ADVERTISEMENT

FIU game

miner1liner

MI Hall of Famer
Feb 10, 2014
Interesting to note results of last game with FIU which we won 85-75. Leaders were:
Hawkins. 20 pts
Lathon. 16 pts
Gilyard. 16pts

With it being a noon game I believe UTEP and FIU will be battling for the first team to 10 wins in cusa.

Never mind the schedule has been updated. We’re no longer playing fiu Thursday morning. Game is moved to 6pm. The FAU game is now at noon on Saturday.

I don’t it’s called making a mistake. You guys are perfect and know everything so please excuse me. When I googled UTEP basketball for some reason the women’s team info popped up and I jumped the gun.

LOL

I remember that UTEP football would sometimes really struggle the week AFTER the Hawaii road trip. It seemed like the long trip and jet lag would often catch up to the Miners and show in the following game the week after. I even remember reading some gambling stats one time about betting against teams in the following week after they played in Hawaii.

Now, not only is our basketball dealing with making that same Hawaii trip....but they are also traveling to the opposite coast the very next week and playing a day game?

This seems like it could be challenging

Expect a “hostile” environment. FIU drew 463 for their last home game and with a Noon Thursday tip-off, the place will definitely be rocking!

With great arenas and fans like this, it’s no wonder we have a hard time on the road!

I remember that UTEP football would sometimes really struggle the week AFTER the Hawaii road trip. It seemed like the long trip and jet lag would often catch up to the Miners and show in the following game the week after. I even remember reading some gambling stats one time about betting against teams in the following week after they played in Hawaii.

Now, not only is our basketball dealing with making that same Hawaii trip....but they are also traveling to the opposite coast the very next week and playing a day game?

This seems like it could be challenging
To be fair, UTEP football generally really struggles after any road trip.

Reactions: Autograph Boy
On paper FIU looks to match up well with UTEP, a lot of players getting playing time and 4 starters averaging double digits. A concern is they do have a lot of players in the 6-6 to 6-9 range and likely Williams will have a host of defenders on him. They shoot a lot of threes and average about 80 a game. Their wins look a lot like many of ours against small NAIA types. Playing these type of games in front of no crowds is tough as neither team can feed of they energy of a crowd and games takes the appearance of a pick up game. Miners need to stick to discipline style and should win. Can't let FIU hang in late in the game as we have not handled that position in games well as of late.

On paper FIU looks to match up well with UTEP, a lot of players getting playing time and 4 starters averaging double digits. A concern is they do have a lot of players in the 6-6 to 6-9 range and likely Williams will have a host of defenders on him. They shoot a lot of threes and average about 80 a game. Their wins look a lot like many of ours against small NAIA types. Playing these type of games in front of no crowds is tough as neither team can feed of they energy of a crowd and games takes the appearance of a pick up game. Miners need to stick to discipline style and should win. Can't let FIU hang in late in the game as we have not handled that position in games well as of late.
I believe Terry mentioned that FIU presses full court all the game. If that is the case, it will be interesting to see how the Miners handle the pressure. I can see this one as a tough one once again.

The last 2-3 years have been some of the worst teams UTEP has ever fielded. The one thing those awful teams didn’t do is lose to FIU. It will very disappointing, with all the talent on this team, to experience a loss to a team we own.

I believe Terry mentioned that FIU presses full court all the game. If that is the case, it will be interesting to see how the Miners handle the pressure. I can see this one as a tough one once again.

If that’s the case, I hope we attack the press rather than just try to get the ball across and set up our half court offense.

Good thing I have the day off tomorrow. I’ll be able to enjoy the game from the comfort of my home.
OK....Here goes with me going with my heart; not my noggin.
Miners 75
FEW, oops FIU 72
They double/triple team BW which frees up Edwards, Boum, Tarke and Nigel to make some open buckets. Efe and Archie make nice contributions off the bench. I'm changing my vision after recent events and convincing myself that this was a blessing in disguise.
Go Miners

If that’s the case, I hope we attack the press rather than just try to get the ball across and set up our half court offense.
Agree, primarily since we struggle to score so much in the half court. The downside is that we could be playing right into FIU's hands. I just don't see any easy road games for this team.

Looking a little closer, we’ve definitely got the size advantage over FIU. Their top 8 scoring options go 6’6”, 6’7”, 3 guys at 6’5” and 2 guys at 6’1” and one at 5’8”. The 6’9” guy only plays 11 minutes a game. Not sure they’ll have what it takes to stop Bryson. As you stated, they are a well balanced scoring team, though.

I actually feel pretty good about this one as I think we can overwhelm them inside with BW and Efe, maybe some Tarke and then Verhoeven playing some tough defense in the paint altering some shots. Vila may actually come in handy for this one.

OK....Here goes with me going with my heart; not my noggin.
Miners 75
FEW, oops FIU 72
They double/triple team BW which frees up Edwards, Boum, Tarke and Nigel to make some open buckets. Efe and Archie make nice contributions off the bench. I'm changing my vision after recent events and convincing myself that this was a blessing in disguise.
Go Miners
I’m going with my heart too.

UTEP 73
FIU 70

FIU looks very strong on paper. They have a nice record, a top 10 offense, and they shoot the ball well. By statistics they look like the much better team.

Digging a little deeper and they’re not that scary. Their best win is a one point win at home over a team ranked in the 270s by KenPom and 230s by NET. Other than that they’ve beat a bunch of 1 and 2 win teams. Their sos is 350/353. Very weak competition including a loss to a team rated 345/353 who hasn’t beat anyone else other than FIU.

I’m confident we will win tomorrow.

I’m going with my heart too.

UTEP 73
FIU 70

FIU looks very strong on paper. They have a nice record, a top 10 offense, and they shoot the ball well. By statistics they look like the much better team.

Digging a little deeper and they’re not that scary. Their best win is a one point win at home over a team ranked in the 270s by KenPom and 230s by NET. Other than that they’ve beat a bunch of 1 and 2 win teams. Their sos is 350/353. Very weak competition including a loss to a team rated 345/353 who hasn’t beat anyone else other than FIU.

I’m confident we will win tomorrow.
Spot on. Miners better win this one.

According to the press release the game is 10 a.m. eastern time and 12 p.m. mountain time. LOL

Why is this game so Damn Early during the week anyways? There's gonna be 100 people there instead of the 500 they'd normally get lol Miners hopefully can pump themselves up for this road game, that will be more like a neutral site game.

Anybody know if there are there same day replays on ESPN+? I havent had to try it yet.

Coach Terry isn’t coaching today’s game due to allergic reaction. Coach Paulino takes over

I hardly ever pay attention to these things but I just saw that ESPN gives the Miners only a 25% chance of winning. The spread is also up to FIU -2.5.

Sure would be nice to get out of Florida 2-0.

I hardly ever pay attention to these things but I just saw that ESPN gives the Miners only a 25% chance of winning. The spread is also up to FIU -2.5.

Sure would be nice to get out of Florida 2-0.
Given our road play I have no heart burn over that.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT