ADVERTISEMENT

Every BYU walk-on football player receives NIL deal

Nice to see some no-name college athletes benefiting from NIL sponsorships as well.
Schools like Alabama and Ohio State are going to have classes of 40 recruits each year. They'll do the standard 25 and then the other 15 will be walk-ons that have they're expenses paid for by NIL deals. It's only a matter of time now before there's another division of football.

Schools like Alabama and Ohio State are going to have classes of 40 recruits each year. They'll do the standard 25 and then the other 15 will be walk-ons that have they're expenses paid for by NIL deals. It's only a matter of time now before there's another division of football.
You’re probably right. This really will expand the gulf between the haves and the have nots

Yep. The 85 scholarship limit in fb just got blown up.

Yep. The 85 scholarship limit in fb just got blown up.
Not really. There’s still only 11 players on the field at a time and only so many plays. I don’t think there will be that many good players willing to walk on at Ohio St when they can get a scholarship at a MAC school.

Getting a scholarship is still a status symbol for young people. Nobody wants to have a signing day announcement that they’re walking onto Ohio St to be the 4th string free safety.

Not really. There’s still only 11 players on the field at a time and only so many plays. I don’t think there will be that many good players willing to walk on at Ohio St when they can get a scholarship at a MAC school.

Getting a scholarship is still a status symbol for young people. Nobody wants to have a signing day announcement that they’re walking onto Ohio St to be the 4th string free safety.
Agree. There is always going to be that diamond or two in the rough, but most guys after the first 85 (traditional walk-ons) are not going to add much in terms of playing time.

Not because of this issue in particular, but I do agree with whoever said another division of cfb is probably going to form. The haves and have nots will eventually split.

Been saying for years on here that the G5 will be to the (current) P5, what the FCS is to the G5.

It’s like the cartel of cfb wrote it on the wall a while back.

Last edited:
Just playing devils advocate but American athletics has become a 24/7 industry, the competition is fierce with kids kids dreaming of a D1 offer.

Second, mid majors are pouring gobs of cash into their facilities and escrowing money to pay better salaries.

Third, this is college athletics. Bama and Ohio State can't declare pro status. The "have's" have discovered they need the mid majors. They were upset because too many teams were allowed FBS; however, scheduling is a batch and while FCS teams are ways available they have limitations for P5 schools.

In conclusion, the UTEP's, NMSU'S and San Jose State's now have an uphill battle after the SCOTUS ruling the bigs need CUSA and Sun Belt just like they need FCS schools for that (3 year) bowl qualifier.

And let's not forget the transfer portal. It works good for team like La Tech who always seems to get that P5 qb transfer who makes them tough.

Just playing devils advocate but American athletics has become a 24/7 industry, the competition is fierce with kids kids dreaming of a D1 offer.

Second, mid majors are pouring gobs of cash into their facilities and escrowing money to pay better salaries.

Third, this is college athletics. Bama and Ohio State can't declare pro status. The "have's" have discovered they need the mid majors. They were upset because too many teams were allowed FBS; however, scheduling is a batch and while FCS teams are ways available they have limitations for P5 schools.

In conclusion, the UTEP's, NMSU'S and San Jose State's now have an uphill battle after the SCOTUS ruling the bigs need CUSA and Sun Belt just like they need FCS schools for that (3 year) bowl qualifier.
Honest request. Please explain to me why the SEC, the B10, the ACC and P12 need the G5. I’m all ears.

Reactions: Lil_Train

I hope you're right. I just think that being part of a winning situation is more important to a lot of these kids. If you're practicing everyday against NFL players, that's more likely to prepare you for the NFL then playing against guys who have no shot. I feel like that's what Alabama and Ohio State will be selling to these kids to get them to walk on.

1. Why would somebody want their 'expenses paid' just to sit on the bench? 2. Why would anybody pay these guys expenses with NIL deals when they have no way of making money back for the sponsor? Do you actually think that people are going to pay enough money to walk ons to 'pay their expenses' and their tuition like at BYU?

Last edited:
1. Why would somebody want their 'expenses paid' just to sit on the bench? 2. Why would anybody pay these guys expenses with NIL deals when they have no way of making money back for the sponsor? Do you actually think that people are going to pay enough money to walk ons to 'pay their expenses' and their tuition like at BYU?
Same reason kids pay their own way to sit on the bench now. They want to be part of a winning program. Most likely, they'll transfer out their senior year so they can get playing time somewhere else if it doesn't work out.

Yes, it's nothing to these big time donors. These big time donors just want to feel part of the program. They're willing to pay out tens of millions to do it. They're already doing it for things like stadiums and locker rooms.

Same reason kids pay their own way to sit on the bench now. They want to be part of a winning program. Most likely, they'll transfer out their senior year so they can get playing time somewhere else if it doesn't work out.

Yes, it's nothing to these big time donors. These big time donors just want to feel part of the program. They're willing to pay out tens of millions to do it. They're already doing it for things like stadiums and locker rooms.
Ok fair enough, but how is this legal under the NIL rule? What is the correlation I am missing? The rule is intended for name brand student athletes to be able to make money from NIL, not just straight out have everybody be paid or have their tuition paid. No walk-on is using their NIL to make money, they would just be using the school name or affiliation which was NOT the intention of the rule. What are walk-ons doing in return that helps the big time donors? At BYU they are gonna wear the brand name on their practice helmets, participate in experimental promotions and social media events? That is some BS. We are talking about 20k+ per walk on per year.

If this is the case then I agree that college athletics are screwed. Too bad.

Reactions: Lil_Train
Honest request. Please explain to me why the SEC, the B10, the ACC and P12 need the G5. I’m all ears.
Scheduling. It's been in sports news for the past 5 years. Remember the Kansas State game? They were desperate. Stull at that time threw out a wild figure to dissuade them. They said "OK! Deal!". Bigs have been on record saying "what are we going to do (if just us)? Beat up on each other?".

The "super conference" has been expected since 90's and now the day is here thanks to SCOTUS.

The bigs are not stupid and they know their needs. This is like employers paying below market wages with the "you're lucky to have a job" attitude. Well, labor responded with "I don't need your job. I got a better paying one" the past year. What is UTEP fan reaction? Blame the government and the democrats.

Conventionality bath water has been thrown out the window. Don't include the baby!

Reason why NCAA started scholarship limits was because alot of kids would rather sit on the bench at Oklahoma on scholarship then attend a smaller school that will never win a title. The scholarship limit helped allow players to trickle down.

But there has never been parity in College Football. We know at the start of the year its Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State, Oklahoma, and maybe someone else. Its not like the new rules changes that

Reason why NCAA started scholarship limits was because alot of kids would rather sit on the bench at Oklahoma on scholarship then attend a smaller school that will never win a title. The scholarship limit helped allow players to trickle down.

But there has never been parity in College Football. We know at the start of the year its Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State, Oklahoma, and maybe someone else. Its not like the new rules changes that
Title 9 is the reason for the limit of scholarships.

Scheduling. It's been in sports news for the past 5 years. Remember the Kansas State game? They were desperate. Stull at that time threw out a wild figure to dissuade them. They said "OK! Deal!". Bigs have been on record saying "what are we going to do (if just us)? Beat up on each other?".

The "super conference" has been expected since 90's and now the day is here thanks to SCOTUS.

The bigs are not stupid and they know their needs. This is like employers paying below market wages with the "you're lucky to have a job" attitude. Well, labor responded with "I don't need your job. I got a better paying one" the past year. What is UTEP fan reaction? Blame the government and the democrats.

Conventionality bath water has been thrown out the window. Don't include the baby!
Yes, I believe this is where it is headed. It’s just a matter of time.

To counter your reasoning, every professional league from the NFL to the NBA to Serie A, has far less teams to beat up on each other. Yet they thrive. 64ish teams is plenty big.

There was a time, within my lifetime, when NO divisions existed in cfb. Do you know why divisions were created? Because there came a time when it was so overwhelmingly evident that certain schools couldn’t keep up with the “big boys”, so Division 1, 2 and 3 were created to level the playing field. More recently 1aa, now known as fcs, was created to further separate those that couldn’t keep up.

The P5 doesn’t need the G5 for scheduling reasons any more than I need the extra 2 slices of pizza and extra few beers I had for lunch today. But it’s a habit I’m getting closer everyday to dropping.

I obviously don’t have a crystal ball, so I’m speculating, just as you are. But as I said yesterday, the writing is so on the wall in the brightest of colors. Things change. The disparity is growing. There will come a time when a new division will need to be created, just like in the past.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT