ADVERTISEMENT

Frustration and Doubt has settled in

MinerDave

All Star
Dec 20, 2001
I have to ask. Did we overestimate the talent of our freshmen? No one expected a conference championship and even a winning record would have been an accomplishment. BUT...

• We lost to a Rice team that relied heavily on freshmen.
  • We are losing to bad CUSA teams (MTSU)
  • We have some terrible OOC loses.
If are young players were really that good shouldn't we be winning more and seeing improvement. Rice and MTSU should be automatic wins even for good young players.

Which leads to the question, are we certain the folks sitting out really that good? I had realistic expectations to this team and they are not even meeting them. Someone talk me off the ledge.

I pumped the brakes on a sweet 16 run and Terry to Texas after we lost to Norfolk St.

The honeymoon is officially over.

With all the results in we are now in last place. At this moment we would not qualify for the CUSA tournament.

As fans we have to realize that it takes time to rebuild from an Earthquake. Especially Football. In football we don't have the history and there's more pieces to the puzzle. The team was a D2 roster.

In Basketball, we will see the results sooner but still need patience. The results will come.

These coaches walked into a situation in which the fan base has abandoned the programs. The student body could care less. The ticket revenue stream has all but disappeared. The promotional department is without answers. And a fledgling local media.

With all these obstacles, our coaches are slowly making progress. In basketball there is a vision, a foundation, and light at the end of the tunnel. We saw a football team show glimpses of what things could look like. I believe they've miraculously won some recruiting battles. Its going to have to start with little victories. And these enormous rebuilding projects will eventually start to put things together and change this community.

I have to ask. Did we overestimate the talent of our freshmen? No one expected a conference championship and even a winning record would have been an accomplishment. BUT...

If are young players were really that good shouldn't we be winning more and seeing improvement. Rice and MTSU should be automatic wins even for good young players.

Which leads to the question, are we certain the folks sitting out really that good? I had realistic expectations to this team and they are not even meeting them. Someone talk me off the ledge.
I don't recall anyone predicting anything better than a .500 season; hoped for but not expected. We have some really bad losses; no doubt, but contrary to what you said, we didn't lose to Rice. When you only have seven scholarship players ( four freshmen, two sophs and one senior who has remained a major failure) how can you compete? In several games while we had fresh legs and few fouls we looked great in the first half then ran out of gas and players as they fouled out. Realistically, I feel that we're about where we should be.
With the experience these kids are gaining plus the talent, size and depth that's coming, I remain upbeat about the future.

Our freshman are plenty talented and I truly felt UTEP was the better team tonight. We just don't have the depth but I definitely think it'll improve next year. With years of Floyd and the constant turnover, we forgot what it's like to build a team. Don't worry so much; these players will be back next year and we will see improvement.

I'm furious with the game tonight, but I'm not at all dejected with UTEP's performance. I'm pissed at the refs. I'm a little upset at Terry, too; we win this game if he keeps his cool. But I understand perfectly why he lost his cool, so I can forgive him. But even Haskins took the T sometimes and it was often the right thing to do when the refs took over the game. But tonight he didn't need to do that and I hope he learns from it.

We need to be patient. Terry is using a depleted roster full of freshmen. This trial by fire will be a blessing in the end, next year these freshmen will be a year better and with the transfers coming in depth should not be an issue.

I think we’re still looking at an uphill climb in football. I am sure fans will not be happy if this team goes from 1 win to 3-4 wins but that may be their ceiling given the size of the rebuild.

We knew the football/basketball programs were in need of complete overhauls. Coaching was not the sole issue plaguing these teams, and that alone was never going to turn them around.

Last edited:
Reactions: Roy_Bigwood_05
Thought theydt get this one, but losing in on road is what Freshman do. It'll be hard pressed to get double digits. It's a process and that process will look a lot better next year. We all knew that going in, maybe just not how bad!

It was talent that kept it close and lack of depth that kept us from winning. I'm glad Terry is fired up for this team. If he wasn't, why should we be? He just needs to keep his focus. And we need to keep ours. Next year will erase the bad memories of this year.

What if next year isn’t next year?

Let’s take a look at WKU and Rick Stansbury. He has coached in 10 NCAA tournament and 15 NIT games. He has won close to 350 games and most of them were as a hc of an SEC team.

At WKU he has recruited two top 30 national classes that includes a couple of 5 star players and some 4 star players. This was supposed to be the season they breakout instead they are sitting at 9-9 with some questionable conference losses.

I’m done comforting myself saying wait until next year. I’m going back to my old motto. “Go into every game every Season expecting to lose.”

Let’s take a look at WKU and Rick Stansbury. He has coached in 10 NCAA tournament and 15 NIT games. He has won close to 350 games and most of them were as a hc of an SEC team.

At WKU he has recruited two top 30 national classes that includes a couple of 5 star players and some 4 star players. This was supposed to be the season they breakout instead they are sitting at 9-9 with some questionable conference losses.

I’m done comforting myself saying wait until next year. I’m going back to my old motto. “Go into every game every Season expecting to lose.”
Bummer!

Reactions: MineroFanatico
Sorry. All I’m trying to say is that we aren’t the only fan base with big expectations for next year. After the season WKU had last year and the recruiting class they pulled in the off-season they expected to be a serious contender for an at large. 3/4 of the way in and they’ll have to win four game in four days cuz it doesn’t look like they will even finish in the top four.

I rather be surprised with wins than disappointed with losses next year.

Losing breeds discontent in players and coaches, Terry let it get to him tonight. What we see on the court now is the makings of a good team, not a good team.

The Miners are not yet a good team. The emphasis should be not yet. With the talent that is supposed to hit the floor next year and the experience from this year they should be much better. If so, great; if not, then we complain.

I don’t think so. It all comes down to whether the players and fans trust Terry and our trajectory, or not.

I think difference is we have proven players coming in next year. Tarke, William's, and Boum are all young and double digit scorers at their last schools. That experience, and an extra year of growth will the difference next year. We'll have depth, and a lot more scoring options

Reactions: unihorn
We’re gonna be alright, we only had two scholarship players and Paul Thomas returning this was supposed to happen this year.

Big difference is the Calvary is already here going to class and practicing, I like the way Hawkins has played lately, I like our four freshman, Odigie, Lathon, Hawkins, Ezagu, I trust terry he says the right things and his teams play hard.

We’re gonna be alright, we only had two scholarship players and Paul Thomas returning this was supposed to happen this year.

Big difference is the Calvary is already here going to class and practicing, I like the way Hawkins has played lately, I like our four freshman, Odigie, Lathon, Hawkins, Ezagu, I trust terry he says the right things and his teams play hard.
In my opinion, the key to next year's team is the development of Lathon at the point. All the other spots could be filled by the experienced players who are currently sitting out (Boum, Tarke, and Williams), and Vila. Terry mentioned that Vila likely would have started for Fresno this year, and that team is pretty talented. Verhoeven is also going to play. We could potentially go ten deep next year without much of a drop off in play. There are obviously no guarantees, but you have to like the potential. This year, Lathon has shown some flashes of point guard leadership abilities, but we will need much more consistency next year. The other option could very well be another true freshman at the point.

Reactions: miner1liner
I believe most of us definitely over hyped the freshman at certain times. Whether when they first signed or when they performed well. Imo only lathon would have a chance at even starting at a better program from our recruits. I believe he has the highest ceiling. Odigie has done well but I think his numbers are over inflated because of Thomas underperforming and being the only big on floor the whole game. No doubt he'll have a productive career but I doubt he's the star some of us think he will become. Hawkins has shown flashes but lacks consistency, which is expected from a freshman. But I expect him to be a stellar player for his Miner career. Ezeagu is a coin toss for me at the moment. He was one of the freshman I was most excited about but has looked really stiff while out on the floor. I think he could be more productive with more time on the floor, alot of us have questioned this, but he isn't the player I thought coming in so far. I think they should feed him more alley oops but see him more as a defensive stud in the future unless he develops more post moves. The incoming guys have all shown what they can do at other programs and will be an immediate upgrade in many areas, especially Bryson Williams. But like any team, talent can only run so far without the proper coaching and team chemistry. So even though I keep my hopes high for next year's team I know that anything can happen and will expect the unexpected

I believe most of us definitely over hyped the freshman at certain times. Whether when they first signed or when they performed well. Imo only lathon would have a chance at even starting at a better program from our recruits. I believe he has the highest ceiling. Odigie has done well but I think his numbers are over inflated because of Thomas underperforming and being the only big on floor the whole game. No doubt he'll have a productive career but I doubt he's the star some of us think he will become. Hawkins has shown flashes but lacks consistency, which is expected from a freshman. But I expect him to be a stellar player for his Miner career. Ezeagu is a coin toss for me at the moment. He was one of the freshman I was most excited about but has looked really stiff while out on the floor. I think he could be more productive with more time on the floor, alot of us have questioned this, but he isn't the player I thought coming in so far. I think they should feed him more alley oops but see him more as a defensive stud in the future unless he develops more post moves. The incoming guys have all shown what they can do at other programs and will be an immediate upgrade in many areas, especially Bryson Williams. But like any team, talent can only run so far without the proper coaching and team chemistry. So even though I keep my hopes high for next year's team I know that anything can happen and will expect the unexpected

Disagree re: Efe. He’s a scorer.

In my opinion, the key to next year's team is the development of Lathon at the point. All the other spots could be filled by the experienced players who are currently sitting out (Boum, Tarke, and Williams), and Vila. Terry mentioned that Vila likely would have started for Fresno this year, and that team is pretty talented. Verhoeven is also going to play. We could potentially go ten deep next year without much of a drop off in play. There are obviously no guarantees, but you have to like the potential. This year, Lathon has shown some flashes of point guard leadership abilities, but we will need much more consistency next year. The other option could very well be another true freshman at the point.
I was looking at Fresno St’s stats earlier and they would have a really strong team with Issac, Efe, and Williams playing. They would be challenging Nevada for the MW crown.

Reactions: Lil_Train
Disagree re: Efe. He’s a scorer.

yep. not sure he/she has watched much of Efe. He's a freshman who draws a lot of attention, and still manages to score at an efficient rate. That's not coincidence or entirely circumstantial.

There's tons of talented freshman, who in the same situation, would be lucky to get half of his numbers. Kid just knows how to score

I think difference is we have proven players coming in next year. Tarke, William's, and Boum are all young and double digit scorers at their last schools. That experience, and an extra year of growth will the difference next year. We'll have depth, and a lot more scoring options
I agree totally. We're not excited because we have more freshman coming in next year, but because we have proven players at this level. With the development of the freshman here and Gilyard being a JR. Next year should be a vast improvement.

Reactions: MINER.JAY
You can focus on wins and loses but with this team this is going to lead to a lot of frustration. Focus on how hard they play the way they stay in even after they are down, on how much effort they play with. In Gillispes first year, he had almost nothing player wise, we lost big most nights, but Omar Duran et al ran, ran, hustled and gave everything each night. As a fan I could see it in each game. I knew the next year was going to be much better when we got more players and talent on the court. It happened. This Miner team shows a lot like that first Gillispe team, albeit with more on the court talent and more waiting on the bench. They play hard, hustle and appear to be doing this each night, even though realistically this team isn't playing for much.

Best group of pure freshman (numbers wise) I have ever seen at UTEP. UTEP has brought in solid freshman (Hardaway, Hunter, Gillispie, etc) but not this many within one year that I can remember. They are making solid progress every game and taking on senior laden, plenty on the bench teams (UAB game is a great example). They're here and doing good.
giphy.gif

Reactions: FeralFelidae
Best group of pure freshman (numbers wise) I have ever seen at UTEP. UTEP has brought in solid freshman (Hardaway, Hunter, Gillispie, etc) but not this many within one year that I can remember. They are making solid progress every game and taking on senior laden, plenty on the bench teams (UAB game is a great example). They're here and doing good.
giphy.gif

If today's internet was prevalent during Tim Hardaway's freshman year he might have transferred. I don't think many predicted that a smallish unrecruited guard who averaged 4pts per game would go on to be an NBA first rounder and have an exceptional pro career.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT