ADVERTISEMENT

Expectations

Dmanminer

MI Hall of Famer
Dec 7, 2016
No matter who is named, what are our expectations?
Mine is in in two to three years to be dominating C-USA. I do not want to settle for CBI or NIT.

Reactions: FarWestTexas
I don’t know what to expect in the first two years because regardless of what happens a coach won’t be fired. I just don’t want 2 years of horror show basketball. 3 is where in a perfect world they have a solid team that can make some sort of post season tourney.

Reactions: TxRdKiller
as long as we are playing tough defense, not making boneheaded mistakes every single game,, we aren't having roster turnover and transfers year by year, I will be happy. No drama please. I remember Billy Gillespie's first year. I think we only won a couple games but the team fought hard and it was clear that they were improving with every game. I'm still a fan of that team compared to some of the more recent ones that we've had with better talent

Very little expectations in 2021. This is an 11 win lineup. Late recruiting will just hurt the situation. Sorry to be so negative.

I am going to be positive that 2022 will be better.

Not necessarily, all depends on who Utep keeps. IF Utep somehow keeps it's core including Williams, then this will be a decent team. Now that is a Big if, but we can't predict til the transfer dust settles.

Not necessarily, all depends on who Utep keeps. IF Utep somehow keeps it's core including Williams, then this will be a decent team. Now that is a Big if, but we can't predict til the transfer dust settles.
I dont think there's any chance Williams sticks around. Doesn't seem to make sense for him. Would love to be wrong.

Expectations:
Year 1 - Won’t look at the w/l column but want to see hard nosed defense, unselfish on the offensive end, team oriented improvement over course of the season. That last one is hard to quantify but it should be evident and meet the eye test.

Year 2 - somebody else said above .500 and I agree. Evidence of a new culture taking hold and weeding out of the old. Rebounding prowess. Unrelenting defensive pressure. Steals. Transition points. Effort from start to finish.

Year 3 - All of the positives from year 2. Total culture change complete. Winning some games we “shouldn’t” be. Making our own luck. NIT bound.

Year 4 - NCAA tourney.

NCAA announcing that players now get 1 free transfer. Game changer, especially for basketball. Free agency has arrived on college sports.

You can build a team pretty quickly.

Reactions: topminer
I am on board with everyone's expectations, glad we all feel the same, this why I think its a really good hire that can turn into a homerun. Barbee or Tang I would expect to win right away, Golding is gonna do things right, we will have accountability,, faith, our coach won't be a Richard to the media and fans, and our guys will play hard and actually improve, this could turn out to be a grand slam hire in 3-4 years, lets hope the chips fall for Golding, I see a genuine person from West Texas who knows the game of hoop at this level pretty well, might even know the JUCO's even better :)

And like Kickball mentions, you can build a team quickly with the portal, but I don't see that as Golding's style, interested to see how he handles his first roster.

Its a new day Gents. Welcome Coach Golding.

I am on board with everyone's expectations, glad we all feel the same, this why I think its a really good hire that can turn into a homerun. Barbee or Tang I would expect to win right away, Golding is gonna do things right, we will have accountability,, faith, our coach won't be a Richard to the media and fans, and our guys will play hard and actually improve, this could turn out to be a grand slam hire in 3-4 years, lets hope the chips fall for Golding, I see a genuine person from West Texas who knows the game of hoop at this level pretty well, might even know the JUCO's even better :)

And like Kickball mentions, you can build a team quickly with the portal, but I don't see that as Golding's style, interested to see how he handles his first roster.

Its a new day Gents. Welcome Coach Golding.
Well said.

I'm in the minority that think we will win right away. My prediction for next season is 18+ wins and a top 6 finish. I also think we advance in the conference tournament. CBI/CIT run too.
I’ll wait until we see the staff, roster, and schedule before I predict a winning season.

Reactions: Lil_Train
I'm in the minority that think we will win right away. My prediction for next season is 18+ wins and a top 6 finish. I also think we advance in the conference tournament. CBI/CIT run too.

What's with some people's fascination with the CBI and whatever the CIT is? NCAA or NIT. Anything else is just shit and should be ignored.

What's with some people's fascination with the CBI and whatever the CIT is? NCAA or NIT. Anything else is just shit and should be ignored.
I agree with you...after the first season. Next year is I hope they play in the post season, even if it’s the CBI or CIT, not for any acclaim or recognition, but just to get the extra game time reps. After year 1, nothing other than NIT or NCAA.

We used our post season cbi run to make the NCAAS the next season. Look at all the success unt has had after winning the cbi in year one under McCasland. It shows progress and the ability to win elimination games. Which is very useful in March.

What's with some people's fascination with the CBI and whatever the CIT is? NCAA or NIT. Anything else is just shit and should be ignored
I liken the CBI to going to the New Mexico Bowl. An added amount of time for the team to work together, possibly for the next year. However, I don't believe it should be anything we should strive for or hang banners about.

I liken the CBI to going to the New Mexico Bowl. An added amount of time for the team to work together, possibly for the next year. However, I don't believe it should be anything we should strive for or hang banners about.
I agree. The CBI would only be beneficial to team with a lot of freshmen/sophs that you knew would probably be there next year. Other than that, pass.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT