ADVERTISEMENT

Football Recruiting

Just a little clean-up; some of the guys that we were in on and the coaches got to visit, but then ended up signing elsewhere, were:

- DT to Fresno State.
- DE to UNT.
- DB to EMU.
- WR to Utah State.

I show 2, possibly 3 more JC guys, that are still unaccounted for(haven't signed with us and haven't been announced as signing with anybody else yet). So we will see what happens with them.

We also continue to buck the trend and thus far have not signed any D1 transfers from the portal.

Rankings can have value, but the JC guys are not accounted for the same way as HS guys. In UTEP's particular situation, due to it's large number of JC's, it is complete honest to say that the rankings don't matter.

What is nice about our program currently, is that most colleges recruit JC's when they need immediate help. Dimel has built the roster to where most of our new JC guys are now being brought in for either depth, or to be developed(I.E. they have 3 years left to play).

Hope they can snag someone out of the blue, still 10th compared to dead last is good stuff. Dimel might just be doing it the way, that UTEP can actually benefit from. They should promote, come to UTEP, end up at P5 😂

We certainly hauled in some receivers. At least a couple are sophomores, too. Hopefully one can replace Garrett, and then someone can fill the void left by Smith as he’s busy filling the void left by Cowing’s departure.

Maybe I shoulda just said that hopefully at least two of them can step up immediately and fill some of the void at wr.

Looks like Amier Boyd flipped his commitment from Northern Illinois to UTEP today! Whoo hoo…we got a flip!!

I think he committed to Nevada or Utah St first before Northern Illinois. He played QB and didn't have any offers. He just started playing DB this past year.

I think what Dimel has done at UTEP by recruiting JC players that can contribute immediately will be the new norm for most mid majors. It looks like Dimel was ahead of the game and has found great gems via the JC route. With the current transfer rule it becomes very risky to build a team with mostly HS recruits. You will end up developing HS players and seeing them transfer to G5 programs. Dimel has established great contacts with JC coaches and those players appreciate their opportunity to play FBS football. He’s addressing immediate needs and building depth by bringing in players that have 2 to 3 years of eligibility remaining.

Interesting that Jordan Palmer put Dimel onto QB McNamara. Dimel seems pretty high on him.

Jordan Palmer also said that Calvin Brownholtz would be a "great player for the Miners for years to come" and "UTEP fans should be excited that the Miners have another potential starting quarterback ready to take over the team in a few years":

So what’s the stain on this kid? Has he been in trouble? There has to be some reason the offers haven’t poured in. This kid is too good to not have them.

10 yards per carry. Played on Texas High School’s biggest stage (almost). Good size. Good speed. Good vision. 1500 yards. 27 TDs. Something doesn’t seem to add up.
The only "stain" on him was he was hurt early in the season and was told his football playing days were over. He went to physical therapy (the high school trainers do the physical therapy) His stats are not for a complete year and to me his rushing stats for the first three playoff games of 900 plus yards should tell the coaches that his injury was behind him. He ended up signing with HBU

The only "stain" on him was he was hurt early in the season and was told his football playing days were over. He went to physical therapy (the high school trainers do the physical therapy) His stats are not for a complete year and to me his rushing stats for the first three playoff games of 900 plus yards should tell the coaches that his injury was behind him. He ended up signing with HBU
Yeah, not knocking the kid. Looked very impressive to me. That’s why I asked that question. Very surprised there were not more offers.

An injury that he was not supposed to recover from makes sense as to why programs were apprehensive about pulling the trigger on the kid. He’ll be a really good FCS player is my bet…if he stays healthy.

Reactions: Lil_Train
Yeah, not knocking the kid. Looked very impressive to me. That’s why I asked that question. Very surprised there were not more offers.

An injury that he was not supposed to recover from makes sense as to why programs were apprehensive about pulling the trigger on the kid. He’ll be a really good FCS player is my bet…if he stays healthy.
He will tear them up next year then he can transfer, I am sure that there will be a lot of schools wanting him.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT