Mar 10, 2006
El Paso, TX
Bethune Cookman- Spirit Night, Spanish Heritage, Orange out

UNM - Youth Football and Texas Western night

ODU- Homecoming and Hall of Fame

LATech- Cancer Awareness, First Responders, Healthcare Workers

UTSA - Military Appreciation

Rice- senior day, Extra Yard for Teachers, Staff Appreciation

Honestly, looking at this schedule not only should UTEP see its first conference win in the Sun Bowl since 2016, but they should have a clear winning record at home. Aside from Louisiana Tech I don't see any teams that come across as all that good.

This will be Dimel's year to do something if it is ever going to be done

A loss to Bethune Cookman would be an ugly foreshadow to another awful season.

Last edited:
I think UTSA may be better than La Tech this year but you're right that UTEP needs to be improved enough for 5 or even 6 wins vs that schedule. The road game at UNT is where I want the Miners to really hit on all cylinders and win big.

From a purely on-paper standpoint the football team should have a road win over NMSU and home wins over Bethune Cookman and UNM before beating an ODU team that sat out last season

Anything less sounds like failure from the start

Boise State should be a fat loss though.

If UTEP loses to NMSU then you are looking at a 2 or 3 win season and the likely end of the Dimel era. UTEP must win their first two games in order to have a shot at 6-7 wins and a bowl appearance. I would be more optimistic about a winning season but for Dimels offensive scheme. It just doesn't put enough points on the scoreboard. Senter should have pryed away control of the offense from Dimel at the end of last season and given control to the new OC.

Reactions: picks up
If UTEP loses to NMSU then you are looking at a 2 or 3 win season and the likely end of the Dimel era. UTEP must win their first two games in order to have a shot at 6-7 wins and a bowl appearance. I would be more optimistic about a winning season but for Dimels offensive scheme. It just doesn't put enough points on the scoreboard. Senter should have pryed away control of the offense from Dimel at the end of last season and given control to the new OC.
Now that I thought more about it anything less than 2-0 to begin the season is a failure.

Reactions: FedupMiner
Anyone on here have any encouraging news from UTEP's training camp? Any significant change in UTEPs offense? I'm dying for some good news.

Aaron Jones n I had a brief convo and he thinks this is Uteps most talented team since they went to NM Bowl and probably better all around depth wise. That's just his opinion though.
Good. All of the seasons after NM Bowl need buried and the new season consecrated.

Does it feel like there is little to no buzz about the season starting? I didn’t even realize we are 2 weeks away from the start of the season. I don’t know if it’s COVID or bad marketing but it really just crept up on me, but then again I’m still shocked it’s week 2 of the NFL preseason.

Reactions: NoNCAAWinsSince1992
Does it feel like there is little to no buzz about the season starting? I didn’t even realize we are 2 weeks away from the start of the season. I don’t know if it’s COVID or bad marketing but it really just crept up on me, but then again I’m still shocked it’s week 2 of the NFL preseason.
Hopefully it’s just the quiet before the (winning) storm.

If you follow UTEP accounts on social media you will see lots of updates and promos. If you read the EP Times online you will notice more than a few Miner fb articles and high expectations. Same if you read Kappy and other sportswriters, etc.

Just typical UTEP

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT