ADVERTISEMENT

Football Recruiting

Taking a red shirt for last year and this year doesn't count.

Says he played in 16, 17 and 18 at Zona. Shows games played each of those seasons. Redshirted last year, 19, and gets a freebie this year, 20. According to his profile, he has a year left.

Did he medically redshirt for one of his seasons or something like that at AZ? What am I missing?

Last edited:
Reactions: Taco1977
Says he played in 16, 17 and 18 at Zona. Shows games played each of those seasons. Redshirted last year, 19, and gets a freebie this year, 20. According to his profile, he has a year left.

Did he medically redshirt for one of his seasons or something like that at AZ? What am I missing?

The site has his info incomplete. He was injured in 2016 which allowed for a medical red shirt. Last year he only played in four games so that allows for a regular red shirt. And then this year does not count.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
The site has his info incomplete. He was injured in 2016 which allowed for a medical red shirt. Last year he only played in four games so that allows for a regular red shirt. And then this year does not count.
Since the players are likely home for the holidays you may not know this but I'm wondering if there has been any major reaction from them on the coaching changes?

Taco, would it be possible for me to get your email address? I am not sure how to direct message on here (or if you can at all). I have a question I wanted to ask you. Thanks!!

The offensive guys I've talked to seem to be taking a wait and see approach. The defensive guys are jumping for joy mostly.
Dimel has two years left on his contract and I really doubt he will have a distinct turnaround next year nor 2022. Like FIU, Dimel's choices maybe limited and I wouldn't be surprised if he either takes a young gun itching to make a FBS staff or pulls one out of retirement (and wants to move to the southwest for warm weather).

Given Dimel's time constraints (two years is a little too quick to establish a defense under a new assistant), he pulls one or both assistants out of retirement that he has knowns for years and years. Don't be surprised if he uses his KSU connections, obviously. Only previous assistant coach to pull off a quick turnaround was Hundley who came in when Mike Price took over.

Reactions: EMA884
Dimel has two years left on his contract and I really doubt he will have a distinct turnaround next year nor 2022. Like FIU, Dimel's choices maybe limited and I wouldn't be surprised if he either takes a young gun itching to make a FBS staff or pulls one out of retirement (and wants to move to the southwest for warm weather).

Given Dimel's time constraints (two years is a little too quick to establish a defense under a new assistant), he pulls one or both assistants out of retirement that he has knowns for years and years. Don't be surprised if he uses his KSU connections, obviously. Only previous assistant coach to pull off a quick turnaround was Hundley who came in when Mike Price took over.

The talent is there for a turn around. The leadership is not. Hopefully, one of the current players will be given the opportunity to hold players accountable to the team

Reactions: abethagr8
He shouldn't be let back in. Dismel is a nice guy, so he will be back.

It’s hard to argue that. But at the same time, if the DC was a complete jerk, how much blame is laid at his feet for these guys wanting to leave? If those rumors are true maybe Dimel should have handled that internally so that it never got to that point. There are a lot of details we don’t know, but I can see it going both ways.

It’s hard to argue that. But at the same time, if the DC was a complete jerk, how much blame is laid at his feet for these guys wanting to leave? If those rumors are true maybe Dimel should have handled that internally so that it never got to that point. There are a lot of details we don’t know, but I can see it going both ways.

This program needs more players that are 100% bought in and less players that are ready to quit on their brothers at the drop of a dime. There are asshole coaches littered throughout college football. You can't just quit on your brothers because you don't like the coach. That is a character flaw that we need less of on the team.

This program needs more players that are 100% bought in and less players that are ready to quit on their brothers at the drop of a dime. There are asshole coaches littered throughout college football. You can't just quit on your brothers because you don't like the coach. That is a character flaw that we need less of on the team.

This is the worst year ever for a player to try and transfer up. Many players are going to take advantage of the "extra year" and there's less room for new players. Dismel should tell this guy to hit the road. Just like he told Dismel and his teammates a few weeks ago.

I’m at the point where I don’t care. Stay, go, do whatever they want. There’s zero culture and accountability from the top of the administration to the players. Just win. My gut tells me it’s going to take a different AD/coach combo to yield positive results.

I’m at the point where I don’t care. Stay, go, do whatever they want. There’s zero culture and accountability from the top of the administration to the players. Just win. My gut tells me it’s going to take a different AD/coach combo to yield positive results.
You could well be right. Since Dimel will be here next season whether we like it or not I'm hoping the team wins just so we don't have to start over with another 5 year plan. But if they lose out of gate to NMSU, that would need to be the end for coach Dimel.

You could well be right. Since Dimel will be here next season whether we like it or not I'm hoping the team wins just so we don't have to start over with another 5 year plan. But if they lose out of gate to NMSU, that would need to be the end for coach Dimel.

Who won the staff would be a suitable replacement if they fired him one game into the season?

I would like for Dimel to win enough games to keep us out of last place but not enough to make us mediocre.

If he wins six and makes a bowl that will most likely trigger an extension. I can see year 5, 6, and 7+ bouncing around from 2-5 wins.

IMO the sweet spot is 4-8 or 5-7 type of seasons the next two years and then he’s shown the door.

Maybe at that point we can lure or trick a reputable coach into thinking we’re only a few pieces away from a championship team.

My first thought was to tell the kid to hit the road. But after a few minutes of reflection how many of us made mistakes out of frustration or wanted a rewind on something we did or said. I know I’ve had more than a few. Give the KID a second chance.

My first thought was to tell the kid to hit the road. But after a few minutes of reflection how many of us made mistakes out of frustration or wanted a rewind on something we did or said. I know I’ve had more than a few. Give the KID a second chance.

Everyone is entitled to a second chance, it just doesn't have to be at UTEP. He walked out on his brothers, you cannot win with people like that. Letting him back on the team is a prime example of why the program has been bad for a long time. Winning doesn't just happen. It starts with building a culture of players that are 100% bought in.

Everyone is entitled to a second chance, it just doesn't have to be at UTEP. He walked out on his brothers, you cannot win with people like that. Letting him back on the team is a prime example of why the program has been bad for a long time. Winning doesn't just happen. It starts with building a culture of players that are 100% bought in.
I agree with what you are saying but it seems nearly impossible to have a roster of players that are 100% bought in with the entitlement that some kids have today. With 100 kids on the team, there are bound to be bad apples. Even in Alabama with Saban as a head coach, I am sure that there isn't 100% buy in

I agree with what you are saying but it seems nearly impossible to have a roster of players that are 100% bought in with the entitlement that some kids have today. With 100 kids on the team, there are bound to be bad apples. Even in Alabama with Saban as a head coach, I am sure that there isn't 100% buy in

You're 100% right. The difference is, Alabama already has a winning culture established. 80% of the team is 100% bought in. The other 20% is kept in line as much as possible to not ruin the season by that 80%. At UTEP we have about 30% of the team that's 100% bought in. The other 70% is what is dictating the culture. No program is going to be successful without having the players keep each other accountable. We don't have that at UTEP and we won't as long as we keep filling the roster with players that have a mercenary mentality.

You're 100% right. The difference is, Alabama already has a winning culture established. 80% of the team is 100% bought in. The other 20% is kept in line as much as possible to not ruin the season by that 80%. At UTEP we have about 30% of the team that's 100% bought in. The other 70% is what is dictating the culture. No program is going to be successful without having the players keep each other accountable. We don't have that at UTEP and we won't as long as we keep filling the roster with players that have a mercenary mentality.

That’s a coaching issue. Coaches are the ones out recruiting these kids, accepting commitments from them and setting the day to day expectations/mentality/culture.

It is abundantly clear that establishing culture is not a strong suit of Dimel’s, which is quite a necessity these days. Because let’s be honest, it is rare for a kid to be 100% committed to anything, especially in this day and age where it’s all about “me, me, me”.

Gotta have a leader who projects this quality and then demands it from his whole staff and his players.

Last edited:
Playing devil's advocate here but is it possible that players aren't bought in because they see how incompetent their coach is?

I think MineroFanatico nailed it. The coach has to demanded from the players. Not only in the things that he says, but in the actions that he takes with the team. For example, taking these guys back that quit on the team. Sure it helps a little bit in the short term, but in the long term he has sent a message to the entire team that actions have no consequence. Another example, is the way they run practices all season. Players will continually make mistakes in the game and then during the week there is no competition for their spot. Those same players that are making mistakes continually and have been anointed the team leaders are leading team smokeout sessions. Top to bottom there is just no accountability or buy-in. The talent is absolutely there to be at a minimum a 500 club in conference play. Someone just has to stand up and say enough is enough of all the bullshit that's going on.

Dimel was quoted in the Times after the UNT game that the team showed a lot of fight but he was evaluating who fights, who is upset with a loss, who cares about the program. That sounds to me that he is happy with a lot of his players but knows he has some he needs to weed out. He does need to make room for players that give a damn about their team.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT