about about the other three cities. Triple a baseball doesnt trump division 1 sports in any city.

I like the chihuahuas they are great entertainment. However, they dont compare to UTEP athletics. You keep touting their attendance they only have 7,500 seats to sell. The tickets are very cheap. Im not suprised they have sold out the opening series and fourth of july weekend thats par for the course for minor league baseball. Triple A baseball is entertaining but its not nearly as big a deal as UTEP athletics. What you are saying is that triple A baseball is bigger than division 1 football and basketball we both know thats not the case. Thats why i asked you about about the other three cities. Triple a baseball doesnt trump division 1 sports in any city.
UTEP tickets are cheap too. You can see a UTEP football game for $12 and a basketball game for $8.

That's not par for the course. Look at other minor league teams. Many can't sell out opening day and July 3rd games.

You keep putting words into by mouth. I never said AAA baseball is bigger than Division I football. I am not comparing other cities, I am comparing teams in El Paso. I said the Chihuahuas are a bigger sports story than UTEP athletics. Nothing more, nothing less.

I wonder how many people fly in to catch a Chihuahua's game. Or travel with the team to away games? UTEP is the bigger draw because it's a different mindset. EP Chih. give you something to do, but UTEP is something you prepare for, "season tickets" I don't see many Chihuahua's online forums either...

Yes, they are doing very well. Thats a big kudos to EP, but UTEP will always be the big dog in EP. Unless a pro team came to town...

Originally posted by shyminer81:
I wonder how many people fly in to catch a Chihuahua's game. Or travel with the team to away games? UTEP is the bigger draw because it's a different mindset. EP Chih. give you something to do, but UTEP is something you prepare for, "season tickets" I don't see many Chihuahua's online forums either...

Yes, they are doing very well. Thats a big kudos to EP, but UTEP will always be the big dog in EP. Unless a pro team came to town...
I know people from out of town who flew in to watch a Chihuahuas game. I know people who traveled to Albuquerque to watch the Chihuahuas play.

What's the different mindset? I have season tickets and so do most people I know who love baseball. There is a lot of activity on the Chihuahuas Facebook page. Really no need for an online forum.

I know multiple people who prepare for each season. I've been preparing for the season until Spring Training started.

I'm just going by my personal experiences. I can't wait for opening day and there are a multiple amount of people that feel the same day. It's a totally different feeling compared to the first football or basketball game. I think you have to be a baseball fan to understand this. El Paso is a baseball city. Always has been and always will be.

Like I said, it's the cool new thing. It's the hot spot. Don't get me wrong, they are doing an awesome job with promotions and the ballpark itself. Where I think UTEP trumps it is in recognition. While the Chihuahuas DO sell out quite often (new game in town thing), and they have great success in marketing and planning, I don't think that necessarily makes them "bigger" than UTEP.
How many people can name 3 or more players on the roster from last year or this year? How many people can tell us how many games we won, what place we finished, who is the manager, etc....The Chihuahuas are about the experience, not the team. UTEP sports is about the team. Poll El Pasoans and a good percentage know players, coaches, records, conference, etc.

When UTEP is winning, you see UTEP gear popping up on everybody in town. Hell, you see it anyway. While I do see a lot of Chihuahua stuff, especially caps, it doesn't even come close.

The Chihuahuas were built on family first. There is a LOT aimed at the kids because in a baseball game, there is a lot of downtime. It is very smart. At a UTEP basketball or football game, there is action all the time. Not much free time to keep the kids busy.

And like I said, this is only my opinion....

Originally posted by Ronstr300:
Like I said, it's the cool new thing. It's the hot spot. Don't get me wrong, they are doing an awesome job with promotions and the ballpark itself. Where I think UTEP trumps it is in recognition. While the Chihuahuas DO sell out quite often (new game in town thing), and they have great success in marketing and planning, I don't think that necessarily makes them "bigger" than UTEP.
How many people can name 3 or more players on the roster from last year or this year? How many people can tell us how many games we won, what place we finished, who is the manager, etc....The Chihuahuas are about the experience, not the team. UTEP sports is about the team. Poll El Pasoans and a good percentage know players, coaches, records, conference, etc.

When UTEP is winning, you see UTEP gear popping up on everybody in town. Hell, you see it anyway. While I do see a lot of Chihuahua stuff, especially caps, it doesn't even come close.

The Chihuahuas were built on family first. There is a LOT aimed at the kids because in a baseball game, there is a lot of downtime. It is very smart. At a UTEP basketball or football game, there is action all the time. Not much free time to keep the kids busy.

And like I said, this is only my opinion....
I can guarantee you more people can name three players from the Chihuahuas vs. three players from the UTEP football or basketball teams. It is about the team. Most people who even attended one Chihuahuas game last year would know who Cody Decker is, Jeff Francoeur, etc. I don't know what part of the city you live in, but I rarely see people wearing UTEP gear. I see Chihuahuas gear all the time.

I can't get many people excited about UTEP athletics- you can give tickets away for free and still people wouldn't want to go to UTEP games. I've never seen more people excited about a sporting event in El Paso (who aren't really even sports fans) than people who go to Chihuahuas games.

If you think UTEP athletics is more popular than the Chihuahuas, then you're more than welcome to think that. I'm just going by what I see around the city, people stopping me on the street in other cities noticing my cap, etc. The Chihuahuas are here to stay and I think the greatest thing to ever happen to El Paso.

Ha, you all fell for chi, hook, line and sinker! Completely changed the conversation about inept sports writing/reporting from our local paper. Look, none of you are going to change chi's mind...if he says Chihuahua's baseball is king in El Paso, then its gospel, gentlemen. Even if its only been one year. He will turn any point of view you present and debunk them with his own weird facts. I mean, he guarantees his facts. I don't know how, but he does. Look, I'm a huge Chihuahuas fan, love 'em. Its great sports entertainment, win or lose. But this is the way I see it: What would El Paso identify with, and be more proud of? A Championship from UTEP Basketball or Football? Or from the Chihuahuas? Is it more important for the people of El Paso for the Miners to win the conference and make the Dance or win the conference and get a great Bowl game, or the Chihuahua's to finish first? Last year nobody gave a hoot. Because its not about the win or the loss at a Chihuahuas game, its the place to be and they do provide a good night of entertainment in quality baseball, a beautiful park, good service. Was anybody calling for the manager's head or questioning his hire when they started off terribly last year? Will they this year? No! It's all about the entertainment for the Chihuahuas. They could could continue with the sell outs for the next five years (and I hope they do), and never be above .500, and I'll guarantee El Paso will not care. Not the way they do about UTEP's records in the two major sports. That's what would make El Paso proud. Naming players, jeez, who cares! People can't even name the states that border Texas! Anyway, my take and I'm sticking to it, the way Chi will stick to his. Only, I'm right.

I love the chihuahuas, but to say they are the greatest thing to happen to El Paso, ever, is just asinine. The 66 championship, trumps that, by far. There is a lot more people wearing UTEP gear in the city than chihuahua gear, you're just used to seeing people wearing UTEP gear, chihuahuas gear, not so much, it's new. Let's put it this way... I guarantee you that more people know who Keitha Adams is over Brad Taylor or Pat Murphy, combined. When in line at the concessions stands at chihuahuas games, you'll hear talk of UTEP football and basketball, at UTEP games you'll hear talk about going to Southwest University park.

The chihuahuas are great for El Paso entertainment, but they aren't even close to taking over El Paso athletics, unless you're a hardcore baseball fan.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT