ADVERTISEMENT

Elephant in the room

Because Frazier is better. Solomon is also better defensively and in the post. Sibley is solid, it`s a good thing that the team is strong enough that the best returning player is coming off the bench and being productive.
This might become a issue later. I know if I was Sibley I wouldn't be happy. Sibley did end up playing more though.

This might become a issue later. I know if I was Sibley I wouldn't be happy. Sibley did end up playing more though.
Yeah i feel like with this team, it really does not matter who starts. Most of them are going to play significant minutes. Silbley played 30 minutes against Texas. He just has to knock down open shots when he is in there.

He has also played more or equal minutes than Frazier and Solomon in every game this season. So I do not think it is that big of a deal that he is not starting.
If he is playing more minutes, then why doesn't he start?? I dont understand why coaches do this.

Reactions: kickballpro
If he is playing more minutes, then why doesn't he start?? I dont understand why coaches do this.
A lot of coaches have one of the five best players as the sixth man. One of the reasons that Fanatico references above is that it gives the team a lift off if the bench. OT, for example, was sixth man for BCG's NCAA Tournament team. Also, there's an old saying: "it's not who starts the game, it's who finishes it."

I honestly don't know why I keep commenting on this, but here are two more points:

1. In Doc Sadler's first season we were playing Southern Illinois in the finals of one the early season exempt tournaments, haven beaten ASU the night before. We were killing them to start the game. Sadler then took OT, JW, and Fili out and substituted in Stanley Branch, Kelvin Davis, and Vernon Carr. We quickly lost the lead and the momentum, and ended up losing the game. Now while it was obviously a mistake to sub out all three of our best players at once, it also hurt not having any punch off of the bench.
  2. Sibley has seemed to adjust well to the assignment. Last night he scored 13 points on 6-9 shooting, and had 2 assists and 4 board in 19 minutes. It's certainly possible that Golding has explained Sibley's role on the team to him and he has accepted it.

Billy G refused to start OT even though he was our most prolific scorer. I think he just liked the idea of bringing our "secret weapon" in off the bench.

Billy G refused to start OT even though he was our most prolific scorer. I think he just liked the idea of bringing our "secret weapon" in off the bench.
I remember when Tim Floyd benched Randy Culpepper, and let's not forget Poppavich with Ginobili. Like I said I dont understand the logic in not starting your best player. Maybe it's a teaching tactic?? But coaches these days need to be careful with that tactic. Now with the transfer portal, a player might not feel like being coached, and decide to just transfer.

I remember when Tim Floyd benched Randy Culpepper, and let's not forget Poppavich with Ginobili. Like I said I dont understand the logic in not starting your best player. Maybe it's a teaching tactic?? But coaches these days need to be careful with that tactic. Now with the transfer portal, a player might not feel like being coached, and decide to just transfer.
Sibley isn't close to our best player. Although he has the potential. He obviously doesn't have the confidence.

Also depends on who coach wants in at the END of the game. It's not how you start it's how you finish. At least that's what my wife tells me.

BFR8JTYCQAAeppC.jpg:large

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT