ADVERTISEMENT

Football Recruiting

JCorona

MI Miner Maniac
Jun 15, 2014
This thread could serve as a place to post any offers UTEP makes. I know there have been several since Dimel took over. If I’m missing any feel free to add them. As new offers go out we can post them here and see which ones commit when it’s all said and done.

Is utep the only school with no commitments? I was looking at team recruiting rankings and Utep wasnt even ranked.

Since our new coaching staff had a late start in recruiting we will probably see most commits happen in the regular signing period in Feb. We should get some JC transfers soon though. I don't believe the staff had time to bring recruits in for visits.

I sure hope we can somehow land Locksley. If we land Locksley and 1 or 2 decent JUCo WR's, we can win 3-4 games next season.

Reactions: Axe-cuseme
Oh I don't know. Figured he might be out doing something like recruiting for your program or something?
His staff has been doing fine so far. Nobody has signed yet but I blame that on the previous regime. Dimel is doing just fine so far. Time will tell so check back in Feb. if you are concerned about UTEP FB.

His staff has been doing fine so far. Nobody has signed yet but I blame that on the previous regime. Dimel is doing just fine so far. Time will tell so check back in Feb. if you are concerned about UTEP FB.

oka.gif

Sounds to me like he's finishing his job at KSU. Does that bother you? Not sure what your point is..
I think Calvary does have a point on this though. Even us KSU fans are surprised Dimel is sticking around to coach in the bowl game. Especially if his son is indeed going to UTEP (not like its his last game he'll coach with his son).

Sitting on 0 recruits but not being out there recruiting is rough. KSU fans would mostly like him to leave so we could sort of "audition" his potential replacements in the bowl game.

I can respect the loyalty in finishing things out, but it just doesn't seem to make sense for either party to me.

Reactions: KaneFan29 and Rot
It is an odd situation but maybe Snyder wanted him to coach the cactus bowl.

Snyder said Dana Dimel will call plays against UCLA at the Cactus Bowl the same way he has all season.

“He wanted to be a part of it, so we had some talks about it, whether that was the best thing for both our program and for him as well down there,” Snyder said. “We came to that conclusion.”

So now you are trolling a UTEP and trying to patronize? We have enough of those from our own fan base. If you want Dimel to leave KSU then just say so. Otherwise have a nice day on your own board. Bye Bye

Oh we couldn't get Dana out of Manhattan fast enough and it's beyond retarded that he's coaching the bowl game, but that's besides the point.

I would be fvcking furious if my newly hired HC was coaching in his previous team's shitty bowl game vs. getting to work immediately on my team that just finished 0-12 and has zero commits for the 2018 class.

And your conclusion out of this is patronizing and trolling. Again, okie dokie.

I think Calvary does have a point on this though. Even us KSU fans are surprised Dimel is sticking around to coach in the bowl game. Especially if his son is indeed going to UTEP (not like its his last game he'll coach with his son).

Sitting on 0 recruits but not being out there recruiting is rough. KSU fans would mostly like him to leave so we could sort of "audition" his potential replacements in the bowl game.

I can respect the loyalty in finishing things out, but it just doesn't seem to make sense for either party to me.

Let's face it, we are going to get the scraps of the scraps this year, regardless of when Dimel gets out there himself. He does have Canales out recrutiting hard so it's possible we'll land an unlikely gem. We, as UTEP fans, know that this is a 3-4 year turn around project and so Dimel owning up to his "responsibilities" as a current KSU staffer is more than understandable, imo. Hopefully by Dimel staying around for the bowl game, he may have more access to the guys that are on KSU's radar, but that ultimately won't end up there. I can see it both ways though.

Let's face it, we are going to get the scraps of the scraps this year, regardless of when Dimel gets out there himself. He does have Canales out recrutiting hard so it's possible we'll land an unlikely gem. We, as UTEP fans, know that this is a 3-4 year turn around project and so Dimel owning up to his "responsibilities" as a current KSU staffer is more than understandable, imo. Hopefully by Dimel staying around for the bowl game, he may have more access to the guys that are on KSU's radar, but that ultimately won't end up there. I can see it both ways though.
You beat me to it. I was about to say the same thing. Basically we all know this isn’t going to be an overnight fix. It’s going to take 3-5 recruiting classes before we are competitive. An extra week or two recruiting will not make much of a difference this coming season anyway. I rather him finish his commitment to KSU than jump on board over here. It shows a lot of his character.

The cupboard is hardly bare. We only have about 12 or 13 scholarships to give. Plus in this day and age, athletes become eligible throughout the year and a coach can pick up good recruits late into the summer if they qualify late. So just relax and let the new coaching staff do their thing. We'll see where we're at come September.

I would be fvcking furious if my newly hired HC was coaching in his previous team's shitty bowl game vs. getting to work immediately on my team that just finished 0-12 and has zero commits for the 2018 class.

Scott Frost is doing the same at UCF. I bet the Nebraska fans are still thrilled to have him.

It really doesn't matter how many or who Dimel pulls in this class, almost anything he does will be an improvement over 2017.

Oh we couldn't get Dana out of Manhattan fast enough and it's beyond retarded that he's coaching the bowl game, but that's besides the point.

And your conclusion out of this is patronizing and trolling. Again, okie dokie.
If you would be fcking furious then that's your personal problem. Your acting like you care about something that doesn't even concern you (i.e. UTEP football)? Is that why you are on this site? Stop wasting your time. We all know how bad UTEP sucks so if you want to troll then I will just ignore.

I don't speak for all UTEP fans, but if Dimel wants to finish his obligation then that's fine with me. I'm not gonna bash the guy for doing that.

I hope for you thay KSU does well with their new offensive coordinator but more importantly I hope UTEP can turn things around too. Have a good one.

Reactions: EPTUTEP
Scott Frost is doing the same at UCF. I bet the Nebraska fans are still thrilled to have him.

It really doesn't matter how many or who Dimel pulls in this class, almost anything he does will be an improvement over 2017.

Scott Frost is also heavily active at NU already with recruiting and motivating the fanbase. He is also an HC (not an OC) of a team that just went unbeaten for the first time in school history and is playing in a new year's six bowl game. A little different scenario all around.

Anywho, good luck.

Reactions: Nugget 07
That'd why he hired a staff so quick, they're already recruiting. February is what we're looking too, not so much the early signing period, it's just not feasible to have many commit under the circumstances.

The cupboard is hardly bare. We only have about 12 or 13 scholarships to give. Plus in this day and age, athletes become eligible throughout the year and a coach can pick up good recruits late into the summer if they qualify late. So just relax and let the new coaching staff do their thing. We'll see where we're at come September.
Actually UTEP has 21 seniors on the team and Dove has announced he will transfer out. That gives UTEP at least 22 scholarships to give.

The thing to watch is mid-year JC transfers. The window for that is Dec 20 thru Jan 15. Locksley is one of those and we will watch to see if he visits in January.

There will be plenty of rides available, with other guys transferring out as well. Locksley has already visited NMSU and Pitt, so it is critical to get some of these guys in for a visit before they commit elsewhere. Other than for possible contractual obligations to KSU, I don't see a reason for Dimel to not already be working at UTEP. Even in a dead period for recruiting, there is ton of catchup to do for a program that already has a bunch of other challenges.

Reactions: Nugget 07

Reactions: Rot and Lil_Train
No sense bashing KSU fans. I'm not excited about his hiring and his resume speaks for itself. I learned my lesson with Price, Kugler and Floyd on the bball side.

However, Dimel joined our family so I want him to succeed. He needs to reach out to El Paso big time and win some hearts and minds.

Reactions: develman
Being completely honest, I was also disappointed our new coaches isn't out recruiting. We are his future and he is ours. Sticking around an extra 4 weeks of being offensive coordinatorin a meaningless bowl game just doesn't seem right to me. Just my opinion

Being completely honest, I was also disappointed our new coaches isn't out recruiting. We are his future and he is ours. Sticking around an extra 4 weeks of being offensive coordinatorin a meaningless bowl game just doesn't seem right to me. Just my opinion

Legit IMO. At least Canales is out there busting his butt recruiting.

Reactions: Axe-cuseme
The University of UTEP. That's a new one...

He probably also received offers from the University of Stanford, The University of Texas at Texas, and the University of Phoenix at Houston/Victoria Campus. Okay, well maybe not Stanford.

C. J. Reese, DL at Kansas St will be a grad transfer to UTEP for his last year of eligibility. He was a 3 star recruit out of San Antonio in 2014.

C.J. Reese‏@cj_reese 1h1 hour ago

It’s Official
26cf.png
1f3c8.png
I will be finishing my last year of eligibility at UTEP and will be pursing my Masters Degree. #Minerstrongpic.twitter.com/D5NIsRIJi4

DSZySrQVAAAHcI_.jpg

UTEPFootball and UTEP Miners
11 replies 22 retweets 81 likes

Looking online I saw that he is a former 3 star recruit but only has 2 career tackles and 1 pass defended. But who cares, let’s see what he brings to the table.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT