ADVERTISEMENT

Headed for the Stretch...(thoughts)

allminer

MI Hall of Famer
Feb 12, 2005
Whereas this time last year, the Miners were just beginning to show signs of wear and tear before finally collapsing...this team appears to be putting it together at just the right time. Every year there seems to be a team or two that goes on a tear that carries them through the tournament. Could this be the Miner's year to be one of those teams?

Anyone notice Lew Stallworth's minutes have slowly been increasing? Not only that, but last night his minutes included important stretches of the game, not just the final minutes of the half that he had been getting. This will be huge come conference tournament time when its 3 games in 3 days. Go Lew!

Someone noted earlier that Hunter doesn't seem right physically. During these two games I saw him reach down and hold his leg/knee on multiple occasions during time outs and breaks in the game. However, I do not think its affecting his game all that much. He was smothered last night, especially early in the game every time he touched the ball, which led to some fustration and I think that is what caused him to turn the ball over 5 times. He still had 9 big rebounds and although he only scored 7, I agree with coach Floyd and Johnson, he had what was probably his best defensive effort of the year last night. Hopefully a week between games will be what the doctor ordered for whatever is ailing Vince.

I noticed Matt is still wearing a boot. Also noticed he still seems to be walking a bit gingerly on the leg, though I caught him doing a few pivots on it during time outs on Thursday and last night. Hooper has held the fort as best as we can hope for, in my opinion. In other words, yes of course Matt's is presence is missed, but no, it has not been disastrous and cost the team. Still, hope that leg heals. We need Matt back, hopefully by the 26th, if not by tourney time.

I can't add anything about Lang, Cooper and Washburn that hasn't been discussed already. I will say that as a veteran of many a conference season, the near meltdown that occured after the WKU and Marshall road trip was pretty comical. It was early. We had just completed a 5 of 7 game road stretch with several of the conference players having yet to see the road. What has transpired since is not surprising, just part of the fun of sports.

Gary Wilson was a real treat, also surprised no one has mentioned the bevy of former Miners in the house this week, Soup Campbell (fine rendition of the Anthem), Malcolm Moore and Bo! By the way, Bo was into the game big time last night! He was probably Lang's biggest cheerleader on the sidelines and almost ran out into the floor a few times after Ced's rebounds and scores.

This post was edited on 2/15 2:29 PM by allminer

I've noticed a lot of the misses are to the side of the rim. When I played intramural basketball way way back in the day, my free throw shooting sucked. One of the intramural coaches gave me this tip. Aim for the back part of the front of the rim. My free throw shooting improved big time. For what its worth.

What frustrates me is (and I know it's not the same) but I haven't touched a basketball in five years and after warming up for 10 minutes inside a gym I shot some free throws and made 20 out 22.... 5 years of not touching a ball....free throws are all about repetition and putting the extra time in and that's irritating as hell to me....easiest part of the game and it just seems the players aren't taking the extra time to work on it....

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT