ADVERTISEMENT

How bad will it get this year?

How bad will it get?

• Total voters
Dec 22, 2016
WR's can't get open against simple man coverage, terrible play calling/game planning on both sides of the ball, our position coaches constantly unable to come up with in-game adjustments (mainly OL/DL), lack of legit FBS talent at the skill positions especially at WR and TE, Hardison checking out of clearly called and actually well called run plays where the Miners appeared to have an edge on the run play called against a base defense for passing plays. Saw a bunch of other shit that made me nearly down a whole 12-pack of Ultras by myself at 12 AM CT (couldn't watch the game live) It was very bad football in game one of "UTEP's best preseason team" in years, things can improve but North Texas isn't a C-USA world beater (they are well coached) and their coaches again out coached a Dana Dimel coaching staff who has won just 20 percent of their 29 conference games at UTEP.

How bad will it get, or am I just pilling on Dimel like I have for now five seasons?

Discuss.

I couldn’t really find an option that I estimate will be accurate.

I don’t think we go winless. I don’t think we lose to both NM schools. I do think we will have a couple conference wins, but I don’t think we’ll make a bowl game.

Saturday completely ushered any of my optimism out of existence. Yes, it’s just one loss, but the way we lost is similar to the way we’ve lost many a game under Dimel. Total lack of in-game adjustments. Nothing has really changed. Plus what the hell happened to our bread and butter? Our front 7? Our run game is next to non-existent with poor blocking. Even after reading other takes, I don’t think our pass blocking was all that much better. Half of Hardison’s MANY incompletions were due to being hurried, or pushed out of the pocket and on the run. Tyrin Smith is no Cowing. Did we even target a TE more than a time or two? Costly penalties. Low snaps. The list goes on…

5 wins…max.

Did we even target a TE more than a time or two?
No, because the majority of the time they were used for blocking/pass-protection. UNT had some success early in the game with some blitzes (but that's also when UTEP had their big chunk plays), and Dimel responded by going ultra-conservative to "max-protect" Hardison, and UNT adjusted by dropping everybody into coverage. So UTEP had three players running routes against full coverage for the second half, and we wonder why none of them could seem to get open.

If we’re all being negative now, imagine next week after they get bodied by OU? I think they should be favorites vs NMSU, but they could legit be looking at a 1-4 start.
Only a few posters would have predicted a “close” loss to OU had the Miners beat UNT 31-13. Unless Dimel is playing starters after the game is out of hand, not sure how perception of the team and outlook will be different after the OU game.

Reactions: Roy_Bigwood_05
Only a few posters would have predicted a “close” loss to OU had the Miners beat UNT 31-13. Unless Dimel is playing starters after the game is out of hand, not sure how perception of the team and outlook will be different after the OU game.
What I mean is the only positives we’ll have going into the NMSU game are going to be from the first half of the UNT game.

I couldn’t really find an option that I estimate will be accurate.

I don’t think we go winless. I don’t think we lose to both NM schools. I do think we will have a couple conference wins, but I don’t think we’ll make a bowl game.

Saturday completely ushered any of my optimism out of existence. Yes, it’s just one loss, but the way we lost is similar to the way we’ve lost many a game under Dimel. Total lack of in-game adjustments. Nothing has really changed. Plus what the hell happened to our bread and butter? Our front 7? Our run game is next to non-existent with poor blocking. Even after reading other takes, I don’t think our pass blocking was all that much better. Half of Hardison’s MANY incompletions were due to being hurried, or pushed out of the pocket and on the run. Tyrin Smith is no Cowing. Did we even target a TE more than a time or two? Costly penalties. Low snaps. The list goes on…

5 wins…max.
You nailed my exact feelings in that third paragraph. Sky isn’t falling and we have a significant chance of leaving the Boise game at 2-3, but it seems more of the painfully same except we don’t have Cowing and Garrett to bail us out anymore.

We probably beat Rice, more than likely beat FIU, but it’s tough finding anymore wins on the schedule. Historically we play poorly in EST so Charlotte is probably an L. I doubt we beat La Tech/FAU/UTSA. Not a bad season, but definitely not what any of us expected.

People act like teams go into the locker rooms and draw up a new offense. Most people that say you need to make all these adjustments have never coached a game.

Everyone that scouts you knows you're only going to complete 2 out of every 5 passes. Everyone knows UTEP wants to establish the run. So you take away the run knowing the passing game isn't going to get it done.

If you can't run the ball in this offense and you do not have an efficient pass offense, and you fall behind by 2 tds, then forget it.

Like Bigwood eluded to, the talent doesn't fit the scheme. I think Coach Dimel is a Coach that can get us 4-5-6 wins in most seasons.

But if UTEP wants to win big, something has to give.

People act like teams go into the locker rooms and draw up a new offense. Most people that say you need to make all these adjustments have never coached a game.

Everyone that scouts you knows you're only going to complete 2 out of every 5 passes. Everyone knows UTEP wants to establish the run. So you take away the run knowing the passing game isn't going to get it done.

If you can't run the ball in this offense and you do not have an efficient pass offense, and you fall behind by 2 tds, then forget it.

Like Bigwood eluded to, the talent doesn't fit the scheme. I think Coach Dimel is a Coach that can get us 4-5-6 wins in most seasons.

As someone that’s never coached or played football how is it that UNT was able to come out in the third and wrestle control of the game from the Miners? And it just UNT, it seems like that’s every team that UTEP plays dating back as far as I can remember.

I 100% agree that talent is an issue. I don’t want to pile on these poor guys but at the end of the day the vast majority were 2 star guys and thats being generous. And that’s what they play like, a bunch of 2 star guys.

I’ve never coached FB, however I coach, and have for a long time. I don’t think it takes a FB coach to see that most teams make in-game adjustments. Nor do I think it takes one to see that Dimel has never really made them.

Strange how about halfway through a game, or soon thereafter, its often the turning in Miner games coached by Dimel. Same was true of CRT. Adjustments are clearly made by opponents. I don’t think anyone is talking about anything more than a few tweaks here and there as the game progresses. Happens in every sport.

With all that said, I’d agree that talent within the current scheme is the biggest problem.

As someone that’s never coached or played football how is it that UNT was able to come out in the third and wrestle control of the game from the Miners? And it just UNT, it seems like that’s every team that UTEP plays dating back as far as I can remember.

I 100% agree that talent is an issue. I don’t want to pile on these poor guys but at the end of the day the vast majority were 2 star guys and thats being generous. And that’s what they play like, a bunch of 2 star guys.

I'm saying that adjustments aren't full scale changes.

How did UNT wrestle control away?

They scored. UTEP turned it over right back to them. UTEP went down 2 scores and then the Miners had to throw the crap out of the ball with their inept passing game.

Did UNT run any different plays? They ran inside zone over and over and ran Play Action with a Slant.

They scored. UTEP turned it over right back to them. UTEP went down 2 scores and then the Miners had to throw the crap out of the ball with their inept passing game.

Did UNT run any different plays? They ran inside zone over and over and ran Play Action with a Slant.
Nail on the head sir! The adjustment they should be making is with their practices. They are the least physical practices I have ever seen. How can you expect a team to be good in the trenches with very little contact and practice?

Fair enough.
Good discussion. I did notice a few more designed QB draws/runs for Hardison than we have seen in the past, and they were probably the most effective rushing plays we had all night. While it was effective against UNT, I don't see Hardison lasting through the season that way. In my opinion, the O-line was over matched similar to UTSA last year. It is difficult for me to point to scheme or assignment issues since nearly the entire line is experienced. I expected a much better effort in that area than we saw this weekend. It doesn't take a coaching genius to develop a plan on stopping UTEP after what we saw. Bottom line, you have to be able to run the ball, and that is exactly what UNT did to set up their passing game.

Great run blocking by UNT. Hat on hat and great sealing to open a crease for their rb’s to run thru, north and south running.

Their WR made catches when needed. UTEP blitzed and made Aune rush his passes a few times and their rb dropped one gimmie but other than that catches were made when needed. They knew Dimel tried to keep their offense off the field but they made plays when on the field.

UTEP made one holding penalty when Hardison left the pocket and that was a 50/50 call. I didn’t see holding on the shoulder pads the rest of the night. UNT zone locked it down and UTEP wr’s couldn’t separate. But most disagree which I accept. They didn’t get it done, period. Hats off to UNT d for keeping it together after boneheaded penalties.

OU game is a pick up the check and make sure it’s endorsed game. ACH deposits are accepted as it always is when Norman comes calling. If Awatt can somehow avoid right handed ankle tackles and Hankins shows his dead lift squat potential on the field, I can see 3 field goal scores within 30 yards. Can the new faces subdue their butterflies playing in very hostile territory?

Conqueror NM and Dimel can stay employed; however Rocky Long is a defensive chess master. He will disguise his blitz packages and Hardison’s legs, while improved, are not that good to wiggle out of trouble like he did with UNT.

Dimel will stayed employed no matter. But his offense is conservative. Cowing loss will feel like when Hunter left us in basketball as season drags on and if the “bread and butter” can’t punch the end zone more often I can’t see how Senter can bring him back next season?

Still been waiting for Jesus to cross the Rio Grande but I feel like a medieval army fighting for the losing King n Queen: “God has abandoned us”.

Just beat NMSU and hope for the best.

3 wins max. Would not be on more than 2 though.
I think that's an over exaggeration after the first game and more based on Uteps history and you're distaste for Dimel. 4-6 wins is more reality unless we lose to the 2 NM schools then you might be on to something. We're not to the 1-3 wins panic mode yet lol

Reactions: MinerFan79
For those Miner fans who didn't watch the game and are just going by the score, it wasn't as bad as you think. UTEP left easily 17-24 points on the board. Missed FG, 4 and out on the 1 yard line, dropped TD pass, holding on TD pass. I'm not happy either, but the no wins, 1 win, 2-3 win predictions are quite premature at this point.

Reactions: Taco1977
For those Miner fans who didn't watch the game and are just going by the score, it wasn't as bad as you think. UTEP left easily 17-24 points on the board. Missed FG, 4 and out on the 1 yard line, dropped TD pass, holding on TD pass. I'm not happy either, but the no wins, 1 win, 2-3 win predictions are quite premature at this point.

Eh......I would say that if you only watched the 3rd Quarter, you would have thought the Miners were a D3 School.

Eh......I would say that if you only watched the 3rd Quarter, you would have thought the Miners were a D3 School.
3rd qt was bad. It was a snowball effect. 3rd and 17 stop, but targeting penalty and N. Texas score followed by a questionable 4th down that UTEP probably should've punted is what did it. Then TD called back is what made it look worse. I re watched and broke it down. 4-5 plays that Utep scores on and this game is down to the wire and a toss up game. Problem is we've been saying that and nothing's changed under Dimel. I'm just trying to remain positive, cause it's only the 1st game. This is how I see the next 5 games...
Oklahoma L 14-56
NMSU W 31-17
UNM W 23-20
Boise St. L 21-41
Charlotte W 28-24
3-3 after 6 games

Reactions: MinerFan79
3rd qt was bad. It was a snowball effect. 3rd and 17 stop, but targeting penalty and N. Texas score followed by a questionable 4th down that UTEP probably should've punted is what did it. Then TD called back is what made it look worse. I re watched and broke it down. 4-5 plays that Utep scores on and this game is down to the wire and a toss up game. Problem is we've been saying that and nothing's changed under Dimel. I'm just trying to remain positive, cause it's only the 1st game. This is how I see the next 5 games...
Oklahoma L 14-56
NMSU W 31-17
UNM W 23-20
Boise St. L 21-41
Charlotte W 28-24
3-3 after 6 games
I like that you have us beating Charlotte.

I do, I don't think Charlotte is as good as N. Texas and I think UTEP will be better with less mistakes by that time, so yes I have them winning.
I agree. You didn’t put it but I think that FIU game will be an easy win too. That poor university is a mess and their athletic dept is hurting badly

Um, you just describe exactly why it WAS as bad as many of us think.

3 wins max. Don't bet on more than 2.

Reactions: T-6 Miner
Um, you just describe exactly why it WAS as bad as many of us think.

3 wins max. Don't bet on more than 2.
I don't agree, but let's see I'll call this out when they exceed what you're expecting or u can call me out if they don't.

WR's can't get open against simple man coverage, terrible play calling/game planning on both sides of the ball, our position coaches constantly unable to come up with in-game adjustments (mainly OL/DL), lack of legit FBS talent at the skill positions especially at WR and TE, Hardison checking out of clearly called and actually well called run plays where the Miners appeared to have an edge on the run play called against a base defense for passing plays. Saw a bunch of other shit that made me nearly down a whole 12-pack of Ultras by myself at 12 AM CT (couldn't watch the game live) It was very bad football in game one of "UTEP's best preseason team" in years, things can improve but North Texas isn't a C-USA world beater (they are well coached) and their coaches again out coached a Dana Dimel coaching staff who has won just 20 percent of their 29 conference games at UTEP.

How bad will it get, or am I just pilling on Dimel like I have for now five seasons?

Discuss.
Good post, Big. I just don’t understand not bringing in a better QB. Dimel has hitched his nuts to Hardison — I wouldn’t have.

Good post, Big. I just don’t understand not bringing in a better QB. Dimel has hitched his nuts to Hardison — I wouldn’t have.
We've seen Hardison for parts of four seasons now. We know what he is, a guy who struggles with accuracy and reads. Everyone sees this except Dimel. You can teach a qb alot of things accuracy isn' one of them. He's not going to get better. Qb's have to throw recievers open. Hardison is not capable of that.

The offense we saw Saturday was wierd. I thought about this week. That wasn't a Bill Snyder offense. Saturday was almost like Lavele Edward's BYU offense but designed to be a ball control offense. The problem is we don't have Robbie Bosco, Jim McMahon or Ty Detmer. We have a guy that struggles to get a 50% completion rate. His infatuation with Hardison is baffling, and now he wants to line up and throw bombs 70% of the time.

We've seen Hardison for parts of four seasons now. We know what he is, a guy who struggles with accuracy and reads. Everyone sees this except Dimel. You can teach a qb alot of things accuracy isn' one of them. He's not going to get better. Qb's have to throw recievers open. Hardison is not capable of that.

The offense we saw Saturday was wierd. I thought about this week. That wasn't a Bill Snyder offense. Saturday was almost like Lavele Edward's BYU offense but designed to be a ball control offense. The problem is we don't have Robbie Bosco, Jim McMahon or Ty Detmer. We have a guy that struggles to get a 50% completion rate. His infatuation with Hardison is baffling, and now he wants to line up and throw bombs 70% of the time.
Hardison was not the best QB on the team last season. For some reason they didn't want to open up the competition and make him earn the spot. This season unfortunately, he does look to be the best option.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT