ADVERTISEMENT

Football Recruiting

We have to recruit players. Doesn't matter what they run if they don't have the horses to run it. "It's the Johnnys and the Joes, not the exes and the o's" - Mike Price.
I think Kugler proved that.

Actually UTEP has 21 seniors on the team and Dove has announced he will transfer out. That gives UTEP at least 22 scholarships to give.

The thing to watch is mid-year JC transfers. The window for that is Dec 20 thru Jan 15. Locksley is one of those and we will watch to see if he visits in January.
I was wrong about the numbers apparently. Dimel was quoted in the Prospector that he only had about 10 scholarships to give.

Not sure Dimel wants to go to war next year with a roster that was winless in '17, surprised he hasn't had more "frank" conversations with players. Kugler had about run off a boatload of kids by this time...

Not sure Dimel wants to go to war next year with a roster that was winless in '17, surprised he hasn't had more "frank" conversations with players. Kugler had about run off a boatload of kids by this time...
I think he will if players start to show interest in signing with UTEP.

Dimmel has made a point to say (twice) that all the players left are "ours now". There may be some attrition when the real evaluations begin, but I doubt he runs players off. As bad as Kugler did on the field, he left the program in good standing. Also Dimmel has stated that it will take him a few years. I don't expect him to turn things around immediately but if he can get things in track and recruit well it won't take long.

Now how does that comment even make sense? Not sure what team you were watching, but the UTEP I saw last season earned their 0-12 record. They lose 21 out of 22 head up position matchups last year against any .500 FBS team in the country.
It makes sense. You just need to use some more mental fortitude. Let me elaborate a bit. There's two sides to a 'successful' football program. Kugler didn't do well ON the field, and didn't get the best players, but he left the program in good standing (OFF the field).

Last edited:
It makes sense. You just need to use some more mental fortitude. Let me elaborate a bit. There's two sides to a 'successful' football program. Kugler didn't do well ON the field, and didn't get the best players, but he left the program in good standing (OFF the field).

Okay, I think I see where you're going with that: "Sean Kugler was the UTEP Head Football Coach who went winless over a season, finished DFL in recruiting every year on the job, with the high APR." That'll look good on a resume.

Just takes a little mental fortitude...

Reactions: El Paso 777
Okay, I think I see where you're going with that: "Sean Kugler was the UTEP Head Football Coach who went winless over a season, finished DFL in recruiting every year on the job, with the high APR." That'll look good on a resume.

Just takes a little mental fortitude...
Good job I knew you could do it.

Both new Miners were 3 star recruits out of high school. The DE grad transfer from K State and this JC transfer. Under Kugler, UTEP recruited only 5 three star players in 5 years. One was grad transfer Jameil Showers who led the only credible UTEP offense under Kugler.

UCF had about 50 players on its undefeated roster this year that went 0-12 in 2015. UTEPs 1988 Bowl team was loaded with guys from the winless 1985 team.

Manny Harris is another JUCO QB, I wonder if that means they don't feel too confident about landing Locksley????

Maybe they just dont like any of the QBs on current roster? Need some backups.

Depends on what other offers he has no? You are offering to let him compete for the starting job. If you look at it that way, that may be more than some schools are offering some of these kids. As of right now, you can say the QB job is open.

Depends on what other offers he has no? You are offering to let him compete for the starting job. If you look at it that way, that may be more than some schools are offering some of these kids. As of right now, you can say the QB job is open.
good point. they may want to run the dual qb system like at kstate

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT