ADVERTISEMENT

Here’s what UTEP MBB will face in Austin vs. Texas

Let's hope our newly assembled squad can be competitive enough to make it close.
Is there any alternative to The Longhorn network to watch the game? I can't justify paying whatever the fee might be to watch one game.
Go to the game?

Beard’s squads can be frustrating on offense, but this Texas backcourt looks really good.

Last edited:
Let's hope our newly assembled squad can be competitive enough to make it close.
Is there any alternative to The Longhorn network to watch the game? I can't justify paying whatever the fee might be to watch one game.
Go to a sports bar or go to Walmart and ask them to put it on the game.

LHN should be included with your cable or satellite package.

Reactions: utep2step
Preview seems to diminish RICE ex NMSU player, wonder if he gets much PT?
Playing time will be tough to get. I think Rice will have to steal minutes from junk yard dog Brock Cunningham, who is pretty limited in terms of offense. This is from a August practice report re: Rice:

The most talked about transfer has been SirJabari Rice, the guard transfer from New Mexico State. They say his shooting has been solid and that he plays really tough defense, which of course is the hallmark of any Chris Beard player. From my understanding, he’s becoming a leader already, and is making his name known to the team and Coach Beard.

Reactions: Lil_Train
Nuggets from Saturday’s scrimmage between Texas and Houston:

"The first 20-minute period UH-UT played was a close defensive battle. Houston got rolling more offensively in the second 20-minute period but their biggest problem was committing a lot of fouls. Houston was ahead after the two 20-minute periods by roughly 10. I was told Texas looked pretty good. Both teams also played a 10-minute period for the underclassmen and walk ons that UT won."

Players that stood out for UT:
Tyrese Hunter
SirJabari Rice

Standouts for UH:
Marcus Sasser
Jarace Walker (five-star freshman)
Tramon Mark
Jamal Shead (first half was great for him)

Also told that Houston didn't dominate inside, possibly quelling fears about lacking a big man on the block. Overall, solid showing against a top-3 team.

Nuggets from Saturday’s scrimmage between Texas and Houston:

"The first 20-minute period UH-UT played was a close defensive battle. Houston got rolling more offensively in the second 20-minute period but their biggest problem was committing a lot of fouls. Houston was ahead after the two 20-minute periods by roughly 10. I was told Texas looked pretty good. Both teams also played a 10-minute period for the underclassmen and walk ons that UT won."

Players that stood out for UT:
Tyrese Hunter
SirJabari Rice

Standouts for UH:
Marcus Sasser
Jarace Walker (five-star freshman)
Tramon Mark
Jamal Shead (first half was great for him)

Also told that Houston didn't dominate inside, possibly quelling fears about lacking a big man on the block. Overall, solid showing against a top-3 team.
Houston lacks a dominant presence inside. If they have one, the interior will be their Achilles heel. No one that will get significant pt goes over 6’9”.

Houston lacks a dominant presence inside. If they have one, the interior will be their Achilles heel. No one that will get significant pt goes over 6’9”.
Yeah, I would’ve expected Texas to dominate inside. Not surprised Beard’s squad is scoring challenged (again).

Reactions: MineroFanatico
Yeah, I would’ve expected Texas to dominate inside. Not surprised Beard’s squad is scoring challenged (again).
I think I saw that UT really only has one big (Disu at 6'9"), as well. I don't follow UT too closely. So, I figured this would be more battle of the perimeter players; both of which UH and UT are very talented and deep.

I think I saw that UT really only has one big (Disu at 6'9"), as well. I don't follow UT too closely. So, I figured this would be more battle of the perimeter players; both of which UH and UT are very talented and deep.
Forwards Mitchell and Bishop are 6-7/6-8 and very athletic.

Timmy Allen 6-6 is a scorer.

Brock Cunningham 6-6 is a pain in the ass rebounder and ball hawk, but not much of a scoring threat.

6-9 Disu was gimpy most of last year. Texas really needs him to bring it this season.

But yes, UT’s guards should be very good this season.

Beard of course is a grinder on defense.

Last edited:
"As for the scrimmage with Tarleton State, a source told me that it was a hard-fought defensive battle that was extremely physical and almost resembled a football game. Both teams played extremely hard, which is not surprising considering the coaching philosophies of Joe Golding and Billy Gillispie. Since defense was a strong point for UTEP and Tarleton, they struggled to score. Another source said that the scrimmage was exactly what a game on October 22nd should be like.....
Up next for UTEP is a trip to Lubbock and their final secret scrimmage against Texas Tech on Saturday. That will give Coach Golding plenty of things to work on as he prepares for Chris Beard and the Longhorns November 7th."

Read More: UTEP Basketball Scrimmage Against Tarleton Filled With Defense

"As for the scrimmage with Tarleton State, a source told me that it was a hard-fought defensive battle that was extremely physical and almost resembled a football game. Both teams played extremely hard, which is not surprising considering the coaching philosophies of Joe Golding and Billy Gillispie. Since defense was a strong point for UTEP and Tarleton, they struggled to score. Another source said that the scrimmage was exactly what a game on October 22nd should be like.....
Up next for UTEP is a trip to Lubbock and their final secret scrimmage against Texas Tech on Saturday. That will give Coach Golding plenty of things to work on as he prepares for Chris Beard and the Longhorns November 7th."

Read More: UTEP Basketball Scrimmage Against Tarleton Filled With Defense
“Struggled to score” — sigh.

I had a chance to make it out to the scrimmage. Obviously, impressive showing by UT. Beard really has a ton of talent to work with, especially in the backcourt. The UT pressure defense made it very tough on Arkansas forcing a bunch of turnovers. I think UT went on a 20-0 run, and the game was a blowout early in the second half. Morris is really good.

I had a chance to make it out to the scrimmage. Obviously, impressive showing by UT. Beard really has a ton of talent to work with, especially in the backcourt. The UT pressure defense made it very tough on Arkansas forcing a bunch of turnovers. I think UT went on a 20-0 run, and the game was a blowout early in the second half. Morris is really good.
How’s the new arena?

Are the panels over the upper decks weird, or does it work?
Overall, it was a bit different feel, but I thought it was really cool. The ability to size up or down in seating that significantly is pretty amazing. To be honest, I was kind of caught up in the suite experience. On November 7th, I'll get a chance to have a "normal" experience....at least for me 😀

Overall, it was a bit different feel, but I thought it was really cool. The ability to size up or down in seating that significantly is pretty amazing. To be honest, I was kind of caught up in the suite experience. On November 7th, I'll get a chance to have a "normal" experience....at least for me 😀
Pictures?

I bought my UTEP UT tickets.

Probably a 20 point game
I kinda wish that this game was pushed back a bit so we can see what we have first. I guess it will be a good so set the bar high. If somehow our guys can put together a good game then the NMSU game should be fun.

Reactions: utep2step
My tickets are still going for the same price I originally paid. Maybe more. Can't really tell since my section doesn't have that many seats for sale on Seat Geek.

• Haha
Reactions: denverutep
My tickets are still going for the same price I originally paid. Maybe more. Can't really tell since my section doesn't have that many seats for sale on Seat Geek.

Where are your tickets located and how much did you pay?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT