ADVERTISEMENT

Goldings scheduling

MinerInWisconsin

MI Miner Maniac
Nov 28, 2001
Coach Golding made a humorous remark to Senter yesterday about Kansas being on the schedule, kind of like, thanks a lot. I wonder what his scheduling of non conference games will be like. He basically inherits Kansas, NMSU twice, the Sun Carnival tourney 2 games so he will need to fill about 6 or 7 games. Maybe he can get UTEP into one of the exempt early season tournaments.

Anyway, looking at his last few schedules at ACU it is a mixture of a few non div 1 games, some mid majors and one or two high majors like Texas Tech. Pretty much how Terry scheduled.

Any thoughts on who he is likely to schedule this season?

Coach Golding made a humorous remark to Senter yesterday about Kansas being on the schedule, kind of like, thanks a lot. I wonder what his scheduling of non conference games will be like. He basically inherits Kansas, NMSU twice, the Sun Carnival tourney 2 games so he will need to fill about 6 or 7 games. Maybe he can get UTEP into one of the exempt early season tournaments.

Anyway, looking at his last few schedules at ACU it is a mixture of a few non div 1 games, some mid majors and one or two high majors like Texas Tech. Pretty much how Terry scheduled.

Any thoughts on who he is likely to schedule this season?
Get a top half A10 or MVC school. It looks good on paper and if you lose it's not a Sunday morning cotton mouth tequila hangover loss like losing to a Arkansas Pine Bluff.

Probably not too tough in the 1st season. Not sure though. He may want to jump into the fire

I'm hoping for a home and home with Texas or a 2 for 1 with the first game in Austin.

Personally I would love to see both New Mexico schools, a few power schools from PAC-12 and Big-12, another MW game and a travel tourny.

We are in a one bid league, only realistic way to get into the tourney is to win the conference one. Build a schedule that builds momentum, fan interest and makes us a tough out at home. Playing one offs at Kansas or Arizona and the like does nothing other than give us a loss, kill fan interest and momentum. Rather see us beat Texas State at home, than get homered to death at Kansas.

We are in a one bid league, only realistic way to get into the tourney is to win the conference one. Build a schedule that builds momentum, fan interest and makes us a tough out at home. Playing one offs at Kansas or Arizona and the like does nothing other than give us a loss, kill fan interest and momentum. Rather see us beat Texas State at home, than get homered to death at Kansas.
It builds money, and if you can win it helps build resume, recruiting and fan base.

Reactions: miner1liner
[Public & Private sector service employees] "We deserve a 2% to 3% cost of living raise every year. Covid or no Covid".

Accountants, CFO's, Board Members, Their law firm

hqdefault.jpg

I'm not saying it's wrong or right. It's not going to happen for basketball.

I don't think CUSA is a one bid league despite the recent history. A one bid league is one where a non-tourney winner has no realistic chance of getting in. CUSA at least has someone in the conversation until they invariably take a loss to a cellar dweller or two. It may be a narrow path, but it's not impossible with the right schedule and a couple of good wins to get an at large.

I don't think CUSA is a one bid league despite the recent history. A one bid league is one where a non-tourney winner has no realistic chance of getting in. CUSA at least has someone in the conversation until they invariably take a loss to a cellar dweller or two. It may be a narrow path, but it's not impossible with the right schedule and a couple of good wins to get an at large.
CUSA just isn’t a crap 1 bid league like the SWAC, NEC, MEAC, and Southland. CUSA needs to have a Memphis type dominating team to start getting multiple bids again.

Back to scheduling

Kansas and 2 NMSU games for sure. Idaho St was supposed to play here this season, so maybe they show up again.

UTEP should play in a multi team event since they weren’t going to last year.

Hope to see 1 or 0 games against Division 2 teams.

Maybe games versus Texas and ACU?

Honestly I don't get the stigma with everyone shitting on the C-USA and the NCAA selling them short every year. C-USA has been a 12th seed or worse and won 5 of the last 6 NCAA 1st round games. We've performed better than most 2 team leagues, MWC, A-10, Missouri Valley. Oh yeah and had they not scheduled them to play each other, we would've had 2 of the 4 final NIT teams. I think it's complete BS that C-USA is not a 2 bid league almost every year!

CUSA is an okay league. Too many teams, not enough non-conference wins. That’s the issue.
I'd like to break off like the Old WAC to MWC. Addition by subtraction. Introducing the new
S-USA (Southern USA)
Utep, N.Texas, UTSA, Rice, Middle Tennessee, La. Tech, Marshall, W. kentucky, S. Miss, UAB ten members. We don't make money on C-USA football championship game and it does nothing to better the winning teams bowl.
I think this league would have 2 NCAA teams yearly and 5 bowl tie ins.

I'd like to break off like the Old WAC to MWC. Addition by subtraction. Introducing the new
S-USA (Southern USA)
Utep, N.Texas, UTSA, Rice, Middle Tennessee, La. Tech, Marshall, W. kentucky, S. Miss, UAB ten members. We don't make money on C-USA football championship game and it does nothing to better the winning teams bowl.
Believe it or not the CUSA championship game boosts the bad TV deal. The AD'S would never agree to getting rid of the championship game. That would make it almost impossible to get to a new years 6 bowl game. That would be a non starter.

Believe it or not the CUSA championship game boosts the bad TV deal. The AD'S would never agree to getting rid of the championship game. That would make it almost impossible to get to a new years 6 bowl game. That would be a non starter.
Ok add the two from sun belt conference, perhaps Georgia Southern and Louisiana Rain Cajuns. Or one of those and keep ODU.

You can have a championship game with 10 members though. The SBC and Big 12 do it. That’s why both of those conferences did not expand to 12.

A conference cannot be formed by a breakaway. Any new conference would be ineligible for CFP money until the contract is over. CUSA’s only chance of having 10 members is having 4 of them leave.

Reactions: nattybry
S-USA (Southern USA)
If CUSA breaks up, it'll break up geographically. I doubt there's much chance we'd see UTEP and Marshall together in a new conference.

A good source recently said that Golding is thinking about entering an exempt tournament in St Petersburg (Florida not Russia) or some exempt games not in a tournament. The last normal season was 2019 and UTEP did not announce the schedule until July 30th.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
Seems like we always find out who our approaching season opponents are from other sites; not our own.
Apparently we are playing "away" games with New Mexico and Kansas.
???

Seems like we always find out who our approaching season opponents are from other sites; not our own.
Apparently we are playing "away" games with New Mexico and Kansas.
???
We never scheduled a home and home with Kansas. Both games were going to be on the road. Last season's game was in Lawrence. Next season will be in Kansas City.

I can't exactly remember, but I think we were originally scheduled to host New Mexico last season as part of our ongoing home and home series. Since last season got blown up due to the pandemic, that home game may be rescheduled on the back end of the current series. Same for NMSU in football. We should had hosted them in 2020. Now we'll end up playing in Las Cruces back to back (2019, 2021).

We never scheduled a home and home with Kansas. Both games were going to be on the road. Last season's game was in Lawrence. Next season will be in Kansas City.

I can't exactly remember, but I think we were originally scheduled to host New Mexico last season as part of our ongoing home and home series. Since last season got blown up due to the pandemic, that home game may be rescheduled on the back end of the current series. Same for NMSU in football. We should had hosted them in 2020. Now we'll end up playing in Las Cruces back to back (2019, 2021).
We couldn't schedule NMSU in football in 2020 since they didn't play

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT