ADVERTISEMENT

Future Opponent Boise State

The Broncos will be playing UCF tonight on ESPN. Good chance to see what we'll be up against next week. Have to see if there are any weaknesses we can exploit.
I'm not sure Dimel knows how to 'exploit'. Our offense will be the same. The players just have to execute it as well as they can.

Our defense won't be able to stand up to Boise St. the whole game.

Reactions: TxRdKiller
I'm not sure Dimel knows how to 'exploit'. Our offense will be the same. The players just have to execute it as well as they can.

Our defense won't be able to stand up to Boise St. the whole game.
If UTEP wins the turnover battle and cuts down on unforced penalties, then maybe they'll have a chance.

I think UTEP's secondary is a weak point, so I expect a PI penalty or two, and those aren't necessarily "bad" penalties if they save a touchdown. But please, no personal fouls or false starts.

If UTEP wins the turnover battle and cuts down on unforced penalties, then maybe they'll have a chance.

I think UTEP's secondary is a weak point, so I expect a PI penalty or two, and those aren't necessarily "bad" penalties if they save a touchdown. But please, no personal fouls or false starts.
Good luck with that. We had 140 yds in penalties against a horrible team.

Also our '2 way' 🙄 guy #13 seems to be the guy to beat on defense. Maybe the coaches should teach him how to turn his head on deep balls (since he is so speedy) before they worry about him catching balls.

Good luck with that. We had 140 yds in penalties against a horrible team.

Also our '2 way' 🙄 guy #13 seems to be the guy to beat on defense. Maybe the coaches should teach him how to turn his head on deep balls (since he is so speedy) before they worry about him catching balls.
It was also the first game of the season following a shortened pandemic season.

Now, past experience would suggest that this is just a feature of Dimel's teams and not to expect significant improvement in game 2. But given the circumstances, it is at least plausible that there were some kinks to work out in game 1.

I choose to hold out hope that these penalties were game 1 kinks and that Dimel got on their case this week in practice and that we'll see some improvement in game 2. Maybe he made them run some laps.

Life is better for me to hold out hope while I can instead of choosing to throw it away prematurely.

It was also the first game of the season following a shortened pandemic season.

Now, past experience would suggest that this is just a feature of Dimel's teams and not to expect significant improvement in game 2. But given the circumstances, it is at least plausible that there were some kinks to work out in game 1.

I choose to hold out hope that these penalties were game 1 kinks and that Dimel got on their case this week in practice and that we'll see some improvement in game 2. Maybe he made them run some laps.

Life is better for me to hold out hope while I can instead of choosing to throw it away prematurely.
Yes I hear you. Hard to stay positive with a lot of simple mistakes though (for guys of this caliber). We were 115th in the nation last year at more than 8 penalties per game.

Watching the game and BSU looks solid on both offense and defense. They have a great passing and running game. Their QB Bachmeir and WR Shakir are very good. BSU up 21-7in 2nd qt. with 11:23 left before halftime. Let’s see if UCF can get some things done. Lot’s of time left.

Reactions: SAMINERGIRL
That was an entertaining game. Bachmeier blew it with a late pick.

Last edited:
Caught the last part. QB for Boise St. made a real bad throw for the int late. They'll have 9 days off, spitting mad and playing first home game. We may be in for a whooping, but hopefully we can keep it somewhat close.

Reactions: unihorn
Caught the last part. QB for Boise St. made a real bad throw for the int late. They'll have 9 days off, spitting mad and playing first home game. We may be in for a whooping, but hopefully we can keep it somewhat close.
Game is on Friday. They have “7 days off” between now and then.

Game is on Friday. They have “7 days off” between now and then.
My bad, either way they have more days rest than us plus we have to travel to them. Dimel needs to get up as much as possible by the 3rd quarter and get these players some rest. I don't expect a win, but in year 4 this team has no excuses not to be competitive. With that being sad, my early prediction would be Boise 41 UTEP 24

My bad, either way they have more days rest than us plus we have to travel to them. Dimel needs to get up as much as possible by the 3rd quarter and get these players some rest. I don't expect a win, but in year 4 this team has no excuses not to be competitive. With that being sad, my early prediction would be Boise 41 UTEP 24

I won't dare make a prediction on next week's game until after *this* week's game. Bad juju.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
I dont think we score a TD against Boise unless we get a turnover inside the 20. They will just stack the box and blitz. Our short passing game is no good due to poor accuracy from Hardison and I don't think we've ever seen a screen play?
Our D might hang in for a while, but they will get worn down because our offense won't sustain drives.

I was not impressed with Boise at all. UCF started slow and then dominated. Two UCF turnover kept Boise in it. UCF out gained Boise by 300 yards. Boise has trouble stopping the run. We should be able to run on them. Not a vintage Boise team. Of course it's a little unfair Boise is always judged against thier 11 and 12 wins teams of the recent past. They are still good but probably 7-5 this year. If I had to make a very early prediction 38-27 Boise. Alot will will depend on what UTEP does tommorow. I'm very concerned about BCU. They make in all probability better tan NMSU. If we sleep walk through this game it will be an embarrassing loss. This feels like the Stoney Brook game from 2012. We needed an intervention in the endzone in overtime to win.

BC is making me very nervous too . They run a fast paced and wide open offense that will prey on the achilles heel of the UTEP defense, its secondary. UTEP better be ready to play.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
My bad, either way they have more days rest than us plus we have to travel to them. Dimel needs to get up as much as possible by the 3rd quarter and get these players some rest. I don't expect a win, but in year 4 this team has no excuses not to be competitive.

I dont think we score a TD against Boise unless we get a turnover inside the 20. They will just stack the box and blitz. Our short passing game is no good due to poor accuracy from Hardison and I don't think we've ever seen a screen play?
Our D might hang in for a while, but they will get worn down because our offense won't sustain drives.
Don't agree based at least what I saw last night of their defense albeit against a better opponent. I think we score min of 13. Wasn't overly impressed with Boise, but they are clearly better than us.

Reactions: axingfools1
Don't agree based at least what I saw last night of their defense albeit against a better opponent. I think we score min of 13. Wasn't overly impressed with Boise, but they are clearly better than us.
I don't agree with AxingFool either.

There was definitely a screen play. In fact, I even made a post about it on the game thread.

Nice screen!

It was a third and very long, IIRC, but it was a perfectly executed, textbook screen and picked up a big chunk of yards (but fell a little short of the first down). It was after a penalty and a wasted no-gain down with Brownholtz put us at 3rd and 16, and the screen picked up 11. We ended up kicking a field goal on 4th down.

I don't know if Dimel, in his brilliance, will pull it out at the right time to punish Boise's blitzes, but at least it's on film and it will give Boise something to think about.

Reactions: axingfools1
This is BCU’s fist game and they will be looking for the upset. I believe they will be better than the aggies. The Miners can’t take them lightly, or else, we may end up losing to an FCS school like Tulsa did. The Miners have to get off to a good start on offense and play smart on defense. We have to apply pressure to their QB and disrupt their offense. We also have to eliminate the dumb penalties or at least reduce them. We can’t allow BCU to hang around, since we’ve seen Dimel’s teams fade away late in the game. Since BCU runs a fast pace offense, this may either expose our defense or help us prepare for BSU.

I was not impressed with Boise at all. UCF started slow and then dominated. Two UCF turnover kept Boise in it. UCF out gained Boise by 300 yards. Boise has trouble stopping the run. We should be able to run on them. Not a vintage Boise team. Of course it's a little unfair Boise is always judged against thier 11 and 12 wins teams of the recent past. They are still good but probably 7-5 this year. If I had to make a very early prediction 38-27 Boise. Alot will will depend on what UTEP does tommorow. I'm very concerned about BCU. They make in all probability better tan NMSU. If we sleep walk through this game it will be an embarrassing loss. This feels like the Stoney Brook game from 2012. We needed an intervention in the endzone in overtime to win.
That SB team had a rb, Miguel Maysonet, who was as speedster and no flash in the pan but a stud rb and had a brief stint in the NFL and named to the Big South All Decade Team. Man he slashed and gashed our D. Price kept the eggs off his face for that one.

Reactions: utep-piggy
It's hard to say how we'll do against Boise St until after Saturday. Even then, we still won't have a good idea of how we'll look unless we exterminate BCU.

Not be negative, but I'm expecting another battle against an FCS team like the ones we had last year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT