ADVERTISEMENT

How do you slow down UTSAs Jackson?

Prospero915

Rookie
Nov 16, 2014
I wonder if coach Terry has a defensive strategy to stop or at least slow down Jhivvan Jackson?

With the overtime, he finished with 29pts in the Don on Wednesday,
and it looked like he could get a shot off anytime he wanted.

I wonder if coach Terry has a defensive strategy to stop or at least slow down Jhivvan Jackson?

With the overtime, he finished with 29pts in the Don on Wednesday,
and it looked like he could get a shot off anytime he wanted.
...and make it! Nothing but net!

He would be an absolute star here and continue where Fili left off.

Its crazy to think he’s just a sophomore.

We would need a Washburn type of defender to slow him down. Since we don’t have one then our best shot is to keep a hand in his face all game.

We would need a Washburn type of defender to slow him down. Since we don’t have one then our best shot is to keep a hand in his face all game.
He's a junior, glad we only have to deal with him 1 more year. Sucks for him that their fanbase doesn't go watch him do what he does.

Reactions: JCorona

I think both Jackson and Wallace are Juniors. Both are very good offensively. I think the best strategy would be to attack them on the defensive end (agree with Voice of the Mosquito). Unfortunately, our guards have not shown the need to be defended at all. At his size, having to defend for 40 minutes would be difficult for Jackson. I thought Wallace wore down a bit at the end of the game in EP.

This actually might be one of those instances where Tim Floyd's junk defenses would be perfect. Put a man on each of the two players capable of scoring, and then have the other three players in zone.
It was a good defense not created by Floyd but one of his assistants. Also, Floyd had to some lock down defenders. The bad side? This was such an intense and single focus effort it took out a UTEP player from more offensive output.

Floyd also used the good ol' "Box n One" but more modified I think, which he used JWash many timesr. JWash shut down Wiggins from Kansas and ODU's Trey Freeman who were prolific scorers.

Who does CRT use? Lathon? No, he is needed to run offense. Tarke? He has athletic ability but still learning offensive role. Hawk? Maybe, but you want to put height and athleticism on a player like Jackson. Hawk is a tad too short.

He's a junior, glad we only have to deal with him 1 more year. Sucks for him that their fanbase doesn't go watch him do what he does.
That makes more sense. That explains why it feels like he’s been torching the league for years. Cuz he has.

Reactions: picks up
It was a good defense not created by Floyd but one of his assistants. Also, Floyd had to some lock down defenders. The bad side? This was such an intense and single focus effort it took out a UTEP player from more offensive output.

Floyd also used the good ol' "Box n One" but more modified I think, which he used JWash many timesr. JWash shut down Wiggins from Kansas and ODU's Trey Freeman who were prolific scorers.

Who does CRT use? Lathon? No, he is needed to run offense. Tarke? He has athletic ability but still learning offensive role. Hawk? Maybe, but you want to put height and athleticism on a player like Jackson. Hawk is a tad too short.
Terry had Edwards on Jackson most of the game. On a side note, I thought Lathon's defensive effort on Wallace was not good for the few minutes he was in there for. Right now, he just doesn't look like the same player from parts of last year, or that was expected this year. In 9 minutes of play, he failed to log a single stat against UTSA. Obviously, not a good sign. Hoping he is able to find his mojo somehow.

Terry had Edwards on Jackson most of the game. On a side note, I thought Lathon's defensive effort on Wallace was not good for the few minutes he was in there for. Right now, he just doesn't look like the same player from parts of last year, or that was expected this year. In 9 minutes of play, he failed to log a single stat against UTSA. Obviously, not a good sign. Hoping he is able to find his mojo somehow.
Did any one else see this?

Twice, Lathon subbed for Hawkins against UTSA, both times Lathon handed Hawkins a towel as he subbed in, and Hawkins immediately dropped it both times like I don't want this from you asshole, the second time he chucked it towards the scorers table and RT gave Hawkins a glare as jogged to the bench, this happened before the comeback, that showed me something isn't right with those two going back to that odd interview, and you're spot on, Lathon is not the same at all.

The answer is try to stop Wallace because he can be guarded.

The only way to stop Jackson is to deny him the ball. Once he has the ball it's over. You can only hope he doesn't hit every shot.

Twice, Lathon subbed for Hawkins against UTSA, both times Lathon handed Hawkins a towel as he subbed in, and Hawkins immediately dropped it both times like I don't want this from you asshole, the second time he chucked it towards the scorers table and RT gave Hawkins a glare as jogged to the bench, this happened before the comeback, that showed me something isn't right with those two going back to that odd interview, and you're spot on, Lathon is not the same at all.
It sounds like Hawkins needs to get over himself.

It sounds like Hawkins needs to get over himself.
I don't expect them to be pals like the mid to late 80's UTEP players were. That was great chemistry that showed in the games.

However, ego's at this level are part of the culture. If CRT can keep this contained and off the floor and out of the hearts of teammates, then carry on.

I don't expect them to be pals like the mid to late 80's UTEP players were. That was great chemistry that showed in the games.

However, ego's at this level are part of the culture. If CRT can keep this contained and off the floor and out of the hearts of teammates, then carry on.
I didn't see it, but the crap Bigwood described is inexcusable. And if Lathon is really having family issues (death of his godmother, other illness in his family, etc.), then Hawkins needs to cool it down. Lathon hasn't started since he has returned; Hawkins has started each of the last five games. There is no reason for him to be acting this way; it actually sounds like bullying. He needs to grow up.

i saw that as well as I made it a point to observe them to see how they interacted with each other. I just don’t see these two making up, I think Hawkins will be the one to split.

I didn't see it, but the crap Bigwood described is inexcusable. And if Lathon is really having family issues (death of his godmother, other illness in his family, etc.), then Hawkins needs to cool it down. Lathon hasn't started since he has returned; Hawkins has started each of the last five games. There is no reason for him to be acting this way; it actually sounds like bullying. He needs to grow up.
For someone who doesn’t know the full story you sure defend Lathon a lot. For all we know Lathon could have slept with Hawkins girl.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
Great chance a woman and/or alcohol is involved. We've been cursed since Eve was on the scene.

I did see that and it wasn’t the first time that has happened.

There is something between the two of them that goes beyond playing time. I coached two players that hated each other, but they both were mature enough to put that aside when they were on the court. They were one of the top 5 girls doubles teams in Texas too. If two high school age girls can do it then these two need to grow TFU.

According to my sources. Nigel Hawkins put his name in the portal because of reduced playing time from last year. Then Jordan Lathon had family issues and put his name in as well. Then Hawkins withdrew because he would get more playing time. Then Lathon withdrew because his family issues were no more. Now both are playing for UTEP.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT