ADVERTISEMENT

Fire Terry

How the **** do you know? I don’t know if I’ve ever heard a decent suggestion from you.

if you go back and look at posts from last March, I suggested firing Terry then. I’ve had others, but I respond to “how the f do I know?”

Floyd was the most Haskins protege ever, look how that worked out. The Haskins era is gone and over. We’re not going to Final 4s and being a regular NCAA tournament participant by lusting over Haskins guys.

Foster is older and likely not as hungry as a young assistant or D2 head coach. Foster would come in a talk about the 80s, defense, and Haskins. He would appeal to the older fans. He was a marginal NBA player, that very, very few of high schoolers would even know about. His “name” wouldn’t mean shit here. So what’s the point of hiring him?

I don’t know of any possible replacements for Terry, because he won’t be fired and he would be an idiot to resign during a pandemic, especially when he’s the highest paid coach ever here!

Of I'm AD and I'm hiring I want to know what kind of offense you are going to run. UTEP CANNOT afford any more boring or inept offenses. This is CUSA. We need to score points!

Reactions: FedupMiner
if you go back and look at posts from last March, I suggested firing Terry then. I’ve had others, but I respond to “how the f do I know?”

Floyd was the most Haskins protege ever, look how that worked out. The Haskins era is gone and over. We’re not going to Final 4s and being a regular NCAA tournament participant by lusting over Haskins guys.

Foster is older and likely not as hungry as a young assistant or D2 head coach. Foster would come in a talk about the 80s, defense, and Haskins. He would appeal to the older fans. He was a marginal NBA player, that very, very few of high schoolers would even know about. His “name” wouldn’t mean shit here. So what’s the point of hiring him?

I don’t know of any possible replacements for Terry, because he won’t be fired and he would be an idiot to resign during a pandemic, especially when he’s the highest paid coach ever here!
First of all, my mention of Foster has absolutely nothing to do with Haskins. The idea that GF played for DH didn’t even cross my mind. So this “lusting over Haskin’s guys” is an idea of your own making.

Second, Foster is 52 years old. He has a lot of years ahead of him. The idea that that is old and he wouldn’t have the energy of a younger DII coach is also an idea of your own making. You just don’t know but you pass it off as if you do. That he’d come in and talk about the 80s, I’m sure the hey days would be mentioned, but only as a reference of what to get back to. Because one thing I do agree with you about is, who gives a shit about the 80s at this point, other than to be used as a reference point of where we’d like to be again.

Third, I think you’re post was full of projection. Nowhere did I state that because he played at utep during the good years that he’d be able to use that as a recruiting tool. Nor did I say he was a great NBA player. Nor do I think you hire a coach just because players might know his name. That’s ****ing moronic. If you read my post, you’ll see that I said he was a cerebral player, and perhaps may coach the same way. Also, he has some investment in utep bb that not just any candidate would have. I threw his name out there as a question, not a “we have to get Foster”.

One other thing that I agree with you about is that CRT isn’t going anywhere after this year. However, he is nearing the end of his contract and there is no possible way he gets an extension, so someone else will be next in line. Because we suck, it’s actually something interesting to ponder on for the meantime.

As far as calling for CRT to be fired, join the crowd. You’re just one of quite a few. You can go back in time and see a few people were calling for his job quite some time before you claim to have said it.

Last edited:
First of all, my mention of Foster has absolutely nothing to do with Haskins. The idea that GF played for DH didn’t even cross my mind. So this “lusting over Haskin’s guys” is an idea of your own making.

Second, Foster is 52 years old. He has a lot of years ahead of him. The idea that that is old and he wouldn’t have the energy of a younger DII coach is also an idea of your own making. You just don’t know but you pass it off as if you do. That he’d come in and talk about the 80s, I’m sure the hey days would be mentioned, but only as a reference of what to get back to. Because one thing I do agree with you about is, who gives a shit about the 80s at this point, other than to be used as a reference point of where we’d like to be again.

Third, I think you’re post was full of projection. Nowhere did I state that because he played at utep during the good years that he’d be able to use that as a recruiting tool. Nor did I say he was a great NBA player. Nor do I think you hire a coach just because players might know his name. That’s ****ing moronic. If you read my post, you’ll see that I said he was a cerebral player, and perhaps may coach the same way. Also, he has some investment in utep bb that not just any candidate would have. I threw his name out there as a question, not a “we have to get Foster”.

One other thing that I agree with you about is that CRT isn’t going anywhere after this year. However, he is nearing the end of his contract and there is no possible way he gets an extension, so someone else will be next in line. Because we suck, it’s actually something interesting to ponder on for the meantime.

As far as calling for CRT to be fired, join the crowd. You’re just one of quite a few. You can go back in time and see a few people were calling for his job quite some time before you claim to have said it.

I didn’t say you said those things. Those things are why I “know” it wouldn’t work here. You might not specifically think that way, but others will. 52 years old is too old for a 1st time head coach in my book. The only exception is being a head coach in waiting, taking over for a legend. You’re right, I don’t know that he would have more energy than a young D2 coach. That’s a generalization because he played in the NBA and made good money at one point in his life. Getting the UTEP job could propel a D2 coach to greater heights.

Reactions: FedupMiner

It’s true you thought Terry sucked early on. Of course, you think everything UTEP sucks.

Man just fire him now and let one of the assistants coaches take over while we look for a replacement.

This 'free for all offense' is the absolute worst thing you can do at this level. It is the cause of all our lapses and long droughts. As a coach you just can't keep blaming the players.

Our defensive double teaming up top is just stupid. It's unexplainable and totally unnecessary. It creates open attacks on the rim, open 3s and poor defensive rebounding. More than half of our losses are because of defensive scheme.

Our players are being poorly coached as individuals. Players are out of position. Players are not performing basic basketball skills. There are no repercussions for mistakes. Certain guys are not aggressive, etc...

Man just fire him now and let one of the assistants coaches take over while we look for a replacement.

This 'free for all offense' is the absolute worst thing you can do at this level. It is the cause of all our lapses and long droughts. As a coach you just can't keep blaming the players.

Our defensive double teaming up top is just stupid. It's unexplainable and totally unnecessary. It creates open attacks on the rim, open 3s and poor defensive rebounding. More than half of our losses are because of defensive scheme.

Our players are being poorly coached as individuals. Players are out of position. Players are not performing basic basketball skills. There are no repercussions for mistakes. Certain guys are not aggressive, etc...

It doesn’t take this long to turn around a basketball team. UTEP shouldn’t be losing 7 of 8 to UTSA. Not unless they turn into Memphis from 15 years ago. Pathetic coach and program. Dreadful and embarrassing.

Kimani Young has been the top assistant at Minnesota and now associate HC and top assistant at UConn. He is young and energetic.

Greg Foster an NBA assistant and could likely recruit very well with his NBA background.

Billy Gillespie is back in coaching in his 1st year at Tarleton St. He is 61 but I have no doubt he would build a good team at UTEP in 2 or 3 years.

Tony Barbee may want another shot as a head coach and might be more satisfied with the UTEP job this time around.

I would take any of these coaches over Terry right now and UTEP could get them.

Kimani Young has been the top assistant at Minnesota and now associate HC and top assistant at UConn. He is young and energetic.

Greg Foster an NBA assistant and could likely recruit very well with his NBA background.

Billy Gillespie is back in coaching in his 1st year at Tarleton St. He is 61 but I have no doubt he would build a good team at UTEP in 2 or 3 years.

Tony Barbee may want another shot as a head coach and might be more satisfied with the UTEP job this time around.

I would take any of these coaches over Terry right now and UTEP could get them.
Barbee had a skyrocket trajectory at UTEP. He was recruiting at a very high level/NBA players and ran an exciting style. He may not work again at UTEP but he was by far our best bet to become a top mid-major.

Can any of these coaches do worse than what we have? I think not, only wish I had the money and pull to right the UTEP athletic department. If only one of us had won that billion dollar lottery.
Dude. If I won the billion dollars the athletic department would change.

Reactions: Dmanminer
Can any of these coaches do worse than what we have? I think not, only wish I had the money and pull to right the UTEP athletic department. If only one of us had won that billion dollar lottery.

The UTEP athletic department needs a massive infusion of $, brains, and experience. It will be a few more years before the damage done by the last eight years is reversed.
I think Terry is a much bigger failure than Dimel given the historic performance of the basketball program. He should be fired first. His coaching skills are the worst I have ever seen at UTEP the last forty years.

Dude. If I won the billion dollars the athletic department would change.
It was done at Oklahoma State. Threw cash at OSU like a rap star at a....you get the point. Boone Pickens wanted a national championship in football so bad but all they got was a 1945 retroactive title (Football experts say Army was the champ if not one of the greatest).

Last edited:
Reactions: Cube Jack
Foster/Jones aren't coming here and we don't need any retreads. Look up the road to NMSU not for their coach but someone like him. He came from a quality line (Marshal at Wichita) had a bit of experience at a mid major and has a bit of a history but is quality. He finds players everywhere keeps them for the most part and develops a team, doesn't look for only one talent field like JC, transfers or freshman to fill his team but beats the bushes and finds what he can. In other words he is a builder and coach not a recruiter. Way too many coaches out there who can win with talent, but you put them at a school like UTEP and they fall flat (current situation). We don't need Slick Recruiter, a up and coming climber or my way guy (our last 3-4). Get a quality assistant at a successful program, with a little bark on him and who has coached a bit. Don't give a sh-- about style of play, want his team and players to play hard and smart and with a chip. In other words someone who wants to win games more than anything else and recruits lunch-box players, the types we lose to just about every night now.

Reactions: Lil_Train
CRT has underperformed on the same level as CTF’s latter years. At least Floyd could throw some junk defenses up so that we looked decent on that end of the court.

I have never seen the Miners look as disjointed as they now look on both ends of the floor. We always seem to regress mid to late season under Terry. Or, it’s more probable, other teams peak during that time, like a team is supposed to.

It won’t happen but...#FireTerry

CRT has underperformed on the same level as CTF’s latter years. At least Floyd could throw some junk defenses up so that we looked decent on that end of the court.

I have never seen the Miners look as disjointed as they now look on both ends of the floor. We always seem to regress mid to late season under Terry. Or, it’s more probable, other teams peak during that time, like a team is supposed to.

It won’t happen but...#FireTerry
It won't happen. As long as a coach still has multiple years left on his contract (Football and men's basketball specifically) at UTEP, they will never get axed (too much money) maybe if they're on their last year, or they resign on their own.

It’s true you thought Terry sucked early on. Of course, you think everything UTEP sucks.
It's sad, but he may be right at this point when it comes to AD, Coaches, Football, Basketball, and plain athletic department (how it is run). What else sport's related do we have to look forward to?

Has there been a worse state of affairs than right now? I have a hard time thinking of one.

Reactions: NoNCAAWinsSince1992
David Velasquez SDSU- come from a good line of coaching but, never a head coach at any level HS, JC or College, never a player, been with the same program for 19 years. Looks like a player development guy who also recruits (I smell a Josh Pastner here). Doesn't have any battle scars, and no experience running a program. IMO the best coaches come from the east and midwest, not Cali.

It's sad, but he may be right at this point when it comes to AD, Coaches, Football, Basketball, and plain athletic department (how it is run). What else sport's related do we have to look forward to?

Has there been a worse state of affairs than right now? I have a hard time thinking of one.

Yes, well you can be critical of the coaches sometimes, but apparently not all the time on here. People like him act like I’m trying to shit on Don Haskins after two bad years. Like we’re producing Kentucky basketball and Alabama football results. UTEP has been utter shit since the 2014-15 school year in both sports. Men’s basketball and football are the only two sports I care about. If the women’s soccer team does well, that’s great, it doesn’t matter or nullify bad basketball and football teams.

UTSA absolutely OWNS UTEP the last 4 years and people still aren’t mad enough to think we need a change. UTSA shouldn’t have better basketball coaches and players than UTEP. UTEP isn’t even competitive in an awful Conference USA, with a high paid coach.

Rodney Terry doesn’t deserve a 4th season with the results he’s had the last 2 years. UTEP isn’t UTRGV or Idaho St, but many fans are accepting results of teams like that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rocketsr
We all know we’re stuck with what we have. The AD messed up the contracts and realistically there’s no way to end this prematurely. I haven’t donated shit so I don’t have much of a say in anything. I hope both coaches figure it out and at least win enough so that we’re not in last place by the time they leave.

We all know we’re stuck with what we have. The AD messed up the contracts and realistically there’s no way to end this prematurely. I haven’t donated shit so I don’t have much of a say in anything. I hope both coaches figure it out and at least win enough so that we’re not in last place by the time they leave.

We are stuck with Dismel for 2021 baring some unfortunate circumstances. For Terry, the majority of season ticket holders need to call or write in that their not buying anymore tickets until he is replaced. If that were to happen, then he would probably be removed.

Unfortunatel,y because the athletic department is such a dumpster fire Terry will get at least another year probably 2. The priorities are:

1. Replace Senter
2. Replace Dimel
3. Replace Terry.

I

Reactions: Rocketsr
We are stuck with Dismel for 2021 baring some unfortunate circumstances. For Terry, the majority of season ticket holders need to call or write in that their not buying anymore tickets until he is replaced. If that were to happen, then he would probably be removed.
What’s the majority? 700 of them at an average of $700 what does that equal. Half a year of Terry’s salary. Yeah not happening. If a group of alumni said here’s a million dollars buy out Terry than maybe.

What’s the majority? 700 of them at an average of $700 what does that equal. Half a year of Terry’s salary. Yeah not happening. If a group of alumni said here’s a million dollars buy out Terry than maybe.

I couldn’t tell you what the majority would be. Season ticket holders are not created equally. What’s worth more to Senter? 2 tickets worth $1000 or 4 tickets worth $400? We both know the answer to that. If a good “majority” of big ticket holders told Senter to buzz off, he might get it.

I couldn’t tell you what the majority would be. Season ticket holders are not created equally. What’s worth more to Senter? 2 tickets worth $1000 or 4 tickets worth $400? We both know the answer to that. If a good “majority” of big ticket holders told Senter to buzz off, he might get it.
This was actually played out thanks to Kugler and his "I don't need (fair weather, band wagon) them..." a few short years ago. Stupid comment made out of frustration during a media interview which he detested like an ingrown toe nail. Ticket sales tanked even worse.

You need ticket holders, thousands of them. It is a NCAA requirement for FBS teams but loosely enforced as any booster can whip out his American Express and buy in bulk to help numbers and the rule is very vague. D1 programs are the cash cow for athletics.

For 2014-15 to 2019 NMSU averaged 14,249. *"Attendance is based on the average per game over the last five seasons, followed up by % capacity, followed by last year’s ranking". UTEP was 21,658. [Source: Attendance Rankings No. 1-130: 2019 CFN Five-Year Program Analysis]

Second, the "big boosters" and Jose Cuervo went at it for over a year over Floyd. Big Boosters were livid as to how fans were treating Floyd, "How dare they.... and you (directed at Kap of ESPN600)!". Floyd caved to pressure and declared "health issues" for reason for stepping down (after saying he "still had the fire" a few weeks or months prior).

Don't know about Los Crotches, but every day El Pasoans carry a big stick if UTEP gets autocratic about their sports and it doesn't take much to figure out it hurts Senter's bottom line.

This was actually played out thanks to Kugler and his "I don't need (fair weather, band wagon) them..." a few short years ago. Stupid comment made out of frustration during a media interview which he detested like an ingrown toe nail. Ticket sales tanked even worse.
The season that Kugler took UTEP to the NM Bowl, the UTEP basketball team also had a home game against Arizona shortly before. I started my Christmas vacation early so that I could travel to El Paso, watch the Arizona game, and then go watch the football team in the NM Bowl.

While I was at the Arizona game, I started talking with some of the other UTEP basketball (my emphasis) fans near me, mentioning how I was also excited to go to the bowl game. They gave me some quizzical stares. I said, "You know, the football team. They're playing in the bowl game." Blank stares. "You know, in Albuquerque."

I doubt these fans ever heard a single thing Kugler ever said about fair-weather fans or anything else. El Paso just has a culture of apathy about the football team. For a time, people were excited when Price was coach, then the stupid new tailgate rules came in (I really think that was the turning point, for the fans at least) and any gameday culture that was developing for the football team was squashed.

The season that Kugler took UTEP to the NM Bowl, the UTEP basketball team also had a home game against Arizona shortly before. I started my Christmas vacation early so that I could travel to El Paso, watch the Arizona game, and then go watch the football team in the NM Bowl.

While I was at the Arizona game, I started talking with some of the other UTEP basketball (my emphasis) fans near me, mentioning how I was also excited to go to the bowl game. They gave me some quizzical stares. I said, "You know, the football team. They're playing in the bowl game." Blank stares. "You know, in Albuquerque."

I doubt these fans ever heard a single thing Kugler ever said about fair-weather fans or anything else. El Paso just has a culture of apathy about the football team. For a time, people were excited when Price was coach, then the stupid new tailgate rules came in (I really think that was the turning point, for the fans at least) and any gameday culture that was developing for the football team was squashed.
Off topic, but I loved the tailgating and crowds in those early years of CMP. Unfortunately EP is a notorious drunk, fighting and leave trash everywhere town and it didn't work. People complained when admin asked that they actually behave and attend the games.

Anyway. Nobody wants to tailgate for a losing program. We need to win.

Last edited:
Reactions: utep-piggy
Off topic, but I loved the tailgating and crowds in those early years of CMP. Unfortunately EP is a notorious drunk, fighting and leave trash everywhere town and it didn't work. People complained when admin asked that they actually behave and attend the games.

Rules had a little to do with it, but if UTEP were to go back to little rules tailgating, it wouldn’t make any difference. 10,000 is the new normal for home crowds for most games. Had UTEP continued winning, most people would have been used to the new rules and just dealt with it.

Reactions: utep-piggy
Kuglers boring and terribly ineffective offense and losing year after year had much more of a negative effect on attendance than the tailgating rules. Had Kugler enjoyed success similar to Price’s early years, most fans would have continued to support the football program and attend games.

Cusa 3.0 killed the crowds. Imo alot fans got flashbacks from left behind in wac. Which is exactly what happened. We were left in CUSA while a nice new shiny AAC assembled.

Kugler had us winning by year 2. Still the only winning season since 2005! No one cared to go see unt or MTSU.

I respectfully beg to differ. Tailgating makes losing much more tolerable.

Hierarchy of Tailgating Wants:
I’d rather tailgate than not
I’d rather win than tailgate
I’d rather tailgate AND win 😎

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT