ADVERTISEMENT

Frank Wilson out at UTSA

UTSA went with a “hot” recruiting assistant from a storied program, LSU, and these were the results. Many on this board think a hot assistant is the solution. This was a bold hire to begin with, he never was a coordinator, just known for his recruiting ability.

UTSA went with a “hot” recruiting assistant from a storied program, LSU, and these were the results. Many on this board think a hot assistant is the solution. This was a bold hire to begin with, he never was a coordinator, just known for his recruiting ability.

And his results were better than Kugler’s and Dismel’s so far. 3-1 vs UTEP

Where did Campos find the 2.5 million for the buyout? The previous AD had just signed him to a raise and extension a year before she took over.

Reactions: FarWestTexas
I think it's a really good idea to post every college coaching firing and compare the situation to ours.

A lot of the posters on here are clueless and are unable to obtain this info themselves. It’s also important to show that almost every other school values winning more than UTEP. And if there’s 1 school you could compare UTEP to, it’s UTSA.

Also, nobody forces you to open or reply to any thread on here. If you’re not interested in a topic, don’t click it. It’s just that simple. Do you see me in the Cowboys thread? No, because I don’t give 2 shits about them.

Reactions: Autograph Boy
A lot of the posters on here are clueless and are unable to obtain this info themselves. It’s also important to show that almost every other school values winning more than UTEP. And if there’s 1 school you could compare UTEP to, it’s UTSA.

Also, nobody forces you to open or reply to any thread on here. If you’re not interested in a topic, don’t click it. It’s just that simple. Do you see me in the Cowboys thread? No, because I don’t give 2 shits about them.
This is huge news and should impact Senter/Dimel. UTSA didn’t even have a football team at the start of the decade. This program was built from scratch. Since their inception in 2011 they have won more games than us in that same time period. Going forward they’re showing .500 isn’t good enough for UTSA. Senter is praying to all his Gods that Dimel can reach at least one .500 season by year 5/6.

This upsets me even more cuz I don’t think Campos would have gone with that loser Dimel and if she did his ass would be gone right now.

What a completely arrogant and ridiculous statement.

This is huge news and should impact Senter/Dimel. UTSA didn’t even have a football team at the start of the decade. This program was built from scratch. Since their inception in 2011 they have won more games than us in that same time period. Going forward they’re showing .500 isn’t good enough for UTSA. Senter is praying to all his Gods that Dimel can reach at least one .500 season by year 5/6.

This upsets me even more cuz I don’t think Campos would have gone with that loser Dimel and if she did his ass would be gone right now.

Exactly. A lot of “cheerleaders” like to shit on UTSA for “ripping off” UTEPs colors and their KFC ticket deals. UTSA has a god awful basketball program and like you said, new football program. Yet, their football program is head and shoulders above ours.

UTSA and UAB are prime examples of schools with nothing, but are better off. UTEP was ahead of these schools in football, but now we’re way behind. Still, we have fans that are okay with “UTEPing it” because it was like this in the 70s and everyone needs more time. Sad really.

You’re right, Campos wouldn’t have hired Dismel and Parks probably wouldn’t have either. Look on the bright side, the Volleyball team is doing well!!!!

Since Frank Wilson took over at UTSA, they have consistently been in the top 3rd of the conference in recruiting. That's 4 years of recruits and his program has gone downhill. This is not an apples to apples situation. Utep has been consistently been In the bottom of the conference in recruiting for the past 4 years and our results speak to that. It goes to show you that you can’t just be a great recruiter to succeed, you have to be a good coach as well. Also, Wilson lost a ton of his top assistant and coordinators after their bowl game appearance and wasn’t able to get the same quality. We saw that In The Price era as well. The last President of UTSA made athletics a top priority. Utep’s last president made education top priority. Unfortunately, you can’t just wave a wand and make everything better. Is Dimel the solution...I doubt it. Also on a side note, I have many friends who are top donors for UTSA and they were never happy with the Campos hiring and are still not happy with her in general. I will wait to pass judgment when I see who she has to replace him. Remember, UTSA is a much better prospect for any coach than UTEP. Top recruiting classes, favorable location to recruiting hot beds, new program without the baggage of many years of incompetence. Wilson is not leaving the cupboard dry like Kugler. Campos probably wouldn’t have hired Dimel because she will get a better pool of candidates for that job. Unfortunately, Utep is the black hole for college head coaches. Once they leave here, you never hear from them again.

Since Frank Wilson took over at UTSA, they have consistently been in the top 3rd of the conference in recruiting. That's 4 years of recruits and his program has gone downhill. This is not an apples to apples situation. Utep has been consistently been In the bottom of the conference in recruiting for the past 4 years and our results speak to that. It goes to show you that you can’t just be a great recruiter to succeed, you have to be a good coach as well. Also, Wilson lost a ton of his top assistant and coordinators after their bowl game appearance and wasn’t able to get the same quality. We saw that In The Price era as well. The last President of UTSA made athletics a top priority. Utep’s last president made education top priority. Unfortunately, you can’t just wave a wand and make everything better. Is Dimel the solution...I doubt it. Also on a side note, I have many friends who are top donors for UTSA and they were never happy with the Campos hiring and are still not happy with her in general. I will wait to pass judgment when I see who she has to replace him. Remember, UTSA is a much better prospect for any coach than UTEP. Top recruiting classes, favorable location to recruiting hot beds, new program without the baggage of many years of incompetence. Wilson is not leaving the cupboard dry like Kugler. Campos probably wouldn’t have hired Dimel because she will get a better pool of candidates for that job. Unfortunately, Utep is the black hole for college head coaches. Once they leave here, you never hear from them again.

Central Michigan was 1-11 last year and this year they’re 8-4 and won their division. Some coach came in there and won 7 more games with probably a lot of the same players. The coach got the most out of those players.

You can talk about location and I agree that San Antonio, by any measurable stat is “better” than El Paso. Now, I have never been to Mt Pleasant, Michigan, but I know that El Paso is a “better” city than it. So how can a ex-SEC coach go there, for less $ than Dismel and become a winner?

You pro-Senter and pro-Dismel people will come up with any excuse for UTEPs failures. El Paso is not a shithole, our facilities aren’t trash, we just hire some shitty coaches. (football only here).

Central Michigan has a better football program history than Utep. You can’t even compare. You want apples to apples....that is not it. Central Michigan is only a couple hours drive from multiple states, so much easier to recruit. Heck, they even had the winningest coach in MAC history there in the 1990’s. Yes, that was 20 years ago but gives you kind of an idea of the kind of program they have there. Also, if memory serves me right, I believe Butch Jones was there in 2007 (?). So don’t tell me about there turn around. Impressive. Yes. Comparable. No.

And if you think I’m pro Dimel, you are mistaken. However, I was not privy to the candidates, their contract requirements and demands, Utep’s budget, etc. But based on my judgement, the cupboard was dry and the candidate pool was probably not as strong as some of y’all may think. But as of right now, I will give Senter a pass because from what I have seen with the other sports, he won’t put up with this too much longer. One year tops. Even though it will feel like an eternity.

Reactions: EMA884
Central Michigan has a better football program history than Utep. You can’t even compare.

So if you have a bad program history, it will always be bad? If you have a good one, it will always be good? Only works for football though right? I mean has a really good basketball history, how did that help Terry get these players and beat UNM and NMSU?

So if you have a bad program history, it will always be bad? If you have a good one, it will always be good? Only works for football though right? I mean has a really good basketball history, how did that help Terry get these players and beat UNM and NMSU?
You’re kidding right? After Haskins retired, every up and coming coach wanted and still wants this job. The basketball coaching job here is known now as a jumpstart to a basketball coaches dream job. Why did Terry leave Fresno and jump on board at UTEP? He rebuilt a program and left a better conference to a school that has the facilities and tradition of Utep. He knows if he wins here, he will be all but guaranteed a lucrative job somewhere else. These players bought in to what he was selling and he did bring the cavalry....and that is why they beat UNM and NMSU. Also, on another note....Brian Kelly was also a head coach at Central Michigan. I almost forgot about that one.

Reactions: Lil_Train
if Utep fired him today...what kind of message does that send out to prospective coaches? Go to Utep, their program is in the ground and they want you to have immediate results or else. Don’t worry about building a sustainable program, just bring In transfers and hope it works out because they won’t give you time to recruit and build a program. Yes, I will take our coach for one more year because if nothing else, Dimel has shown that he is a better recruiter and he left Houston with the talent for the next guy to get it done. Then In typical Utep fan fashion, when the next coach takes Dimel’s guys to bowl game, we will congratulate him as the next coming until he can’t repeat it. What a cycle we Miner fans live in...

Reactions: Vegasminer
if Utep fired him today...what kind of message does that send out to prospective coaches? Go to Utep, their program is in the ground and they want you to have immediate results or else. Don’t worry about building a sustainable program, just bring In transfers and hope it works out because they won’t give you time to recruit and build a program. Yes, I will take our coach for one more year because if nothing else, Dimel has shown that he is a better recruiter and he left Houston with the talent for the next guy to get it done. Then In typical Utep fan fashion, when the next coach takes Dimel’s guys to bowl game, we will congratulate him as the next coming until he can’t repeat it. What a cycle we Miner fans live in...

If by results you mean evidence of improvement, then hell yes, that’s the message that we should want to put out there. Any coach that doesn’t think they can improve the program from year to year ain’t worth a damn. If Dimel had won 2-3 games this year, and it was evident the team was improving, say maybe like Rice, then the fan base might have more patience. We SHOULD be sending a message that the university won’t tolerate complacency. Show improvement and your job is safe. Show no improvement and hit the road. It’s clearly not working using the opposite approach where a coach’s job is safe no matter what.

I guess it sends the message that regression after two years is unacceptable. He took over the 129th team in the nation and now we’re the 130th. (Liberty joined FBS)

Any coach that believes he cant beat more than one FBS team in two years shouldn’t apply.

We’re not asking for the transformation every other cusa team has experienced. We know we can’t expect bowl games and conference titles. It sucks to see others in our conference do it but I’m sure you can come up with 1000 reasons why they can and we can’t.

As low as our expectations are those arent being fulfilled either. He is taking us back to the 70s. The year before Kugler left we were still winning at least 4-5 games a year.

This team is as bad as the one he took over and it already has at least 50 of his recruits in the program. Which recruits are you looking forward to the most in this upcoming class? Which of his recruits during the last four games of the year impressed you the most? Who do you think is better between Hardison and Goodwin? What did you like most about Goodwin when he played?

This whole debate reminds me of a time in the my twenties when I met a bunch of my friends for drinks in Austin. One of them brought a new girl with him. As we were all having a good time, everybody started talking longhorn football and how Mack Brown wasn’t getting the job done. I noticed how my friend and his girl were just getting quieter and quieter. Finally when she looked like she just couldn’t take it anymore, he said that she was in fact Mack Brown’s daughter. The table immediately got quiet and she said, it’s okay, none of y’all have even the slightest idea what it takes to run a football program. I don’t claim to know the solution To the Utep football debacle but I will always remember what she said that day.

I'm not a Dimel fan and am not a fan of the hire but everyone on this board who wants him fired donate 50k to UTEP and make it happen, otherwise stop whining. Dimel's our coach unless we raise a couple of million of dollars . There are not rich boosters out there willing to pitch in money for UTEP Athletics and the school does not have the money

This whole debate reminds me of a time in the my twenties when I met a bunch of my friends for drinks in Austin. One of them brought a new girl with him. As we were all having a good time, everybody started talking longhorn football and how Mack Brown wasn’t getting the job done. I noticed how my friend and his girl were just getting quieter and quieter. Finally when she looked like she just couldn’t take it anymore, he said that she was in fact Mack Brown’s daughter. The table immediately got quiet and she said, it’s okay, none of y’all have even the slightest idea what it takes to run a football program. I don’t claim to know the solution To the Utep football debacle but I will always remember what she said that day.

Soooooooo, are you insinuating that you’re Dana Dimel’s daughterrrr?

Lol....no but I’m insinuating that as a mere fan I don’t have the knowledge or the expertise to know the solution. Those in the know on how these things are run, please enlighten me because it seems to me there is a bunch “experts” on this board that have all of the solutions.

Lol....no but I’m insinuating that as a mere fan I don’t have the knowledge or the expertise to know the solution. Those in the know on how these things are run, please enlighten me because it seems to me there is a bunch “experts” on this board that have all of the solutions.

Aside from a poster or two, I not aware of anyone on here who honestly thinks they know what it takes to run a program. However, are you suggesting that because that’s the case, we shouldn’t expect results? I mean we’re not even demanding wins here, just improvement. Is that really too much to ask for?

The experts always think they know what the solution is but looking at our FB history, I would say that even the real experts can't solve this thing. Some have said that UTEP should run a triple option offense because it seems to work for some schools that cannot recruit the best athletes. Maybe there is something to that, I don't really know. One thing I feel that I do know is Dimel will return for a 3rd year and I hope it shows some real improvement that we can hang our hat on. If he turns out to be successful then all this suffering by UTEP fans will not be in vain. And it is painful. If he does not show real improvement next season I certainly hope he is canned at that point. 3 years should be the max for such suffering.

Reactions: SAMINERGIRL
The same old lame, you haven’t coached college football, so you have an opinion that isn’t valid. It’s total BS. Nobody can comment on Senter then. I’m sure nobody has been an AD before. Can’t comment on Trump, because there’s no ex-Presidents on here. Can’t say Souley Boum isn’t a good player because we didn’t play college ball.

I guess unless you worked at McDonalds, you can’t tell them their food was made wrong. I guess unless you built cars for Ford, you can’t say their Focus was a crappy car. I guess unless you were an actor, you can’t criticize someone’s performance in a movie.

Results are expected. But I also know that we lost 3 key defensive players (Hopkins, Beverly and needham) and brought in a ton of transfers in our secondary. Also the depth and talent of our LB core was questionable. So am I shocked that our defense regressed...no. I also know that none of us were sold on Locksley and Jones but knew we had potential qbs that were recruited. I expected 2 to 3 wins this year, not much improvement. Now, next year, we will have the majority of Kugler’s recruits gone and Dimel’s guys will be in place. If there is not a dramatic improvement, then it’s time for him to go. That’s my two cents, take it as you want.

Results are expected. But I also know that we lost 3 key defensive players (Hopkins, Beverly and needham) and brought in a ton of transfers in our secondary. Also the depth and talent of our LB core was questionable. So am I shocked that our defense regressed...no. I also know that none of us were sold on Locksley and Jones but knew we had potential qbs that were recruited. I expected 2 to 3 wins this year, not much improvement. Now, next year, we will have the majority of Kugler’s recruits gone and Dimel’s guys will be in place. If there is not a dramatic improvement, then it’s time for him to go. That’s my two cents, take it as you want.

Fair enough. Because he is coming back for a 3rd year, without a doubt. Hope I have to eat crow at this time next year.

Now here is a coach you can get behind. Maybe. At least he is pleading for another year and making solid promises that can be measured in one season. This is from the ODU coach whose team was also 1-11 this year:

“I am confident with 104 players back, 72 with game experience, 19 starters back, our kicker and our long snapper we will be a bowl team in 2020. if we are not at least a bowl team I would resign after next year and turn the program I built and love over to someone else for a new direction,” Wilder told FootballScoop

Now here is a coach you can get behind. Maybe. At least he is pleading for another year and making solid promises that can be measured in one season. This is from the ODU coach whose team was also 1-11 this year:

“I am confident with 104 players back, 72 with game experience, 19 starters back, our kicker and our long snapper we will be a bowl team in 2020. if we are not at least a bowl team I would resign after next year and turn the program I built and love over to someone else for a new direction,” Wilder told FootballScoop
He built that program from the ground up through FCS into FBS. He had a lot of good times during the FCS years. He also showed flashes of having that same success at the FBS level. He’s still adjusting and had a tough season but it seems like he’s only a few pieces away from putting it all together.

Not sure a coach would look at it like that. Any coach applying would watch film and see the poor coaching. They would understand the need for change.

I'm not a Dimel fan and am not a fan of the hire but everyone on this board who wants him fired donate 50k to UTEP and make it happen, otherwise stop whining. Dimel's our coach unless we raise a couple of million of dollars . There are not rich boosters out there willing to pitch in money for UTEP Athletics and the school does not have the money
Hey Will, Aaron, and other alumni are you listening??

Reactions: MineroFanatico
Its a results oriented business. If Dimmel won 2 games this year, I'd be unhappy, but patient. If Dimmel won 3 games, id be happy.

No one was expecting a sudden turnaround, but Dimmel took the worst program in FBS and made it worse in a lot of ways. Worse. Think about how incompetent you have to be to somehow be worse. At least Kuglers teams played with discipline and technique for goodness sakes.

Mike Cánales has to go. That should be priority #1, finding a new OC. Cox will prob stay given the KSU relationship but I wouldn’t mind him gone either.

Reactions: FarWestTexas
I am not a chef and couldn't tell you how an Internet connection works. Does that mean I can't complain about how my food at a restaurant tastes and about my poor Internet connection?

Reactions: NoNCAAWinsSince1992
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT