Lonny Baxter Maryland 2002 second round pick Chicago Bulls

P.J. Hairston UNC 1st round pick Miami Heat

Josh Howard Wake Forest 2003 1st round Dallas Mavs

Vernon Macklin Florida 2011 2nd round Detroit Pistons

Marreese Speights Florida 2008 1st round Philadelphia 76'ers

James Thomas Texas

James White Cincy 2006 2nd round Portland Trail Blazers

Sam Young Pitt 2009 2nd round Memphis Grizzlies

Excellent post 2 step! I have followed Tim for years and believe he is an excellent coach and recruiter. His trend at UTEP is similar to his trend at SC - his teams crept up moderately for several seasons waiting to recruit top perimeter scorers and then pow - all hell broke loose finally beating top PAC 12 teams and making his way to the dance! With this new crop of top recruits, I will be totally surprised if this team does not perform equally as well - surprising hoop gurus and all the "negative Floyd" posters that frequent this site! The Cameron kid is a great recruiting catch - top performer with an impressive academic background. One of the top reasons for choosing UTEP was the Engineering program where he will major as a Mechanical Engineer. Very impressive indeed.

I have followed Tim for years and believe he is an excellent coach and recruiter. His trend at UTEP is similar to his trend at SC - his teams crept up moderately for several seasons waiting to recruit top perimeter scorers and then pow - all hell broke loose finally beating top PAC 12 teams and making his way to the dance!

Apparently you don't follow his career very well. Floyd made the Sweet 16 at USC in his second year, went to the Sweet Sixteen at Iowa State in his third year, and went to the Big Dance with New Orleans in his third year.

This is Floyd's SIXTH year at UTEP with nothing to show for. Clearly he is not the same coach.

Reactions: Epsilon00
Apparently you don't follow his career very well. Floyd made the Sweet 16 at USC in his second year, went to the Sweet Sixteen at Iowa State in his third year, and went to the Big Dance with New Orleans in his third year.

This is Floyd's SIXTH year at UTEP with nothing to show for. Clearly he is not the same coach.

Chih - have you ever dribbled a basketball, played the sport, or even followed college hoops on a national level? If you have, I will respect your opinion. If the answer is no to all 3 above, then please clam up on giving your strong opinions as to the professional capability of a prominent NCAA basketball coach.

Chih - have you ever dribbled a basketball, played the sport, or even followed college hoops on a national level? If you have, I will respect your opinion. If the answer is no to all 3 above, then please clam up on giving your strong opinions as to the professional capability of a prominent NCAA basketball coach.

Don't listen to them.

Anyways, Oak Hill and Hargrave have been turning out quality for over twenty years for the state of Virginia. That list is just the past fifteen or so years.

Yes, I have played basketball and have followed college basketball and all sports for a long time. I am very knowledge about sports and know the history, facts, and follow sports very closely. It doesn't take a genius to figure out Floyd has lost his steam and has lost his great coaching abilities. Nothing against him, just obvious ovservation.

You can't argue the fact that Floyd has had a hell of a coaching career. But what has he done at UTEP???? Thats great he went to Sweet 16's in the past, but he hasn't even come close to making the NCAA Tournament here at UTEP. Hell... Larry Coker won a freaking national championship before, but he has done jack crap at UTSA. Unfortunately teams don't get into the NCAA Tourney because their coach has had some pretty good accomplishments in the past at their other coaching jobs. Floyd has coached 5 full seasons and has shown us no signs of improvement. With BG and Barbee, you could see improvement on year to year basis. You knew we were getting better. With Floyd, you just don't see that.

So I hope your right Lou. I hope Floyd finally has all the pieces of the puzzle to take UTEP to the next level. But I have no faith in him until he proves it. He has had more than enough time.

Reactions: El Paso Chihuahuas
I sure hope your right Lou. My only concern is he was at USC for 4 years. This is now his 6th season here.

You can't compare USC to UTEP. You would get a lot better recruits at USC therefor
the progress in the development of the program would have no comparison.

Go Miners...

You can't compare USC to UTEP. You would get a lot better recruits at USC therefor

Go Miners...

How about New Orleans? In 6 years, Floyd went to the Big Dance twice and the NIT three times.

Can I compare Tim to Billy, Doc, and Tony or are you going to come up with more excuses?

Last edited:
Can't handle the truth?

What truth, the one you can't comprehend.
Let me help you a little if possible.
Now a days college sports are a big business and the big schools are taking the best recruits
available. Don't even start with Gonzaga and Richmond because they have done squat in the
last couple of years. In the past 10 years you might get a Cinderella team but that is all, it is a
Cinderella team who will make some noise and at the end of the day they go home back empty.
Some of those Cinderella teams might make some noise while they keep the nucleus of the team
intact. So think about it for a second Mr. Chihuas.
Go Miners...

What truth, the one you can't comprehend.
Let me help you a little if possible.
Now a days college sports are a big business and the big schools are taking the best recruits
available. Don't even start with Gonzaga and Richmond because they have done squat in the
last couple of years. In the past 10 years you might get a Cinderella team but that is all, it is a
Cinderella team who will make some noise and at the end of the day they go home back empty.
Some of those Cinderella teams might make some noise while they keep the nucleus of the team
intact. So think about it for a second Mr. Chihuas.
Go Miners...

Floyd succeeded at New Orleans. Why can't he succeed here? I am not asking to be a Cinderella team- all I am asking for is to make the Big Dance, win a game in the NIT.

Go Miners...
BG, Doc, Barbee...All three were assistants before getting the head coaching job here at UTEP. All 3 had to deal with tougher league competition. All 3 had us in the NCAA Tourney with in 4 years. Floyd is a seasoned coach , plays in a much weaker conference than the 3 mentioned above, hasn't even come close to taking UTEP to the NCAA Tourney. What does the UTEP vs. USC recruit excuse have to do with anything?????? His coaching experience alone should get us to at least the CUSA Championship game every year, but he continuously gets out coached in every big game.

Well said sweetlou. These negative nellies always have to give their opinions which they are entitled to on this board, but what they don't get is they are always "negative". I don't understand why they get on this board. Chih and EP you need to learn that there is always hope and faith.

Well said sweetlou. These negative nellies always have to give their opinions which they are entitled to on this board, but what they don't get is they are always "negative". I don't understand why they get on this board. Chih and EP you need to learn that there is always hope and faith.

What negativity? I am showing you the facts. I am not giving my opinion- I am giving FACTS. The FACT is Billy, Doc, ad Tony took UTEP to the Big Dance in less time Tim has been here. The FACT is Tim succeeded at other schools and took them to the Big Dance in 3 years or less.

I am not always negative. I praise UTEP when praise is warranted. I certainly won't praise Floyd because he doesn't deserve praise.

Hope and faith doesn't win games.

Reactions: Epsilon00
What negativity? I am showing you the facts. I am not giving my opinion- I am giving FACTS. The FACT is Billy, Doc, ad Tony took UTEP to the Big Dance in less time Tim has been here. The FACT is Tim succeeded at other schools and took them to the Big Dance in 3 years or less.

I am not always negative. I praise UTEP when praise is warranted. I certainly won't praise Floyd because he doesn't deserve praise.

Hope and faith doesn't win games.
The "fact" is you don't stop and realize that most of us on this board are always attacking you. That should tell you something but you are too ignorant. That's why a lot of us don't understand why you even post on this board because even when something happens that "most" of us view as positive, you have to come back with something "negative". Sweetlou posted something that most of us view as "positive". YOU quickly derailed the thread and you are too ignorant to realize that. Yes, you post facts, but the fact is most of us would prefer you post nothing at all.

The "fact" is you don't stop and realize that most of us on this board are always attacking you. That should tell you something but you are too ignorant. That's why a lot of us don't understand why you even post on this board because even when something happens that "most" of us view as positive, you have to come back with something "negative". Sweetlou posted something that most of us view as "positive". YOU quickly derailed the thread and you are too ignorant to realize that. Yes, you post facts, but the fact is most of us would prefer you post nothing at all.

I wouldn't say "most". If it was "most" I would have very few likes.

Sweetlou posted something that isn't correct and I responded. Why is that a problem? I didn't derail anything.

You are more than welcome to put me on ignore if you don't want to read my posts.

BG, Doc, Barbee...All three were assistants before getting the head coaching job here at UTEP. All 3 had to deal with tougher league competition. All 3 had us in the NCAA Tourney with in 4 years. Floyd is a seasoned coach , plays in a much weaker conference than the 3 mentioned above, hasn't even come close to taking UTEP to the NCAA Tourney. What does the UTEP vs. USC recruit excuse have to do with anything?????? His coaching experience alone should get us to at least the CUSA Championship game every year, but he continuously gets out coached in every big game.

Mr. Epilnone think aobut it.
what have your top coaches done past UTEP's career? Please expand! Thank you!

Go Miners....

Go Miners....

What does it matter what Billy, Doc, and Tony did after UTEP? That is irrelevant. You keep deflecting and won't ever look at the facts and will stand by Floyd no matter what. Floyd could be here for 10 years and you would still say "next year is going to be our year".

Chih says his "likes" tally indicates that "most" people on this board do like him. Fact is, most of those likes are from his fellow fact ass-hat Epsomsalt. Their mutual admiration society is no more than a two man circle jerk dedicated to the upsetting of whatever positivism we as Miner fans attempt to clutch. Your facts - as you see them - hold about as much validity as the "likes" you & your Miner Digs bromance partner seems shower you and vice-a-versa. I am all for a "dislike" icon to be installed to illustrate just how much you truly are unliked - probably the only award you've ever earned in your miserable life.

And those other coaches are coaching where..... They all fell OFF . CTF has had bad breaks but he is a good coach one that will get us to the tournament and won't leave us the next day, hate all you want but we have a very good coach

Reactions: mikesarabia
Nay sayers can say all they want. Got a top recruit from one of the nations top programs and a programs that has almost thirty years of producing some of the best bball talent in the country.

Go Miners....
Who cares what they did after UTEP???? What has Tim Floyd done at UTEP????? Thats the important question. You can keep putting Floyd on a pedestal all you want from his accomplishments at other schools OTHER THAN UTEP all you want, but the reality is Floyd is one the most unsuccessful coaches in UTEP history since Haskins retired. Winning 20 games in a pathetic weak CUSA is nothing.

Nay sayers can say all they want. Got a top recruit from one of the nations top programs and a programs that has almost thirty years of producing some of the best bball talent in the country.
Offers from Houston, Ole Miss, La Tech, Tennessee, Rice, Hofstra, Georgia Southern YEP that is totally a top recruit right there. Those are some top schools offering. I wonder why he chose here when he had a better chance of winning a national championship at basketball power house Tennessee. Isn't WIlms from a top AAU program ?????

Out of BG Doc and Barbee, who is better off ....FLOYD is and that's a fact
I say Barbee. He is an assistant at Kentucky. He is just strengthening his already strong recruiting connections. Someone will give him another shot and he will have them in the Tourney before Floyd has us playing in the tourney. He will be a steal for who ever hires him.
If BG wasn't addicted to alcohol, he would have had a much better coaching career than he has had. He would have been a top 10 coach. Its a shame about the alcohol.
DOC was average but he is 1-1 against us since coaching at USM, and they are one of the worst programs in the country.

And those other coaches are coaching where..... They all fell OFF . CTF has had bad breaks but he is a good coach one that will get us to the tournament and won't leave us the next day, hate all you want but we have a very good coach
He is already trying to leave us and he hasn't taken us to the tournament. He interviews every year for other jobs. Any comments to that????

CTF has had bad breaks but he is a good coach one that will get us to the tournament and won't leave us the next day, hate all you want but we have a very good coach

When is Floyd going to get us to a tournament?

How do you know Floyd won't leave us if and when we make the tournament? He has already applied to jobs previously.

If Floyd was a very coach coach he would have taken UTEP to the Big Dance by now.

You didn't answer my question epsi, why if you have such disdain for Floyd and the basketball program, will not buy season tickets or go to any games this year, as you have already declared, do you even bother to follow any thread having to do with UTEP basketball? Everyone here knows how you feel, you bring nothing new at all everytime you post. One can only surmise you're sole purpose is to troll, so don't be surprised and get all butt hurt at the tag. As you and little chi tell others, don't like our posts? Ignore or don't follow us. Hey, don't like the basketball program and its coach? Ignore and don't follow it, right? Quit dragging every thread down with the same old crap. If you and/or chi really cared about this board and its function, you two would lighten up on the same repetitive negative sh!t. You two drag simple informative threads into your own little side shows time and time again. Cool it already.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT