ADVERTISEMENT

Has our once illustrious program fallen so low...

We can try and match all we want but hungry coaches will constantly want to move up and challenge themselves at the next level.
Yes, probably a big reason why Golding is here. He won a game at ACU, not much else he was going to do there. If he’s successful he will probably leave, but we shouldn’t really worry about it.

That’s the only bad thing about Haskins. Fans here think paying a coach 80,000 a year will keep them here for life like it did Haskins. Not happening. Would have to be pure luck.

Reactions: JCorona
Yes, probably a big reason why Golding is here. He won a game at ACU, not much else he was going to do there. If he’s successful he will probably leave, but we shouldn’t really worry about it.

That’s the only bad thing about Haskins. Fans here think paying a coach 80,000 a year will keep them here for life like it did Haskins. Not happening. Would have to be pure luck.
Yep. And when let's say a Big 12 school comes calling even if we're able to match I highly doubt he stays.

Back to Billy for a minute. Texas A&M tried their best to keep him. Don himself told him.

"Stay at A&M and win forever, You found your spot."

Hungry coaches are never full.

We need to commit everything to basketball first. I was working for UTEP when Gillespie ran off to A&M, in an office next to Dr. Natalicio's. UTEP's counter was about 200k less than what A&M offered. I don't think Gillespie would have stayed even if we had matched, but with a basketball first mentality the football program could have spared the 200K to at least match the offer. I don't see Barbee or Doc staying had UTEP matched. Floyd was there to end his career and Terry wanted to be in the Longhorn's radar. I don't know much about Golding but if UTEP shows their commitment to him/his program, over football, then he might commit to us.
There is only 1 Don Haskins for a reason.

Reactions: MinerInVegas
Kansas and Duke are the pinnacle of dominating in basketball and not being very good at football. Win CUSA 5-7 times in a 10 year period, make a pair of sweet 16 runs and the MWC and AAC start looking our way. But that process had to have started five years ago.

Duke and Kansas are founding members of their conferences. Its not like Kansas was in the MAC in 2004.

I believe the WAC would take us now if UTEP were interested in making that move. However that would mean one of three things need to happen to the football program: demote to division 2 (unlikely), go independent (most likely), or eliminate (will never happen). Going to the WAC would be way better than staying in CUSA in my opinion.

Demote to division 2? Has a D1 FCS team ever gone down two levels?

Reactions: kickballpro
We've had some good boxing cards in the Sun City and none of them were close to a sell out. I would love to hear the jump in ratings 600 had cuz of him.

Reactions: axingfools1
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT