ADVERTISEMENT

Football Recruiting

Should look forward to signing anyone tomorrow? Have a feeling they may announce until February.
UTEP only had 9 graduates this year on the fb team. The roster is very lopsided with a total of 13 seniors, 34 juniors, 14 sophomores and 40 freshman. I didn't count how many of each class are redshirt, etc. UTEP may only have room for a handful of recruits depending on how many hit the xfer portal.

I notice that UTEP has a Signing Day banner on their website so they must be planning to sign some players today.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lil_Train
So far we have only announced 1 signee and it's a juco QB. Does this tell us that Dimel doesn't believe in Hardison?

So far we have only announced 1 signee and it's a juco QB. Does this tell us that Dimel doesn't believe in Hardison?

I am not sure. The QB they signed played LB as a Freshman and QB as a Sophmore. Not very accurate at 47%. But he's big. Confusing

Reactions: picks up

If you’re UTEP, a school that has never signed a lock down bad ass QB you’d better be signing QBs every year. They need to throw as many bodies at the problem as possible.

5 scholarships left and we have a completely depleted secondary and no d1 level tight end. Qb is still really shaky. I'm all for bringing some seniors back. I certainly wouldnt carte blanche bring them them all back.

Interesting quote from Dimel: "We'll take anyone back that wants to come back as part of the NCAA requirements. But if a kid's not going to play here, he might make the decision to not come back," Dimel suggested. "I would see us from where we are now, we're at 80 (scholarships) and I would like us to get to 70, so I can see attrition of ten more guys. That's just speculative because I can't control that."

Interesting quote from Dimel: "We'll take anyone back that wants to come back as part of the NCAA requirements. But if a kid's not going to play here, he might make the decision to not come back," Dimel suggested. "I would see us from where we are now, we're at 80 (scholarships) and I would like us to get to 70, so I can see attrition of ten more guys. That's just speculative because I can't control that."

This may be the year to get a gem during recruiting since there will be a logjam of HS Seniors and transfers. Reading between the lines it sounds like now may be the time to run off some kids to make room.

It either means he is courting the 10 guys who are in the transfer portal to stay or maybe he wants some to leave to open up scholarships.

In any case, not sure if its a problem or promising that he has so many guys that want to keep playing and stay in the program.

Reactions: Lil_Train
A high school athlete signed today as well. Could be Jakolby Longino. The lefty QB who verbally committed a while back. Of course UTEP will keep it a secret until February. Also, there may be 2 or 3 Juco Defensive Back Targets that have received offers may commit soon and be here in January.

Reactions: Taco1977
It looks like the offensive coordinator and the defensive coordinator have been fired! Things are moving fast.
With Canales fired i wonder if the hs qb Jakolby Longino will stay committed to UTEP. Saw an article where he was quoted saying Canales was a great coach and went over the offense in detail with him. He said the UTEP offense was very similar to what his team used.

With Canales fired i wonder if the hs qb Jakolby Longino will stay committed to UTEP. Saw an article where he was quoted saying Canales was a great coach and went over the offense in detail with him. He said the UTEP offense was very similar to what his team used.

I would be a little surprised if he ends up in the class.

Im sure coaches will be rushing to snag a guy with one year left, who has just entered the transfer portal for a third time, who on his second team in a weak conference, had little to no effect on the outcome of...anything.

Good luck young man.

2 years left, but point is still valid.

Not that I don’t believe you, but how does he have two years of eligibility left?

Taking a red shirt for last year and this year doesn't count.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT