ADVERTISEMENT

Game at UTSA

MinerManiac

MI Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jun 28, 2001
Do any of you listening to Teich or watching the game know why Lathon isn't playing?

We were absolutely awful to start this game, and still aren't playing well. Efe needs to learn how to pass out of a double/triple team. Our two smallest players, Gilyard and Magee, are the only Miners with a pulse offensively. Our D has sucked.

Do any of you listening to Teich or watching the game know why Lathon isn't playing?

We were absolutely awful to start this game, and still aren't playing well. Efe needs to learn how to pass out of a double/triple team. Our two smallest players, Gilyard and Magee, are the only Miners with a pulse offensively. Our D has sucked.

Ditto. This has been pure suck so far!

Paul Thomas now thinks he s Steph Curry. Lathon must have violated some rule. Terry must not have forseeb the Odigie triple team. I’m not impressed.

No...it was stated at the beginning of the espn telecast. They said it was a game time decision and didn't expect him to play tonight.

Nah, they’re going to finish...wait, what did you predict? Oh yeah, you don’t put yourself out there cuz you’re a pussy whiner. You only rag on “your” team because you’re a true Miner fan. Yeah right.

I said in the Marquette thread “This team ****ing sucks”. They will finish anywhere from 9th to 14th place. They don’t have any depth and are playing walk-ons. Like tonight, one significant injury will do them in.

A team with no fans, playing in a high school gym is kicking their ass. This team isn’t good and anyone who expects them to win conference games, doesn’t know anything.

Reactions: John 100
i think they will finish higher than 9th..... and dont worry minermaniac.... this is what a freshman team does... one good one bad... so hopefully they will look totally different at home...plus you have to look at this year and see the positive

odigie
hawkins
lathon
gilyard

all look pretty impressive.... and is a great starting/building point for the program.. cant wait to see our transfers suit up with this group..

Just wait until Saturday! The “wildly successful” Noche Latino promotion is in full effect and will draw an alleged 4K to the Don. Many Power teams are “afraid” to play there!

exactly!!! thats why they dont come obviously....

I said in the Marquette thread “This team ****ing sucks”. They will finish anywhere from 9th to 14th place. They don’t have any depth and are playing walk-ons. Like tonight, one significant injury will do them in.

A team with no fans, playing in a high school gym is kicking their ass. This team isn’t good and anyone who expects them to win conference games, doesn’t know anything.
Funny how you remember some things and others you don't...

Are you saying they won't win any conference games? I will take that bet.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
I know this is a rebuilding season, but I don’t get playing only 7 players. What’s the point in that?
I'm with you there Oso. Of all of Terry's walk-ons that he had such nice things to say about I think he has only played Campbell and Dekonic(sp?). Just checked the website and saw that apparently a couple of those guys I was thinking about have flown the coup no doubt because of no PT. Think their names were Sullivan and Jakobe Dill. Both of them plus another named Averritt averaged over 20ppg. Must have had some degree of talent. Just wasted away on the bench. And then there's our local kid Isaiah Ryeanes?

make no mistake-- terry knows who he wants playing next year, and right now he is putting those guys through the ringer.

The additions of Tarke, Boum, Williams, and potentially Stroud next season won't mean much if our talented freshman aren't ready to pull their weight.

Next season, we'll have a pretty full roster of "experienced" players.

Again, if you expected anything less than an inconsistent season given the circumstances.... then... well.... your expectations were probably a bit misguided...

I'm with you there Oso. Of all of Terry's walk-ons that he had such nice things to say about I think he has only played Campbell and Dekonic(sp?). Just checked the website and saw that apparently a couple of those guys I was thinking about have flown the coup no doubt because of no PT. Think their names were Sullivan and Jakobe Dill. Both of them plus another named Averritt averaged over 20ppg. Must have had some degree of talent. Just wasted away on the bench. And then there's our local kid Isaiah Ryeanes?
These guys are walkons for a reason. If Terry felt any of them could help the team, he would play them. Campbell plays with a ton of heart, but him playing major minutes is an indication of a very limited roster.

mcgee has a pretty good shot I really wish he would be more aggressive offensively... i think that could help open things up for the team....

Reactions: MINER.JAY
I like what Terry is doing overall. I also really like Efe and Hawkins. But I also tried to pump the brakes on this board a little earlier this season and I said that I thought our basketball season would go kinda like our football season. We’ll see, but I think that the goal for the rest of this year is simply: improvement, player development, and trying to identify who will be staying/going.

On a side note: Has anybody else heard Kappy go on the Buzz Adams morning show during the final hour MULTIPLE TIMES this season when he has said “there is no excuse for this team to not make the NCAA tourney next year.” He literally said “No Excuse” on at least two different occasions. We are currently a 5 win team and I doubt that Kappy has ever actually watched an entire full game that Boum, Verhoven, or Tarke have ever played in. He posssibly hasn’t even seen Williams play a full game either, yet he is out there saying that there is “No Excuse” for our current 5 win team, with a bunch of unknown mid-major transfers, with no projected Seniors on the entire roster next year, to not make the NCAA tournament next year from a one bid league?

On a side note: Has anybody else heard Kappy go on the Buzz Adams morning show during the final hour MULTIPLE TIMES this season when he has said “there is no excuse for this team to not make the NCAA tourney next year.” He literally said “No Excuse” on at least two different occasions. We are currently a 5 win team and I doubt that Kappy has ever actually watched an entire full game that Boum, Verhoven, or Tarke have ever played in. He posssibly hasn’t even seen Williams play a full game either, yet he is out there saying that there is “No Excuse” for our current 5 win team, with a bunch of unknown mid-major transfers, with no projected Seniors on the entire roster next year, to not make the NCAA tournament next year from a one bid league?

This is why Kappy is a joke. I haven't listened to his show in years because his show is awful.

Last edited:
Overall, I like Kappy, but my biggest issue with Kappy, is that he is the 20 year local sports talk show host, yet he very rarely provides any unique UTEP insight on his own. He appears(and at times has essentially stated) that he has no inside information with UTEP. That is not what you expect from a 20 year host of the local sports talk show.

By comparison, Alex Nicholas could do just one interview on either sportstalk or crunchtime and yet Alex would provide more original/unique UTEP insight in just that one interview than Kappy will provide on his own over the course of an entire year.

This past season Bloomquist would go on Kappy’s show during Friday’s and that was good, but if it wasn’t during that 20 minutes that Bloomquist was talking, then I don’t think that I ever learned one new unique thing about UTEP football from listening to Kappy during the entire rest of the week. That would just be my suggestion for improvement.....and of course tone it down with the “no excuse” talk.

Last edited:
Reactions: topminer
These guys are walkons for a reason. If Terry felt any of them could help the team, he would play them. Campbell plays with a ton of heart, but him playing major minutes is an indication of a very limited roster.
Lil...I realize they're walk-ons and for a reason. I also realize that they were "invited
walk-ons" and probably expected they would be seeing a little action due to the shorthanded situation and thus they accepted the invites. Why else would they travel and enroll at their own expense? Terry must have expected some kind of help and never got any; I'm guessing.
In the meantime, here we are...seven scholly players, one gets hurt, one fouls out in 24 minutes with zero points, two others have four fouls each and the other two each have three.
Thank God we shot and made throws. Let's hope Lathon gets better quick and makes a difference Saturday.

I like what Terry is doing overall. I also really like Efe and Hawkins. But I also tried to pump the brakes on this board a little earlier this season and I said that I thought our basketball season would go kinda like our football season. We’ll see, but I think that the goal for the rest of this year is simply: improvement, player development, and trying to identify who will be staying/going.

It's because they aren't just some "unkown" mid-major transfers. Boum, Tarke, and Williams are potential game changers, each of whom have averaged double digit scoring at their respective schools.

That means we have at least 7 players (Boum, Williams, Tarke, Odigie, Gilyard, Lathon, and Hawkins) who can easily be expected to light up the stat sheet on any given night next season.

Those kinds of numbers from that many players is worthy of NCAA expectations for any team...

Last edited:
are potential game changers

The key word is POTENTIAL. Nobody knows if those players will contribute anything here. It's also possible that they may never ever play at UTEP.

It's foolish to say that there is no excuse for UTEP to not make the NCAA Tournament next year.

Wow Paul Thomas whats up bro?

Biggest consistent no-show in a senior year since Issac Hamilton’s freshman year.

Terrible line for a Senior in a conference opener, certainly the most disappointing thing when reviewing the box score.

We played seven guys, 5 guys played 29 minutes or more. Three of those players produced actual points and rebounds. Magee is softer than a Montana Hideaway tity in your face @ 3 am and is extremely inconsistent when it comes to decision making and shot confidence. He’s another huge disappointment imo, Terry needs him to start being a factor or this season will get uglier.

We’re gonna live and die by the seven man rotation all the way to Frisco and hope and pray to the basketball gods guys produce something in the stat sheet because....we have to, that’s all we got, one game in and the lack of depth was exposed like a mf...Thanks Timothy Fitzpatrick Floyd. But I’ll be there Saturday in section N after eating a edible and hoping for a damn win.

Prediction: we lose every road game in conference play this year, think this team is gonna have trouble scoring on the road, bigly.

I also hate losing to the scum to the east called Texas-San Antonio in any NCAA sanctioned sporting event. Lisa Campos and Steve Henson owns are asses...drunk rambling over.

Reactions: UTEPDefense
Who said Sweet 16 Bruh? However anyone who follows Utep and isn't just some Troll sees that this team will be vastly improved next year.

I have seen it stated on here before. That's why I was being sarcastic.

I hope this team is improved next season! Otherwise, Senter and Terry should lose their jobs.

Remember when we use to buy UTSA as one of our ooc guarantees?

Now we’ve lost 6 out of the last 8 since 2015.

Reactions: UTEPy79
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT