ADVERTISEMENT

Floyd "Interview" with USC

Chris Avila

Starter
May 22, 2012
Had a chance to talk to a couple people this morning and the word is as follows:

- No official word on an actual interview nor is Floyd saying he did. Article in LA Times never quotes him on having an actual interview with Pat Haden, AD at USC.
- One person said Floyd's conversation with USC was more about clearing the air and "making things right" from the OJ Mayo situation and the subsequent investigation by the NCAA.
- There is a clause in his current contract with UTEP where Floyd can leave with no penalty. Very interesting.
- It was also suggested, and this makes a lot of sense to me, Floyd's decision to say he had a discussion with USC is a very calculated move to get UTEP some exposure and give an early boost to the summer recruiting season.
- Isaac Hamilton, Vince Hunter and other recruits are locked in at UTEP because of their LOI. UTEP would have to let them out of the "contract" for them to begin looking to transfer to another school. That in itself would open up a bag of worms for the athletes and transfer rules. No word on what the ramification would be if they decided to leave. Only situation would be if a recruit did no qualify academically and then they would be able to start the process again, but more than likely at a prep school or. JC.

More information on this as it becomes available.

This post was edited on 3/5 11:48 AM by Chris Avila

This post was edited on 3/5 11:48 AM by Chris Avila

This post was edited on 3/5 12:54 PM by Chris Avila

Tend to agree with your article above this post. I listened to his comments and didnt detect any deception. But what do I know? Money talks with almost anyone although I perceive as you do that Floyd is a straight up guy...or hope he is....but Im past the shock and awe factor of coaches leaving so I try to not take it personally like I did with B Clyde.....Whatever happens...it is what it is.....

Originally posted by Miner Dawgma:
Tend to agree with your article above this post. I listened to his comments and didnt detect any deception. But what do I know? Money talks with almost anyone although I perceive as you do that Floyd is a straight up guy...or hope he is....but Im past the shock and awe factor of coaches leaving so I try to not take it personally like I did with B Clyde.....Whatever happens...it is what it is.....
Thanks for the comment Dawgma. It's going to be a very interesting ride over the next couple of weeks as USC won't make a move until after conference tournaments are complete and possibly the conclusion of the first weekend of the NCAA tournament ... if you're going to get a coach, get the one who wins and get's their team to the big dance.

As for my take on Floyd, he's been nothing but straight up with me. I know there are times when he has to dance around a question and it's part of the game, but he has always ben straight up. I'm hoping I'm not wrong on this, but we will see. Like I said in the article, my gut is saying he's not going to USC.

I'm not following how it helps recruiting for him to let it be known he talked to another school. Anyway, I was disappointed that he didn't come out and say he wasn't interested in the job, but rather, "I'm not looking for a job." I wasn't looking for a job when I was offered my current position, but I listened when approached and accepted it in a heartbeat when it was offered.

The only possible reason I can see for him not coming out and saying "I'm not interested" is to not slap USC in the face (after being allowed the opportunity to "clear the air") by appearing to reject the job to stay at non-Big 5 school.

I don't think he'll get the offer because of the potential backlash for USC, but the whole situation causes me to believe he'd take the job if offered.
This post was edited on 3/16 4:01 PM by HookemMiners

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT