ADVERTISEMENT

Football Recruiting

UTEP gets a JC linebacker.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">After a great talk with the coaches, giving all praises to the most high. I’m excited to say I have received an offer from the University of Texas at El Paso where I will be continuing my football 🏈 and academic career‼️I want to thank all my coaches at TJC.🙏🏾 <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/GoMiners?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc^tfw">#GoMiners</a> ⛏ <a href="https://t.co/13AIH6XuFw">pic.twitter.com/13AIH6XuFw</a></p>&mdash; JAMES NEAL (@Kingf_24) <a href="">June 24, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

"[Junior to be from Canutillo]...Martin has been busy going to various camps and visiting different schools on unofficial visits. Among the places include Baylor, SMU, Oklahoma, and SMU. In addition, he plans to go to a camp at UNLV later this month, and UTEP has shown much interest in Martin. "- EPTimes.com

Has offer from Baylor.

Parkland OL Tyrone McDuffie III gets an offer from the Buffs: (Yes UTEP has offered)

We need one of these bad boys on the team

Kid wanted to follow pops footsteps to Kansas State, but it did not happen. This is from last year:

"• Luke Seib, 6-4, 213, jr., TE/DL, Blue Springs South — Another tall, lanky receiver, Seib is expected to have a breakout season as a junior. He has already drawn interest from Kansas State, where his father Brad played tight end, and he participated in the Kansas City Showcase III earlier this month. He has been featured on the GoPowercat.com website for his pass catching ability at the Showcase."

An area where I feel that Dimel has done really well, is adjusting his recruiting to fit UTEP's weaknesses. While the rest of the country is signing more and more transfer portal players, Dimel mentioned that we have encountered some personality issues with the transfer portal guys and that he has begun moving away from that. I don't believe that we added any transfer portal players last year, outside of the K State guys, who Dimel already had relationships with.

Dimel states that with more schools signing transfer portal guys, it is leaving less competition for the JC guys and UTEP has had some success with these JC guys(just look at our defense). JC football can be tough, with poor facilities and bad living situations, usually in small towns. A lot of JC guys also have to pay at least part of their tuition/books/room and board, so when they end up getting to UTEP, they often appreciate their situation here much more than other recruits who haven't gone through those same struggles. It's a solid philosophy for a place like UTEP, especially when a lot of these JC guys also have 3 years of eligibility to play. With the roster built as it is, Dimel can also redshirt these JC guys so it's not such a short career for them. Based on all of this, I believe that we will continue to see more JC recruits and very few D1 transfer portal recruits.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT