ADVERTISEMENT

FAU

Frazier doesn't play all night then with 5 to 6 min left in the game you put him in? Why? WTF?

Damn.... well on a bright side the marketing team was trying out new stuff. Acrodunk, DJ and $8 buck tkts.

Tickets have always been $8.

The DJ brought nothing to the table. It doesn't make sense to have a DJ.

I liked the Acrodunk guys, but their act was way too short.

Actually, yes the fans DID applaud him.
He seemed to be into his own tunes and not paying attention to what was going on. I wonder if someone else basically turned him on and off in the arena. I expected some kind of wow factor but there wasn't. To me, I think it could be fine with the pep band and a new scoring table music dude.

In addition, he played his own mix version of songs. You can't really get into a song when he breaks it up midway through. Even our players looked puzzled.

I vote 2 thumbs down...

Reactions: Sports Talk Carlos
Yep, that would be worse

There were worse times for UTEP:

Utep`s Haskins Denies Charges
June 26, 1990

EL PASO, TEXAS — Texas-El Paso basketball coach Don Haskins angrily has denied allegations by a former recruit UTEP coaches gave the player money, housing and transportation.

The Los Angeles Times reported John Staggers told the NCAA he received such favors in 1988. The latest charges come six months after the NCAA began an investigation of UTEP`s basketball program.

pixel.gif

The newspaper also has reported former UTEP player Shelton Boykin boasted of boosters loaning players luxury cars during the 1987-88 school year. A March 1989 story in Newsday said some players talked of a ``sugar daddy``

program through which athletes received favors from fans.

Staggers said he told the NCAA UTEP furnished him with a place to live, transportation and meals during a six-week stay in El Paso in the summer of 1988. Staggers also implicated UTEP assistants Rus Bradburd, now at Ball State, and G. Ray Johnson.

``We`ve done nothing illegal,`` Haskins said. ``This is the first I`ve heard of anything like this. But I`ve been in constant contact with my assistant coaches.``

Haskins said he believes the NCAA is looking into reports former guard Tim Hardaway drove a Cadillac while at UTEP. Haskins said he drove the Cadillac while his Mazda was in the shop.

Haskins said he is adamant in warning his players not to take favors from anyone. ``I sit my players down and tell them not to take anything, anyplace,`` he said.

This was the beginning of tumultuous time for UTEP coming out of a successful and exciting decade. (Hiring Johnson will attract such scrutiny because of his past. I'm all for second chances but hiring Johnson will be his 3rd chance and at this current point in time, UTEP is rock bottom. Only about 5,500 on hand last night. Dead last in CUSA. Tactical coaching errors during games (as exhibited during the last three). This list is getting longer. Senter has to get this right for UTEP basketball and Phil is not the answer.

There were worse times for UTEP:

Utep`s Haskins Denies Charges
June 26, 1990

EL PASO, TEXAS — Texas-El Paso basketball coach Don Haskins angrily has denied allegations by a former recruit UTEP coaches gave the player money, housing and transportation.

The Los Angeles Times reported John Staggers told the NCAA he received such favors in 1988. The latest charges come six months after the NCAA began an investigation of UTEP`s basketball program.

pixel.gif

The newspaper also has reported former UTEP player Shelton Boykin boasted of boosters loaning players luxury cars during the 1987-88 school year. A March 1989 story in Newsday said some players talked of a ``sugar daddy``

program through which athletes received favors from fans.

Staggers said he told the NCAA UTEP furnished him with a place to live, transportation and meals during a six-week stay in El Paso in the summer of 1988. Staggers also implicated UTEP assistants Rus Bradburd, now at Ball State, and G. Ray Johnson.

``We`ve done nothing illegal,`` Haskins said. ``This is the first I`ve heard of anything like this. But I`ve been in constant contact with my assistant coaches.``

Haskins said he believes the NCAA is looking into reports former guard Tim Hardaway drove a Cadillac while at UTEP. Haskins said he drove the Cadillac while his Mazda was in the shop.

Haskins said he is adamant in warning his players not to take favors from anyone. ``I sit my players down and tell them not to take anything, anyplace,`` he said.

This was the beginning of tumultuous time for UTEP coming out of a successful and exciting decade. (Hiring Johnson will attract such scrutiny because of his past. I'm all for second chances but hiring Johnson will be his 3rd chance and at this current point in time, UTEP is rock bottom. Only about 5,500 on hand last night. Dead last in CUSA. Tactical coaching errors during games (as exhibited during the last three). This list is getting longer. Senter has to get this right for UTEP basketball and Phil is not the answer.

I remember some of those stories. I've been a die hard since the early/mid 80s and I'll take the early 90s ANY day, allegations included, over this current era.

I have never been so apathetic about Miner bb.

So let me rephrase. For me, it can't get much worse, although hiring Johnson full time, would be.

Reactions: Lil_Train
Actually, yes the fans DID applaud him.
He seemed to be into his own tunes and not paying attention to what was going on. I wonder if someone else basically turned him on and off in the arena. I expected some kind of wow factor but there wasn't. To me, I think it could be fine with the pep band and a new scoring table music dude.

In addition, he played his own mix version of songs. You can't really get into a song when he breaks it up midway through. Even our players looked puzzled.

I vote 2 thumbs down...

Thanks for agreeing with me.

There was nobody clapping around me. I am sure there were a few claps here and there, but it was VERY sparse.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT