ADVERTISEMENT

From the CUSA forum--predictions for UTEP hoops

topminer

All Star
Sep 5, 2003
The average of all predictions on the CUSA forum has UTEP hoops finishing in 7th place for this upcoming season.

Let this be a challenge and slap in the face to our coach and players. They have to earn the respect this season. Posters are still upset with our pre-conference record bringing down the CUSA RPI--and, personally, I don't blame them for holding that against us.

It's time to take a proper seat at the table.

Reactions: axingfools1
I wouldn't put too much thought into that poll. If we had more UTEP fans picking us to finish first like most of those homer picks on there we would easily be in the top four. As it is now only two UTEP fans have voted on it. Other teams have five, six or more fans from their school predicting they will finish high on the poll. It's more of a popularity contest.

No way the miners finish outside the top 4. IMO its UAB, UTEP, WKU and ODU in no particular order. La Tech and MTSU could hang around because of guard play. Anything else for UTEP and the natives will blow a gasket.

I expect UTEP to be in the top 3 due to the late run from last year.
It will be tough. I think the top 6 teams are pretty even. We always
dog fights with UAB and LA Tech. WKU, MTSU, ODU and
Middle Tennessee can surprise any of the G5 teams.

Go Miners...

If last year's pathetic team earned a CUSA bye then I don't know why this year's team would be predicted to finish 7th (unless a round of Tim Floyd defections is baked into the prediction).

There's a decent core coming back. Omega, Thomas and Wilma are a nice group. I really expect Thomas to be the star this year. I think he will be be the best player on the team. The problem is there are eight newcomers, it's going to take some tome for them to develop. I hope I'm wrong I don't see us in the top four. This year UAB, WKU and ODU are the class of the league. Then comes la tech and MTSU. We are in the gaggle of teams in the middle. I think 6th is probably realistic. I like this group of incoming players if Floyd cans for the first time in his tenure retain and develop an entire class we will be in good shape next year. This year too many raw and unproven players to be a legit contender.

It still comes down to the PG position. If either Gilyard or McGee are good enough to supplant Touchet at PG, or if Touchet progresses into a true PG, then this is easily a top 4 team (if not the top team in CUSA).

The team has good players, size and experience. We have 4 starters coming back in Willms, PT, Faggert and Omega. We have the first 2 guys off the bench from last year coming back in Touchet and Jones. We have a strong looking backup freshman PF (with no pressure) and a top JC SF that could push for a starting position. We also have 2 athletic wings (One who practiced all year with the team) behind Omega and 2 very talented young PGs that will be vying for playing time and an opportunity to take over the team. The schedule sets up nice too. No real excuses this year other than losing Artis, but between the 4 new guards I'm certain at least 1 will step up and contribute enough for UTEP to win.

Last edited:
I agree that PG is the big question, and a vital one.

If anyone doubts how important that position is, they need to look no further than Middle Tennessee and Giddy Potts. He will be a four-year starter at point guard, so that is why I feel MTSU will be somewhere in the mix. Replacing Reggie Upshaw (who also seemed to be on their team forever) and JaCorey Williams is no small feat, but Kermit Davis always manages to put together a strong lineup.

I agree that PG is the big question, and a vital one.

If anyone doubts how important that position is, they need to look no further than Middle Tennessee and Giddy Potts. He will be a four-year starter at point guard, so that is why I feel MTSU will be somewhere in the mix. Replacing Reggie Upshaw (who also seemed to be on their team forever) and JaCorey Williams is no small feat, but Kermit Davis always manages to put together a strong lineup.
Agree that the PG position is critical. However, in regard to MTSU, Tyrik Dixon is their PG, and Potts is a two guard.

We are forgetting Kelvin Jones, he is going to be a force come Jan.
Don't forget him.

GO Miners...

We are forgetting Kelvin Jones, he is going to be a force come Jan.
Don't forget him.

GO Miners...

Can Jones play point?

BTW, here's a little back story I heard about Jones:

Kelvin Jones is Mormon. His grandfather moved to Mexico because he was a polygamist and they wouldn't be bothered by the law there. He had nine wives and 56 children, one of which was Kelvin's dad.

Can you imagine their family reunions? He probably doesn't know all his cousins by name haha.

Can Jones play point?

BTW, here's a little back story I heard about Jones:

Kelvin Jones is Mormon. His grandfather moved to Mexico because he was a polygamist and they wouldn't be bothered by the law there. He had nine wives and 56 children, one of which was Kelvin's dad.

Can you imagine their family reunions? He probably doesn't know all his cousins by name haha.

Hell, he probably doesn't even know all his siblings by name!

Agree that the PG position is critical. However, in regard to MTSU, Tyrik Dixon is their PG, and Potts is a two guard.
Hmmm, Lil Train...I could have sworn I watched Potts at the PG during parts of a game at least---perhaps when Dixon is out? Tyree Dixon did a good job last year, and adds to a formidable backcourt. In other words, don't count Middle Tennessee out...

I thought Dixon was ok as freshman at the point for MTSU. Potts very likely provided some spot duty minutes at the point, but Dixon ran the team. But I thought that the other MTSU guards, Edward Simpson and Antwain Johnson, also provided great depth, and starter level contributions; which should not be overlooked. All this makes them dangerous again this year as you mentioned.

The reason I mention this is that I think the UTEP staff will be looking for similar contributions from our experienced guards, to help make up for the two freshman point guards. As many have already mentioned, the point guard position stands out as one to keep a close eye on. With both Gilyard and Magee having been on campus for Summer 1, I am fairly certain the staff is starting to know where the team stands. Next month, we should all know even more.

I thought Dixon was ok as freshman at the point for MTSU. Potts very likely provided some spot duty minutes at the point, but Dixon ran the team. But I thought that the other MTSU guards, Edward Simpson and Antwain Johnson, also provided great depth, and starter level contributions; which should not be overlooked. All this makes them dangerous again this year as you mentioned.

The reason I mention this is that I think the UTEP staff will be looking for similar contributions from our experienced guards, to help make up for the two freshman point guards. As many have already mentioned, the point guard position stands out as one to keep a close eye on. With both Gilyard and Magee having been on campus for Summer 1, I am fairly certain the staff is starting to know where the team stands. Next month, we should all know even more.
Tic, tic, tic, tic.
Counting the seconds.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT