Facts:

Started as a D1 FCS program in 2014
Play in the Southland Conference
Offense: Spread Offense
Defense: 3-2 (3 2 2 4)

Offensive players to watch:
Bailey Zappe QB. Threw for 2,812 yards/Threw for 23 TD's
Jerreth Sterns WR Led Southland with 68 receptions

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/sp...ound-crucial-for-Houston-Baptist-14307095.php

Defensive Players to watch:
Caleb Johnson LB 9.3 tackles per game and led Southland with 4 fumble recoveries
Taylor Holmes 6th year senior who missed two years with injuries

Pros: Just like NAU last year, another FCS team will come in and spread the ball around and they have a solid qb who can get it done. UTEP has to play disciplined defense and unlike last years NAU nightmare, UTEP needs to play slobber knocking football. Last year, NAU came in and popped UTEP in the mouth from the opening snap.

Cons: They turnover the ball over way too much last year and were horrid at winning short yardage situations. The offense averaged 27 per game. Their defense gave up 44. They too went 1-10.

HBU needs to keep the chains moving all four quarters to win and play defense until the last second because UTEP has two solid rb's in Hughes and Hankins who will bust it open if they don't shut them down. If UTEP allows them to win too many three and shorts like they allowed so many teams do to them last year, HBU may get another FCS upset at the Sun Bowl for the second straight year. Dimel has to get this team fired up and avoid what happened like last year. HBU defensive line is ok but will have their hands full with UTEP O line who are all now very experienced and healthy.

UTEP needs to let the horses loose. CUSA teams have a one back punch. UTEP has two productive rb's (possibly three) who can win games. El Paso is waiting for one of the top rb's in Texas high school the last two years to debut at the Sun Bowl so excitement will be very high (but not the attendance until UTEP starts to win). Down side is Canales' play calling was infuriating last year. Second, too many dropped passes and like HBU, UTEP conversions were not good. The offense was injured and inefficient starting with the NAU game. Plus side is Defensive Coordinator Cox. He made southern lemonade when the lemons were piling up with injuries and the offense was performing like a high school freshman at the high school dance. Every one has their fingers crossed since losing Oregon transfer Hotchkins who was the top defensive player in CUSA. The LB's are a big question mark. UTEP picked up USC db Ykili Ross today officially and is looking to star immediately according to Dimel.

Like UTEP, HBU went total JUCO the last two to three years and they expect to have a way, way better season in 2019. All eyes will be on the PAC 12 transfers and Hankins who can blow this game open late.

UTEP 34
HBU 17

Last edited:
No, UTEP cannot lose this game. If UTEP loses this game, then we're clearly going in the wrong direction, which should not be possible given how low UTEP already is.

It should not even be close.

Reactions: JCorona
HBU won 1 game last year and they got absolutely torched on Defense. 3 games of giving up 60 plus points, UTEP didn’t even do that. If they run a 3 man front, and UTEP wants to make it a point to lean on their experienced line then this is the game to do it.

UTEP needs to dominate HBU and not let them hang around. Last year the Miners came out unprepared for NAU and they were dominated from the outset. I hope the Miners learned their lesson and not take any opponents lightly. A win on the first game of the season will set the tone for the rest of the season.

Houston Baptist has won 2 games the past 2 years. Last year over Southwest Baptist and the year before over Texas Southern. HBU is one of the worst FCS programs out there. If UTEP loses to them, yes Dimel should be fired after the game.
I agree, if he can’t out coach or get his players to out play this school, he doesn’t deserve to be a head coach at this level.

UTEP needs to dominate HBU and not let them hang around. Last year the Miners came out unprepared for NAU and they were dominated from the outset. I hope the Miners learned their lesson and not take any opponents lightly. A win on the first game of the season will set the tone for the rest of the season.

Year 2, two full off seasons, new players and a QB who isn’t starting his first game. I don’t want to say this is must win, but if you can’t beat these guys it will get ugly.

Reactions: minermaniac2023
Year one was a throw away year. Dimel was hired post haste and Kugler left a bigger mess than his self proclaimed nemesis Mike Price and then the players went down in droves with injuries. Practice players were being moved up.

But he nabbed a top Texas HS back (thank you AJ!) , retained Cox, has Hughes, finally, finally got a deep threat WR, healthy O line including NFL prospect Gatewood anchoring them, Jones under center ; I agree that this game better not be close, but HBU has another really good qb who can spread it around just like NAU last year. HBU's defense was that bad.

UTEP front D line needs to take control at first snap.

It's a violent game of "down & distance". Opposing teams provided enough of the violence to keep UTEP from making distance. Dimel needs to up those #'s. Less dropped passes. Less busted offensive plays. QB's need to throw better. Way way to many uncatchable ducks in the air last year and looking down the primary receiver needs to stop.

Based on past experience, I predict this will be HBU's dream season.
Just like P5 conferences like to say to the mid majors in September "This is you bowl game" which is total BS, FCS's do like their chances against a UTEP, Rice, Texas State, San Jose State, etc. and can you blame them? Their coaches will admit they typically don't get to play in stadiums like the Sun Bowl and second, if they have a bunch of FBS transfers (like NAU did last year) they salivate at the chance of getting that once in a blue moon win over a FBS mid major, it helps their job status. NAU didn't do any splash in FCS last year but they got a win against a FBS team. That will go on the mantle. Hence, in comes HBU. Not much fan fare around El Paso over this game but HBU HC Vic Shealy's butt is on the hot seat. He was picked make HBU a competitive FCS upstart and well, there is not much start and even a good showing at UTEP will save his hide.

What I am trying to say is for UTEP, this is another trap game just like last year.

If UTEP doesn’t come out angry and focused, there’s a big problem.

UTEP history against lesser opponents (at the time). Hardin-Simmons was a regular conference foe back in the Borderland Conference days, so technically they were not a lower division when they played.

Who the heck is Commercial Club?

• Abilene Christian (TX)2-3-0
  • Hardin-Simmons (TX)10-18-1
  • Pacific (CA)3-6-0
  • Lamar (TX)1-3-0
  • Texas A&M-Kingsville0-1-0
  • Southwestern (TX)0-1-0
  • Saint Mary's (TX)0-2-0
  • Loyola Marymount (CA)0-1-0
  • George Washington (DC)0-1-0
  • Cal Poly-San Luis Obispo0-1-0

For shits and giggles....

2nd Artillery 0-1-0
El Paso High School ("The High" as it was known way back when) 3-2-1
El Paso YMCA 1-0-0
University of Mexico 1-0-0
Fort Bliss Motor Transport (TX) 1-0-0
Fort Bliss Base Hospital (TX) 1-0-0
Fort Bliss Aviation Corps (TX) 1-0-0
8th Cavalry (TX)2-0-0
4th Artillery1-0-0
260th Coast Artillery (TX)1-0-0
20th Infantry (TX)2-0-0
1st Division 1-0-0
Fort Bliss All-Stars (TX) 2-1-0
Calumus Club 0-1-0
Commercial Club 0-1-0

http://www.winsipedia.com/utep

Here is what we DO have going for us.
Good size across the board. Even our d-backs are pretty good size.
Continuity. Lots of players guys coming back that have been here through last season.
Good professional coaching staff coming back for a second year. Not a given in todays transient environment. And by professional I mean dedicated, dependable and knowledgable, respected.
Experience. A season of progress. Last year was a first for everyone. Dimel and staff inherited a crapshow.
This coach has demonstrated that he can keep players and coaches, not a turnover factory.
Now ALL we need is wins.

I agree with you dub. I just hope Canales play calling is more fluid, for lack of a better term?

I saw HBU was here in '16. Jones had 288 yards on the ground.

I don't want UTEP to run up the score, I want to see aggressivess and efficiency (better completion %, better short yardage conversion etc).

Reactions: MineroFanatico
ADVERTISEMENT