ADVERTISEMENT

EX Miner Players Posters in Uteps Practice Gym

FiliUTEP

MI Miner Maniac
Feb 1, 2010
I see that they have tim hardaway and nate Archibald and greg foster and then I see Derrick Caracter. You think its a good idea too have a poster of DC?? He really didn't have a good career in the NBA. I think he only played 1 full year and he didn't do so well. Marlon Maxey had a longer career. Well Maxey only played 2 years.
How about have a poster of Don Haskins? or do they already have one ? I haven't been inside of the practice gym. You could have a poster of Nolan Richardson also.

I hardly even consider Caracter a Miner. He wasn't about UTEP, he was about a 2nd chance. It just so happened to be the Miners' coach (at the time) with previous recruiting ties to DC, that got him here. There are many other Miners who deserve to have posters up before this guy, imho.

If they're going to hang posters in the practice gym, I would suggest: Jim Barnes, Nolan Richardson, Bobby Joe Hill, David Lattin, Harry Flournoy, Jim Forbes, Dave Feitl, and Antonio Davis to go along with Tim Bug and Tiny. Take Caracter down.

Reactions: AZminer
I hardly even consider Caracter a Miner. He wasn't about UTEP, he was about a 2nd chance. It just so happened to be the Miners' coach (at the time) with previous recruiting ties to DC, that got him here. There are many other Miners who deserve to have posters up before this guy, imho.

What's more impressive, getting drafted by the Lakers or playing for Swwuhdnisiwehbr in Russia? Putting Derrick there is better for recruiting than putting up Culpepper or Antonie Gillespie. No matter how you feel about them or whoever you consider a true Miner. DC got in the league, that's good for UTEP.

If we going to give credit to Tony Barbee for taking the Miners to NCAA tourney then it is only fair to recognize DC. He was a Miner and did get drafted after playing here.

What's more impressive, getting drafted by the Lakers or playing for Swwuhdnisiwehbr in Russia? Putting Derrick there is better for recruiting than putting up Culpepper or Antonie Gillespie. No matter how you feel about them or whoever you consider a true Miner. DC got in the league, that's good for UTEP.

I'm not one who said to take DC's poster down, I just said there are others who deserve to be up on this wall of fame, and more so than Caracter. I also said when I think UTEP, Caracter isn't exactly the epitome of Miner bb. The poster is just one recruiting gimmick among many. While a poster "might" enhance a kid's ability to imagine using UTEP as a springboard to get into the NBA as others have before him, it has a negligible effect in whether a kid will actually choose UTEP or not. Hell, most of today's kids wouldn't even know DC from Adam. I doubt a poster if him will attract any recruits, or even help to do so to tell you the truth. Again, just my humble opinion.

Reactions: STCarlosEP
Right, but you said there's other who deserve to be before him. Posters will not be a deciding factor in a recruit appearing here, but DC should be above others just because he recently got drafted and played in the league. I don't see why people hate on Barbee and DC like they put UTEP on probation. They did more than Floyd has done here as head coach, so they deserve respect.

It can't hurt that DC's poster is on the wall. And I guess it all depends on perspective as to what is important to display on a wall, or what to use as a recruiting tool. I never disliked the guy. He just isn't exactly synonymous with UTEP. No big deal. He had some monster games as a Miner and was a vital piece of the puzzle that year. I actually liked Barbee the recruiter and Barbee as coach. One had to take Barbee as he was to like him, I think. He was always looking beyond EP's horizon. Never really integrated or embedded himself into the community. Not a bad thing, just an element many El Pasoans had difficulty accepting. His success can't be overlooked tho, at least not by me.

Reactions: develman
A few people keep saying that Barbee was disliked. Obviously, we can't poll the entire fan base. It doesn't seem like the majority on this site disliked him.

Geeze, I wonder what you all think of Sandle when he came to UTEP via Arizona State and helped UTEP to a top ten ranking at the time?

"Former UTEP basketball standout Chris Sandle passed away last Wednesday night at his home in Compton, Calif., at the age of 44.

Sandle's mother, Ruby Hurd, told the Long Beach Press-Telegram that he was found dead in his bed in his apartment.
"He had been very sick," Hurd told the newspaper. "He was diagnosed with hypertension more than a year ago. And he was hospitalized for four days (last week) because of gall stones that were causing blockage and a lot of pain. He had struggled with his health for a while."
Sandle was a McDonald's All-American at Long Beach Poly High in 1984 and played his first two collegiate seasons at Arizona State. He played for UTEP in 1986-88 for two seasons. He was UTEP's second leading scorer behind Jeep Jackson in his junior season, averaging 12.9 points a game. He led UTEP in scoring in his senior season, averaging 17.1 points a game.
Sandle helped UTEP engineer an overtime upset win against Arizona his junior season. He scored 28 points in UTEP's opening-round NCAA Tournament loss to Seton Hall in 1988."

Geeze, I wonder what you all think of Sandle when he came to UTEP via Arizona State and helped UTEP to a top ten ranking at the time?

"Former UTEP basketball standout Chris Sandle passed away last Wednesday night at his home in Compton, Calif., at the age of 44.

Sandle's mother, Ruby Hurd, told the Long Beach Press-Telegram that he was found dead in his bed in his apartment.
"He had been very sick," Hurd told the newspaper. "He was diagnosed with hypertension more than a year ago. And he was hospitalized for four days (last week) because of gall stones that were causing blockage and a lot of pain. He had struggled with his health for a while."
Sandle was a McDonald's All-American at Long Beach Poly High in 1984 and played his first two collegiate seasons at Arizona State. He played for UTEP in 1986-88 for two seasons. He was UTEP's second leading scorer behind Jeep Jackson in his junior season, averaging 12.9 points a game. He led UTEP in scoring in his senior season, averaging 17.1 points a game.
Sandle helped UTEP engineer an overtime upset win against Arizona his junior season. He scored 28 points in UTEP's opening-round NCAA Tournament loss to Seton Hall in 1988."

Well, I actually liked Sandle...a lot. RIP. He was UTEP/Haskins to the core while in EP and gave the Miners two really good years. Probably would've like DC if he had stayed around long enough to get to "know" the guy. He played about 2/3 of one season and then was gonzo.

Antonio Davis is up there in a Pacers uniform. Saw it in one of the practice videos.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT