ADVERTISEMENT

Has our once illustrious program fallen so low...

Sad to say, but yes, our once illustrious program has fallen on hard times. Without a doubt. When was the last time we went to the NCAA Tournament? When was the last time we won a conference tournament/title? Since our appearance in the "Sweet 16" back in 1992 we have been fairly poor, with a season here or there that was notable.

Hopefully Golding will be able to build this bad boy back up to where it belongs.

Sad to say, but yes, our once illustrious program has fallen on hard times. Without a doubt. When was the last time we went to the NCAA Tournament? When was the last time we won a conference tournament/title? Since our appearance in the "Sweet 16" back in 1992 we have been fairly poor, with a season here or there that was notable.

Hopefully Golding will be able to build this bad boy back up to where it belongs.

What is your definition of “where it belongs”?

Reactions: MinerDave
Getting into the tournament on a regular basis. Competing for conference titles and winning conference titles. No the crap we've been served up for the last 20 years. And CERTAINLY not the mess that was CTF's tenure, or CRT's tenure.
Anyone expecting a NCAA appearance more than once every 4 or 5 years, isn’t being very realistic in my opinion.
UTEP should be in the top half of CUSA every year and top 4 more often than not.

Anyone expecting a NCAA appearance more than once every 4 or 5 years, isn’t being very realistic in my opinion.
UTEP should be in the top half of CUSA every year and top 4 more often than not.
We will have to agree to disagree. I didn't say sweet 16 every year. I realize we aren't Kentucky or what not. But every other year? CUSA isn't strong, and winning it shouldn't be that hard. Winning the CUSA tournament every other year or so isn't unrealistic.

Note what I said, "Competing for conference titles and winning conference titles." We aren't all that far apart in our expectation unless you want to split hairs.

We will have to agree to disagree. I didn't say sweet 16 every year. I realize we aren't Kentucky or what not. But every other year? CUSA isn't strong, and winning it shouldn't be that hard. Winning the CUSA tournament every other year or so isn't unrealistic.

Note what I said, "Competing for conference titles and winning conference titles." We aren't all that far apart in our expectation unless you want to split hairs.
UTEP has only been to the title game twice in 16 years and haven’t won a CUSA tournament. So it’s very unrealistic to “expect” one every other year or so.

Reactions: TxRdKiller
Getting into the tournament on a regular basis. Competing for conference titles and winning conference titles. No the crap we've been served up for the last 20 years. And CERTAINLY not the mess that was CTF's tenure, or CRT's tenure.
I love your passion and I don’t mind having higher expectations but UTEP hasn’t been a consistent NCAA Tournament contender in almost 35 years. I’m willing to start small and say let’s compete in conference and get any post season play, then we can build from there.

Reactions: NoNCAAWinsSince1992
Cusa is tougher than it looks. Who would you say is the most consistent NCAA team we have?

I love your passion and I don’t mind having higher expectations but UTEP hasn’t been a consistent NCAA Tournament contender in almost 35 years. I’m willing to start small and say let’s compete in conference and get any post season play, then we can build from there.

To your point that we haven't been a contender in some time. Why would you think that is? I say it's because we are in a conference that few give a fvck about. Get us back into a western based conference and not only will the fans return, they will be the reason we are even relevant.

To your point that we haven't been a contender in some time. Why would you think that is? I say it's because we are in a conference that few give a fvck about. Get us back into a western based conference and not only will the fans return, they will be the reason we are even relevant.
People gave a F when MTSU had their nice run a few years ago. People gave a F when WKU stunned a very good Wisconsin team on their home court two years ago. This isn't a game of horse shoes. UTEP didn't get noticed for leading Kansas most of the game, Kansas got "Attaboy's" for clawing back and finding a way to win the game.

Golding needs to get UTEP to know how to knock them out when the opportunity presents itself. He's shown he is such a person at the helm when it happens.

How do UTEP fans make us relevant? It's increased media exposure that makes us relevant again. We can have 12,222 fans every game and it won't matter if we don't get coverage. We're not getting into the PAC-12...and the MWC is longshot at thia point. What other western-based conference is going to get us the exposure we need to become relevant again?

How do UTEP fans make us relevant? It's increased media exposure that makes us relevant again. We can have 12,222 fans every game and it won't matter if we don't get coverage. We're not getting into the PAC-12...and the MWC is longshot at thia point. What other western-based conference is going to get us the exposure we need to become relevant again?

Is there another Western based conference?

Capacity is 11,892. It’s impossible to get 12,222 fans for a game :)

Reactions: kickballpro

I dunno, Jeebs. No conference wants us. West, east, doesn't matter. But realignment is at hand. We need to be in the west. Wherever/whatever that is. Playing against ODWho and WKWho and FIWho gets us nowhere.

How does the fanbase impact this? Butts in the seats is ticket sales which brings noise and excitement which brings a "sixth-man"/"home court" advantage which opposing teams remember and don't want to face which brings TV for the home-court fan base excitement which -- wait did this just kinda circle around and feed on itself? Oh, I think that's what this is all about...

I don’t know if our conference is holding us back because we have yet to have a sustained run of success in any sport since the 80s in basketball to say our conference is holding us back. If anything UTEP been dragging their conference down fielding consistently bad teams in both basketball and football. In the last 30 plus years The Miners have given fans more misery than we could have ever asked for and it’s hard to build a loyal and dedicated fan base when your football team is consistently amongst the worst in the nation and your basketball program can’t even get into the CBI.

Not to sound corny but today we all have hope and a sense of optimism for what the future holds for UTEP basketball, and you see what that brings with it. Posters are coming back from the dead, people are buying season tickets, and everything is good. Amongst the die hards this is something UTEP hasn’t experienced in ages and if Golding can turn it around and make a winner you can bet we’re going to sell out and fans will come back in droves.

See that’s where I disagree cusa is strong at the top awful at the bottom.... top4-5 would be good almost anywhere —- it’s not so easy, look at the ncaa tournament for proof... what is cusa in its last 8 first round games against much higher seeds ? Like 7-1?

Reactions: MineroFanatico
If we're winning the fans will show up in droves to see the ODWho and WKWho and FIWho. Simple as that.
Pretty much. A 19-3 UTEP team could get a 8,000 + crowd on a Saturday versus most teams. Not Pine Bluff or Northern New Mexico and with normal weather.

Pretty much. A 19-3 UTEP team could get a 8,000 + crowd on a Saturday versus most teams. Not Pine Bluff or Northern New Mexico and with normal weather.
Exactly. We had 11k for FAU&FIU during TF's "good years." We were 18-7 at that point. A 19-3 team would sell out. It's not the conference that's keeping the fans away it's the results against those teams.

Exactly. We had 11k for FAU&FIU during TF's "good years." We were 18-7 at that point. A 19-3 team would sell out. It's not the conference that's keeping the fans away it's the results against those teams.
The conference has a little to do with it. I believe a Wednesday night game vs Colorado St or Fresno would draw better than MTSU or WKU. Assuming same records.

Reactions: HookemMiners
The conference has a little to do with it. I believe a Wednesday night game vs Colorado St or Fresno would draw better than MTSU or WKU. Assuming same records.
What about a Wednesday game against Utah Valley or California Baptist cuz that's the only western conference we're getting into right now.

What about a Wednesday game against Utah Valley or California Baptist cuz that's the only western conference we're getting into right now.
MWC games would draw slightly better than most CUSA games. CUSA games would draw minimally better than some WAC games

Reactions: JCorona
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT