ADVERTISEMENT

Football Recruiting

I think UTEP is allowed by NCAA rules to take up to 32 incoming players for the 2022 recruiting class because of the new NCAA rule that allows you to take up to seven more (25 +7) incoming players if you have at least seven outgoing players in the portal.

Does anyone have an old Carolla they can donate? Seems like it would bring in more money with the price of gas these days. No offense to Dana.

I did not misspell corolla on purpose.

I sometimes wonder why UTEP doesn't put more effort into going after the better local talent. They might do something with the top two or three El Paso area athletes every year. That being said, I'll make an exception to what I just observed. Angel Munoz from Riverside got an offer from Army. He could do well under Army's style of play. Look for the best fit for both the athlete and the school. Just an observation.

I sometimes wonder why UTEP doesn't put more effort into going after the better local talent. They might do something with the top two or three El Paso area athletes every year. That being said, I'll make an exception to what I just observed. Angel Munoz from Riverside got an offer from Army. He could do well under Army's style of play. Look for the best fit for both the athlete and the school. Just an observation.
Listen to Dimel’s radio show and post game show’s. He is crafty and clever when going after his prized recruits. I loved his story when he recruited one of UTEP’s top linebackers at a visit to a JC. Two BiG XII were in the foyer or waiting room and he went to go hide in the bushes or something like that. They never saw him.

If Dimel has a specific type of athlete he's looking for and is willing to put forth the effort to recruit them, I'd say he is going to have long term success. I'm still perturbed at Koogler for not even trying to recruit a field goal kicker his last season at UTEP. We could have beaten North Texas that season if he had done anything.

Right. It was Western Kentucky. The walk on kicker the Miners used went 0 for 3 in attempts that game. We lost by a point.

Texas Tech is getting all the good local players. Texas Tech considers El Paso its local turf. I wouldn't be shocked if they have a recruiting office in the Texas Tech Medical school.

Texas Tech is getting all the good local players. Texas Tech considers El Paso its local turf. I wouldn't be shocked if they have a recruiting office in the Texas Tech Medical school.
Tech has been pushing a narrative for over 50 years regarding El Paso. The geopolitical back n forth spills over to the sports side.

UTEP steals some from Lubbock, too. The most famous being Thomas Howard from Estacado High recruited by Gary Nord. Mike Price publicly bemused how did get away from Tech? Simple, he was undersized but blew up physically while at UTEP. That was Nords style; get the under the radar undersized recruits and develop them when on campus.

This kid’s a freshman from Parkland and he got offered an scholarship to Oregon St. Speaking of under the radar talents, is this kid THAT good? He’s only 5’10” right now, and I’m wondering if any of you guys have seen him play.

Which local players did Tech get? The last one I remember was Britton but they turned him into a receiver.

and they have also offered a bunch of other players.
I read an article where a Texas Tech coach stated they treat west Texas as their back yard. Unlike UT, ATM, Baylor etc., TT focuses on identifying talent in west Texas before everyone else and start building relationships with these players and their coaches. If there’s any talented players in El Paso, TT will be the first to make contact with them. This is something UTEP should be doing as well. Besides El Paso, UTEP should include the Midland/Odessa areas and Phoenix and Tucson areas.

I read an article where a Texas Tech coach stated they treat west Texas as their back yard. Unlike UT, ATM, Baylor etc., TT focuses on identifying talent in west Texas before everyone else and start building relationships with these players and their coaches. If there’s any talented players in El Paso, TT will be the first to make contact with them. This is something UTEP should be doing as well. Besides El Paso, UTEP should include the Midland/Odessa areas and Phoenix and Tucson areas.
Oh good gawd. All in state recruiting coaches state this. It is literally "Coach speak".

Staying to play for your home town team is a good thing. So is going out and spreading your wings.

Reactions: Dmanminer
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT