ADVERTISEMENT

Football Observations.

UTEPDefense

MI Hall of Famer
Oct 8, 2002
Take this for what it’s worth, but here is what has been relayed to me:

1.) Our player leadership this year is better than any previous year under Dimel. Not sure how much this will translate into success, but both the defense and offense have more leaders this year holding the other players more accountable.

2.) Look for Hankins to be used in a lot of wildcat on short yardage and goal line situations, essentially taking over that Treyvon Hughes power role from last year. The difference this year, is that Hankins then won’t be forced into as many other sets that are more oriented for a speed back, the way that Hughes was forced into playing last year.

3.) Wadley has looked great, but is also being eased back as they aren’t taking any injury risks with him. When taking into account the year off, Saturday will be his first extended amount of hard contact in a long time.

4.) The consensus is that we are more athletic across the board this year.

5.) This has a chance to be as good of a defensive line as we have had in long time. That is not saying a whole lot because it’s being compared to UTEP standards. This also doesn’t mean that you should expect them to dominate or anything, but the expectation is that we will see some noticeable improvement. Additionally, the staff is also very pleased with the new freshmen DT’s as well.

6.) The WR Farr has been a nice surprise during camp as well.

Now, for as long as I have followed UTEP football, whenever a local crew has been in charge of broadcasting the first UTEP game of the season, it seems like there has always been a 50/50 chance that the television broadcast/stream will have issues getting started on time for the first game of the year. Is there any chance that the local crew can get it’s act together in advance of this Saturday, so that the stream can start on time when the game starts?

Take this for what it’s worth, but here is what has been relayed to me:

1.) Our player leadership this year is better than any previous year under Dimel. Not sure how much this will translate into success, but both the defense and offense have more leaders this year holding the other players more accountable.

2.) Look for Hankins to be used in a lot of wildcat on short yardage and goal line situations, essentially taking over that Treyvon Hughes power role from last year. The difference this year, is that Hankins then won’t be forced into as many other sets that are more oriented for a speed back, the way that Hughes was forced into playing last year.

3.) Wadley has looked great, but is also being eased back as they aren’t taking any injury risks with him. When taking into account the year off, Saturday will be his first extended amount of hard contact in a long time.

4.) The consensus is that we are more athletic across the board this year.

5.) This has a chance to be as good of a defensive line as we have had in long time. That is not saying a whole lot because it’s being compared to UTEP standards. This also doesn’t mean that you should expect them to dominate or anything, but the expectation is that we will see some noticeable improvement. Additionally, the staff is also very pleased with the new freshmen DT’s as well.

6.) The WR Farr has been a nice surprise during camp as well.

Now, for as long as I have followed UTEP football, whenever a local crew has been in charge of broadcasting the first UTEP game of the season, it seems like there has always been a 50/50 chance that the television broadcast/stream will have issues getting started on time for the first game of the year. Is there any chance that the local crew can get it’s act together in advance of this Saturday, so that the stream can start on time when the game starts?
SB had the lights on tonight. I hope they get the bugs worked out.

Reactions: Roy_Bigwood_05
I can't catch the game on ESPN3 as I'll be gone. I have ESPN on my smart TV, but don't see any means of recording it on ESPN3 or watching later as an archived game.
Any solutions???

You can usually go into ESPN+ the next day and watch the game. It is usually there for a while. As a sucker for punishment, I generally attend the game on Saturday and then rewatch it(or at least fast forward through it) on Sunday nights. What sucks is when you go in to rewatch the game and find that the entire first quarter is missing because the broadcast didn't start on time(like what happened in the NAU game).

I can't catch the game on ESPN3 as I'll be gone. I have ESPN on my smart TV, but don't see any means of recording it on ESPN3 or watching later as an archived game.
Any solutions???

You can watch it on the cell app as well. You just need to put in your TV provider.

Reactions: jdubb66
Just a random observation:

I count a total of 6 El Paso kids on UTEP's current 2-deep Depth Chart.

By comparison, there were 13 El Paso kids on the 2-deep Depth Chart during Kugler's final winless season here.
We have few starters out of New Mexico also. I consider them about equivalent to EP players.

Reactions: picks up
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT