ADVERTISEMENT

Greenlee it is

Metz was listed as the starter on the Monday depth chart. It was his job to lose. He must have completely imploded on Tuesday.

Kavika has been working with the receivers exclusively since last week. Hes still the third string qb but taking no snaps during the week at practice.

Well hot damn, one that has the tools for this level of football but doesn't want to start and one that shines at practice but under performs come game time.

OPT correction

La Tech 75
UTEP 10 (only because Jones will bust one long one)

Reactions: TrojanMiner
Well hot damn, one that has the tools for this level of football but doesn't want to start and one that shines at practice but under performs come game time.

OPT correction

La Tech 75

Lol, normally I would say you were off your ass for posting a score like that. But seeing this team the last 3 weeks, I can totally see that.

OPT correction

La Tech 75
Defense played well last week against a better S. Miss squad I think this prediction is Bat Shit Crazy, but if that score holds true then Kugler has to be fired immediately and even pay for his own flight home lol

Well, Metz does one thing Greenlee is reluctant to do...pull the trigger. He has to get rid of the football. Being "open" doesn't mean a 5 yard gap between receiver and defender.

Defense played well last week against a better S. Miss squad I think this prediction is Bat Shit Crazy, but if that score holds true then Kugler has to be fired immediately and even pay for his own flight home lol

Defense is not responsible for scoring points and have been put up against the wall by horrid play calling and poor qb play which result in many three and out's. But, the db's still struggle. Army tore apart our secondary...Army! They struggled with USM too. La Tech has to be salivating and are hungry for a win.

We need to admit that Kugler has failed. He'll go back to an excellent six figure salary in the NFL, and UTEP needs to get serious and with the times. The flying V formation was fun to watch, but enough is enough. Let's stop with "he turned things around last year with all the injuries" crapola. He caused most of the injuries with his live fire practices. So he basically blew a year! He refuses to develop a passing game. His answer to the news this weeks was telling them they need to get it Plinke more. Okay, coach, that's fine but what about the rest of the receiving corp and why is Greenlee struggling so much with his passing?!

Enough. He's a good person and solid character, but like Trump supporters, the bar has been placed low for Kugler because UTEP is so, so one dimensional and so now are expectations, again. For Pete sake, UTEP gets fourteen down and now that becomes a hole hard to dig out of because of the offense! Ugh!

I hate to say say it but it is getting tough hearing Kugler say, "Its my fault." every week. It was the same thing with Price those last couple of years. But all he would say was "Gee, I don't know what went wrong. I thought we had a good week of practice."

I'm not defending Kugker or the Team. I just don't think it'll be 75-10 lol I don't expect Utep to win or even stay too close, but I hope I'm wrong. Fact is Both Football and Basketball have me with not much hope right now. So maybe with our little to no expectations as Miner Fans, they'll actually surprise us.

Reactions: mikesarabia
I hear ya natt. However, La Tech is a "pass first" offense, who always seem to reload with good backs every two or three years. So, if this game gets ugly do you tell the offense not to pass anymore. No you don't but to a point. You want all the reserves a chance to touch the ball when opportunity arises. And now for three weeks, UTEP has afforded that opportunity to their opponents.

Let's not forget Kugler said the same thing last year about getting it more to other players hands, did he not?

UTEP play calling:

1st Down: Run
2nd Down: Run mostly, quick out or screen to Jones
3rd Down: (Usually 3rd and long) Some variation of a screen play to Juniel or Jones. Sometimes K. Johnson. If Johnson is in the play, the balls going to him for sure, and this always usually happens in the second half because the defense is just giving Jones the business and UTEP is down by two or three scoring drives.
4th Down: Punt

Special Teams? I thought Juniel was supposed to be the man? UTEP now uses White and he can't make up his mind and UTEP get pinned back deep rather than just taking it at the 25.

Defense: Jones is gone another week at lb so the middle is as open as a beer keg at a frat party (Kugler was really lamenting his loss badly. The db's don't turn around to play the ball or let their man get behind them for a dump pass that turns into a big play (what Army did to UTEP many times). USM receivers toyed with the UTEP db's at times. Then to add more salt to the wound, when the defense does show some consistency, UTEP qb's lead their offense to consecutive three and outs and defense gets plain ol' tuckered out by late in the 3rd quarter (and fans are hitting the social sites asking if Jones is hurt.....again?).

Natt, La Tech has some losses they should have won and will have their ears pinned back and they are at home.

Sometimes a true freshman is ready to play. I don't know if Mark Torrez is ready to play for UTEP or not but it is something to think about. Get some new, energetic kid out there and see what he can do.

Reactions: mikesarabia
utep2step, I hate you! You nailed it. That is exactly what I (and everyone around me at the games) are shouting to the coaches! I love Kugler and I appreciate that he fired the OC and is trying out our new one but WTF! This guy is worse!

I hear ya natt. However, La Tech is a "pass first" offense, who always seem to reload with good backs every two or three years. So, if this game gets ugly do you tell the offense not to pass anymore. No you don't but to a point. You want all the reserves a chance to touch the ball when opportunity arises. And now for three weeks, UTEP has afforded that opportunity to their opponents.

Let's not forget Kugler said the same thing last year about getting it more to other players hands, did he not?

UTEP play calling:

1st Down: Run
2nd Down: Run mostly, quick out or screen to Jones
3rd Down: (Usually 3rd and long) Some variation of a screen play to Juniel or Jones. Sometimes K. Johnson. If Johnson is in the play, the balls going to him for sure, and this always usually happens in the second half because the defense is just giving Jones the business and UTEP is down by two or three scoring drives.
4th Down: Punt

Special Teams? I thought Juniel was supposed to be the man? UTEP now uses White and he can't make up his mind and UTEP get pinned back deep rather than just taking it at the 25.

Defense: Jones is gone another week at lb so the middle is as open as a beer keg at a frat party (Kugler was really lamenting his loss badly. The db's don't turn around to play the ball or let their man get behind them for a dump pass that turns into a big play (what Army did to UTEP many times). USM receivers toyed with the UTEP db's at times. Then to add more salt to the wound, when the defense does show some consistency, UTEP qb's lead their offense to consecutive three and outs and defense gets plain ol' tuckered out by late in the 3rd quarter (and fans are hitting the social sites asking if Jones is hurt.....again?).

Natt, La Tech has some losses they should have won and will have their ears pinned back and they are at home.
Your UTEP play calling is almost spot on the only thing you forgot was that on first down Jones will get 2 yards and the line will get a 10 yard holding penalty. Second down and 20 will be draw play that gets 4 yards and Third down and 16 will be a passing play (bubble screen) that will gain 2 yards. Fourth and 14 Punt. Repeat.....

I agree it could get ugly if nothings changed in the play calling, decrease in penalties and turnovers, but I just think we are giving La Tech too much credit. They are ok this year, they are not Texas, so why do we think they'll beat us worse than Texas?

I agree it could get ugly if nothings changed in the play calling, decrease in penalties and turnovers, but I just think we are giving La Tech too much credit. They are ok this year, they are not Texas, so why do we think they'll beat us worse than Texas?

Yeah, but Army wasn't Texas, either...

And at the risk of pissing off the usual suspects, expecting a change in play calling is like waiting for Trump to start "acting presidential".

Last edited:
The defense is slowly but surely getting better. That Army game was absolute trash all around. They installed the 3-4 to defend spread offenses. So far they've done pretty well against the spread. The secondary is pretty good and getting better. If they can eliminate stupid penalties and do a better job of getting off the field on third down they will be real good before the end of the season. They've been playing without the best player on the team the last two weeks. Jones is back and that will help the defense even more.

The defense will keep UTEP. The question is can the offense do anything. Tech's front will shut down jones. To have any chance of winning they will have to establish a vertical passing game.

Yeah, but Army wasn't Texas, either...

And at the risk of pissing off the usual suspects, expecting a change in play calling is like waiting for Trump to start "acting presidential".

I can agree with that and with the same risk, one could say, expecting a change in play calling is like waiting for Hillary to be honest.

Reactions: UTEP05
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT