ADVERTISEMENT

Golding introduction press conference thread

Joe Golding just told Kap, "I saw you wrote an article about Pick or Pass on head coaches and you passed on me Steve."
Been listening to Kap for two two decades. He calls like it is but is never disrespectful to coaches. Look, Golding is going to have some rough patches and he's going to be under a microscope he didn't experience at ACU. Like or hate CUSA, he'll be hitting that "east coast bias" with more frequency than just being in "in other scores around the country...". Kap always has an open door for UTEP. Just don't expect Kap to ignore an elephant in the room like Floyd and Terry did at times. Boiler plate answers don't help. Don't air team dirty laundry, just be honest which we think Golding is, an honest person.

Wow. Dude is wired. But after watching him speak he is wired. A couple of things I loved about what he said:

"Why is Joe Golding here? Look up at the rafters, this place has history, this place has tradition, this place knows how to win and it's ready to win."

Ok, so that really just one thing he said. There were several other things he said that really resonated with me but, meh, I had too many garbage can beers with my neighbor. Let's just say I am VERY impressed with Coach Golding and his too much caffeine personality. Kinda love the guy already.

Still have to see what transpires on the court though...

Wow. Dude is wired. But after watching him speak he is wired. A couple of things I loved about what he said:

"Why is Joe Golding here? Look up at the rafters, this place has history, this place has tradition, this place knows how to win and it's ready to win."

Ok, so that really just one thing he said. There were several other things he said that really resonated with me but, meh, I had too many garbage can beers with my neighbor. Let's just say I am VERY impressed with Coach Golding and his too much caffeine personality. Kinda love the guy already.

Still have to see what transpires on the court though...
I agree I love his energy and he is excited to be here. Very genuine and I can’t wait to see what he does at UTEP. Very cool of him to give attention to Jones sr and Daryl Edwards.

Reactions: TxRdKiller
When talking about recruiting, I do like that Golding mentioned recruiting a player first, then if we don't get them at first then we will "try to get them on the return." It seemed like he might have been referring to KJ Lewis on this and it basically shows an understanding of what it is going to take to recruit in this new era of college basketball, which is that you might lose the recruit to a bigger school out of high school, but there is now roughly a 50% chance that the same kid will be looking to transfer within the next two years.

I guess it just shows that Golding has more of an understanding and will possibly embrace how it works, more than say how a person like Tim Floyd used to constantly grumble about it, instead of adjusting to it.

When talking about recruiting, I do like that Golding mentioned recruiting a player first, then if we don't get them at first then we will "try to get them on the return." It seemed like he might have been referring to KJ Lewis on this and it basically shows an understanding of what it is going to take to recruit in this new era of college basketball, which is that you might lose the recruit to a bigger school out of high school, but there is now roughly a 50% chance that the same kid will be looking to transfer within the next two years.

I guess it just shows that Golding has more of an understanding and will possibly embrace how it works, more than say how a person like Tim Floyd used to constantly grumble about it, instead of adjusting to it.
I thought that was and interesting comment as well.

Reactions: kickballpro
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT