ADVERTISEMENT

Hunter goes undrafted

Not a surprise to me. Can't shoot a jumper and gets in foul trouble. Not a recipe for success in the NBA.

I agree. But wow, a player who leaves after his sophomore year though is probably confident to get drafted.

I've always said that if you leave school early you better be drafted but what do I know

pretty surprised actually. I thought he would be a low 2nd round pick purely on his motor and ability to offensive/defensive rebound. My guess is he's wishing he came back for another year.

Kid had high hopes, but he was simply too impatient. Should have gave it one more year and he could have been a possible first rounder....

Did he believe he was going to get drafted though??

Many sports writers had him get picked.

Vince and Julian will signed a free agent contract they will have to earn a spot on the team.
I am sure Vince will earn the spot a on team. Julian also has a good chance to earn a spot.
Don't give up on them.

GO Miners....

Seems to me CTF could have done a better job of advising Hunter to stay but knew Paul Thomas will probably be better and didn't want to lose him so let Hunter walk. Hunter is undersized and can't shoot a mid range shot so odds were always stacked against him even if he stayed all 4 years at UTEP. He can always play overseas so its not the end of the road

Reactions: El Paso Chihuahuas
No surprise VH went undrafted - guys ahead of him have major skills (and motors).
Not CTF's fault VH is gone. This is on VH.
If his family economic situation wasn't dire,
could have, should have remained one more year (just to be closer to a degree). Now, he's just a guy & the road to the NBA is tied to development in the CBA or Europe or Asia. Unfortunately, I think his future looks bleak.
Hope I'm wrong.

Artistarts28, the coaching staff talked and talked and talked to Hunter and his people about not leaving this year. Floyd has a ton of NBA connections and advised VH of where he stood as far as being drafted. Hunter and his advisers were determined to go ahead regardless of the information they had.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cicileslie
Mentioned this when I first heard he had decided to go to the NBA - no idea what his financial situation is, but if it was that dire, guess I can't blame the guy - but, if not, he was way too impatient and should have stayed to continue to develop in some areas.....

He was never ready for the NBA. He should of stayed two more years and gotten stronger and learned how to control his emotions. He is way too emotional and gets in foul trouble when he gets worked up. If he was a brick wall of emotions like Julian is and had a decent jump shot then he would of gotten drafted but NBA teams do not want a child throwing fits on the court and throwing up air balls.

76ers summer league team makes it even worst as bad as that organization is being run. It would have been nice for him to go somewhere he could get coached up because that's what Hunter needs to develop his game. Think we all knew he wouldn't get drafted but was hoping he did just to help with future recruiting. That could have been a nice pitch for high school recruits

He was never ready for the NBA. He should of stayed two more years and gotten stronger and learned how to control his emotions. He is way too emotional and gets in foul trouble when he gets worked up. If he was a brick wall of emotions like Julian is and had a decent jump shot then he would of gotten drafted but NBA teams do not want a child throwing fits on the court and throwing up air balls.

Hunter will more than likely make a very good living playing basketball. Maybe he catches on in the NBA. Or he goes to Europe. Sure I wish he would have stayed another year. But he will probably be just fine.

Reactions: develman
VH is a damn good player who saw a lot of double and triple teams this year. He had a great game against NBA talent U of A, I thought he was going to get drafted. Great player, seems to have a good head on his shoulder. Hope he gets a chance

Reactions: develman
Hunter will more than likely make a very good living playing basketball. Maybe he catches on in the NBA. Or he goes to Europe. Sure I wish he would have stayed another year. But he will probably be just fine.

I never said he wont make a living playing basketball because he absolutely will. I said he didnt get drafted because hes too emotional and gets in foul trouble to easily. I hope he gets picked up in FA by a NBA team and if not then I hope he succeeds in Europe. But if he had his emotions and jump shot locked down then we would of seen him go last night.

It seemed like every guy drafted in the second round was a 6`8 220lb athletic forward. It seemed like those guys had a little more offensive game than Hunter. The Sixers are probably the place to tryout for a rookie free agent.

I'm all for chasing dreams. Carpe Diem Hunter. But you need that degree. Tempus Fugit, Memento Mori

At number 22 - the Bulls selected 6'10" 245lb SEC POY Bobby Portis. His projected rate of success based on his draft number is very low. This info based on previous historical records - example: the last NBA AllStar drafted at 22 was Reggie Lewis in the mid 80s. I can only imagine the challenge ahead for undrafted players.

If Vince made the jump because he has to make money for his family now, then he needs to play in Europe if he doesn't make an NBA squad. No D-League; they pay peanuts. Go to Europe and make a good wage. That's what I've been saying all along.

I don't think it was good advice for Vince to make the jump now. He needed at least another year of seasoning. But delayed gratification is rare in the current generation. Oh well. I hope that this bad decision doesn't prevent him from making better decisions henceforth.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT