ADVERTISEMENT

Five breakout stars for UTEP football

Minerforlife

MI Hall of Famer
Sep 11, 2013
These are the five guys who i think will become household names this year.

David Hamm: Behind this o-line Hamm will go for over 1000 yds. He will reduce the the load Jones has. He's a little bigger a more durable than Jones. He's poised for a huge year and gives us the best backfield combo in CUSA. Its very realistic Jones and Hamm could both eclipse 1000 yds rhis season.

Tyler Batson: Tyler is the home run hitter we need at reciever. He can take the top off a defense. He had a great spring practice . Tyler will keep defenses honest and play a big role in the expanded passing game. He will score alot of long touchdowns off playaction.

Luke Elsner: Luke saw action as true freshman even though he was hampered by an elbow injury all season. Playing opposite side of Roy Robertson-Harris he wont face double teams and will feast on right tackles and qbs. Luke is the best pure pass rusher we've had a UTEP in a long time. Double digit sacks is not out of the question for Elsner.

Alvin Jones: The forgotten Jones brother. Alvin is now at home at linebacker. He has figured out the nuisances of the posistion. He may have the highest ceiling of any player on the roster. He was good last year this year he takes his game to another level, he will be an absolute terror. I like his pro prospects better than his brothers, I think they will both be in the league.

Mookie Carlile: Mookie is a coaches dream at safety. His ball skills are uncanny. He may be the biggest hitter on the team. He has a nose for the football. The guy will be a game changer, someone offensive coordinators have to gameplan for.

How Luke Elsner escaped Wisconsin under the radar shows Kuglers recruiting ability. I truelly believe he can be best d lineman out of UTEP since "Pookie" Floyd and Brian Young.

On Autrey Golden moving from the running back position to the wide receiver position.

"Autrey is going to be full time at wide receiver. I think he's going to be outstanding there; he's got playmaking abilities and he's got speed. Autrey gives us that speed factor on the edge that we haven't had."

On Aaron Jones.

"He is very physical. He's built is body up since we signed him. I think he weighed 165 pounds when we signed him; he's now over 200 pounds now. He doesn't run like a 200-pound back. He runs like a 220-pound back. He's got an outstanding stiff-arm balance and doesn't die easily - he doesn't go down easy and doesn't go down at the end of runs. He gets extra yards and has earned the respect of his coaches and teammates."

Treyvon Hughes

Ricky Olivas

Last edited:
Since the thread is Five Breakout Stars, here's my candidates on the watch list.

Garrett Simpson, QB. At 6'7, he's a big kid, mobile, with a good arm, but even more, he's accurate and has command of the offense. Given all of those particulars, he gets the first glance. Leftwich is probably more quicker of foot and shifty as a runner, but that's not what Kugler is looking for out of his QB. He needs a QB that can spin the ball downfield, manage the offense and coming out of spring ball, in my opinion, Simpson was the front runner.

Donovan Walker, WR. Since his arrival, there has been nothing but high praise for this kid. This past spring, with a season behind him and full knowledge of the offense, he showed the full range of his capabilities. He's only been a general secret to the public, but among staff and teammates, he wasn't. Now the media has taken notice of him. He came out of spring as one of the most impressive WRs UTEP has and there's no reason to think that changes this fall. With Golden, Batson and Walker, as well as several other WRs, the aerial game should be superb.

Trent Trammell, DB. If ever there was a steal - or gift to UTEPs defense, it's Trammell. He's a fundamentally sound DB with proper footwork and a refined skill set. During the spring game he displayed quick read and react capabilities. He's got good range on the ball and gets into position to make plays. Matched with Dashone Smith at safety(?), the 2015 DB group can quickly earn the label "No Fly Zone."

Jimmy Musgrave, LB. I was originally concerned about the LBs, but after spring, I'm not anymore. I am a fan of Alvin Jones (and a few others at LB), but I think Musgrave is the resident psycho or pure warrior (whichever works for the PC crowd) at the position. Anyone that knows football knows you have to be slightly off center to play LB. Musgrave is that guy. My only concern is despite being that way, that he plays smart. Either way, like Jack Nicholson in the movie, A Few Good Men, "You want me on that wall!" Musgrave is the guy I want in the middle.

The Offensive Line. I know, five people. But I decided to mention the whole unit. Why? Because I expect this group of men to be physical, nasty about it and move people with no apology given. They've gotten bigger and stronger and as they go, so goes UTEP.

I can't speak for anyone else, but this was difficult because I'm more impressed with this group of Miners as a whole and quite frankly, my expectations are high for them. I hope as a team they're ready to meet that challenge.

Since the thread is Five Breakout Stars, here's my candidates on the watch list.

Garrett Simpson, QB. At 6'7, he's a big kid, mobile, with a good arm, but even more, he's accurate and has command of the offense. Given all of those particulars, he gets the first glance. Leftwich is probably more quicker of foot and shifty as a runner, but that's not what Kugler is looking for out of his QB. He needs a QB that can spin the ball downfield, manage the offense and coming out of spring ball, in my opinion, Simpson was the front runner.

Donovan Walker, WR. Since his arrival, there has been nothing but high praise for this kid. This past spring, with a season behind him and full knowledge of the offense, he showed the full range of his capabilities. He's only been a general secret to the public, but among staff and teammates, he wasn't. Now the media has taken notice of him. He came out of spring as one of the most impressive WRs UTEP has and there's no reason to think that changes this fall. With Golden, Batson and Walker, as well as several other WRs, the aerial game should be superb.

Trent Trammell, DB. If ever there was a steal - or gift to UTEPs defense, it's Trammell. He's a fundamentally sound DB with proper footwork and a refined skill set. During the spring game he displayed quick read and react capabilities. He's got good range on the ball and gets into position to make plays. Matched with Dashone Smith at safety(?), the 2015 DB group can quickly earn the label "No Fly Zone."

Jimmy Musgrave, LB. I was originally concerned about the LBs, but after spring, I'm not anymore. I am a fan of Alvin Jones (and a few others at LB), but I think Musgrave is the resident psycho or pure warrior (whichever works for the PC crowd) at the position. Anyone that knows football knows you have to be slightly off center to play LB. Musgrave is that guy. My only concern is despite being that way, that he plays smart. Either way, like Jack Nicholson in the movie, A Few Good Men, "You want me on that wall!" Musgrave is the guy I want in the middle.

The Offensive Line. I know, five people. But I decided to mention the whole unit. Why? Because I expect this group of men to be physical, nasty about it and move people with no apology given. They've gotten bigger and stronger and as they go, so goes UTEP.

I can't speak for anyone else, but this was difficult because I'm more impressed with this group of Miners as a whole and quite frankly, my expectations are high for them. I hope as a team they're ready to meet that challenge.

I totally agree. Musgrave's play at UTSA was inpirational last year.

Reactions: Tribalwarriorx
Not at the roster link but he is listed in the spring prospectus. An error? Anyone have any insight?

Im also baffled. Hamm participated in all the spring drills. I never heard anything about him leaving the program, maybe i just missed it. Good catch by Jdubb.

Wow you guys are getting me excited about this up coming season. Something I have not been for quite awhile, even though I do make most of their home games. But real nice to look forward to the games.
Great posts guys.

GO MINERS

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT