ADVERTISEMENT

I actually have no idea what to make of Louisiana Tech this season.

FeralFelidae

MI Miner Maniac
Sep 1, 2003
I have no idea how good they are. They soundly beat SFA, which tells us they're better than a top-25 FCS team. And their three losses are to Mizzou, Clemson, and South Alabama, which are all solid teams.

Yes, South Alabama, whose only loss is on the road to UCLA by one point.

I'm sure Louisiana Tech has circled us as a "winnable" game and are going to give us their best shot. I hope UTEP doesn't take them lightly because I don't think we can judge LA Tech by their record at this point.

I have no idea how good they are. They soundly beat SFA, which tells us they're better than a top-25 FCS team. And their three losses are to Mizzou, Clemson, and South Alabama, which are all solid teams.

Yes, South Alabama, whose only loss is on the road to UCLA by one point.

I'm sure Louisiana Tech has circled us as a "winnable" game and are going to give us their best shot. I hope UTEP doesn't take them lightly because I don't think we can judge LA Tech by their record at this point.
Plus it’s a road game for the Miners which could bode in LA Tech’s favor.

La Tech is not very good. Vegas has Tech as Tech installed as a 1 point favorite. If we play like the last two games we'll win. I think our defense matches up very well against their offense. The game will be decided by a field goal either way. I think defense and special teams will give us the slight edge we need.

Reactions: Roy_Bigwood_05
La Tech is not very good. Vegas has Tech as Tech installed as a 1 point favorite. If we play like the last two games we'll win. I think our defense matches up very well against their offense. The game will be decided by a field goal either way. I think defense and special teams will give us the slight edge we need.
If the Miners play like they did against Charlotte, ANYTHING could happen.

Just a quick glance so far. Looks like they turn the ball over a ton with 17 turnovers and 7 interceptions. They also seem to have issues rushing the ball and staying in games.

This screams trap game - they’re probably out for revenge after last year, probably out with something to prove, and definitely should have the talent to beat us. Dimel needs to be careful and have the team avoid rat poison

If the Miners play like they did against Charlotte, ANYTHING could happen.
I came away very impressed with Chris Reynolds UNCC's qb. He was allusive and he could throw dimes on the run and from all kinds of arm angles. To me he was the best qb we've played against by a mile. I thought he was better than Dillon Gabriel. I think the experience should help our defense. We won't see a qb that good until the final game when we see UTSA qb Frank Harris. Reynold kept UNCC in that game.

It looks like La Tech is a 3 point favorite as of now. Their record is misleading since they have played against quality competition. This will definitely be a dog fight. We can win if we don’t shoot ourselves in the foot with turnovers and dumb penalties.

This is a big game for Dimel. He’s got some momentum going right now. Team is heading into a bye week. These are the type of games that can create a lot of buzz and sell seats. Seems like every time a Dimel led UTEP team is in a situation to get the fan base excited, it has gone poorly.

Not necessarily a make or break win for the Miners season, but I think for Dimel a win this week would go a long way.

We can definitely run against them and that's what we should do to set up the play action. Hardison has been a lot more accurate of late. Tech is gonna throw the ball around just like Charlotte, but their QB is not on the level of Reynolds. With that said their over all team is better than Charlotte's. I haven't decided how I think this one will go just yet.

Reactions: Lil_Train
They are hard to pin down, but they look somewhat like Charlotte offensive wise W/O the quarterback. My big question is the quality of the defense, they likely can score 20-27 points on us but can we match that on them?

This is must win game because of the different stages the programs are supposed to be at. LT is in year 1 of their rebuild. It's time for UTEP to take advantage and win a few games back.

Reactions: Lil_Train
Yup I agree, I took LA Tech +14 against South Alabama after their "close" game with Clemson, really up and down so far and hard to gauge. Thought they'd keep it close with South Alabama but got completely rolled only ran for 50 something yards, and gave up over 150 on the ground, but their bye week came at a good time. Should be another close game this weekend. Not betting it though lol

I haven't checked this season, but there was two season where UTEP was a sure bet as a road dog...U Take 'Em Points!

There is not one game against La Tech I have ever felt good about. There have been games that UTEP should have won but La Tech snatched the W from the Miners. That's how I am approaching this game. Hope for the best, expect mistakes that may cost UTEP the game.

You've been wrong on the last two games u said UTEP wouldn't definitely lose. So I don't think anyone should take betting advice from you JS.
Aren't you wrong about 80% of the time? What's your point?

I also predicted UTEP to beat UNT and UNM. I will add I predicted UTEP to crush NMSU. Based on that, UTEP will win going away...

Tech is right behind Charlotte in rushing defense at 230 yards ellowed per game. Miners had some 260 rushing against Charlotte or something like that.

Aren't you wrong about 80% of the time? What's your point?

I also predicted UTEP to beat UNT and UNM. I will add I predicted UTEP to crush NMSU. Based on that, UTEP will win going away...
Idk about 80%, but I also don't give betting device lol. Although I did win a 8 game parlay in the NFL this past week, but that's more luck. When it comes to UTEP we truly just never know! This one can go a lot of different ways.

Was it not seven or so years ago Mattox missed a game winning field goal? I chalk up that loss with the ECU game UTEP should've won, you just wanted to hurl your guts.

La Tech will be hungry for a win and they know they UTEP's number, overall. I'm sure they will be looking for payback as some of our drunk fans were acting stupid towards their bench last year. However, La Tech is not without acting up on the stupid meter as one of their assistant coaches was throwing shade at El Paso on Twitter when they arrived at EPIA a few short years back.

Tech will put at least 7 in the box to try and stop the run. They will succeed early but UTEP has to stay the course and keep running while keeping the chains moving. Hardison needs to stop checking out of the run to try and throw deep downfield. He's much more affective finding receivers in zone coverage on 3rd and 4th and short. That's been our winning formula. Miners were able to move the ball similarly against Oklahoma so I'm sure we can do it against La. Tech. They just have to stick with the plan and if Tech starts to cheat and bring their safety's up, find one of our crack receivers over the top. Okay break!

Oh, and one more thing, let's try and play 60 minutes of football. Can we do that?

Tech will put at least 7 in the box to try and stop the run. They will succeed early but UTEP has to stay the course and keep running while keeping the chains moving. Hardison needs to stop checking out of the run to try and throw deep downfield. He's much more affective finding receivers in zone coverage on 3rd and 4th and short. That's been our winning formula. Miners were able to move the ball similarly against Oklahoma so I'm sure we can do it against La. Tech. They just have to stick with the plan and if Tech starts to cheat and bring their safety's up, find one of our crack receivers over the top. Okay break!

Oh, and one more thing, let's try and play 60 minutes of football. Can we do that?
I think after looking at the game tapes we can expect all future opponents to stack 8 or 9 guys in the box. If I'm a DC I'm making Hardison prove he can beat me. We've seen this offense when it's a one dimensional pass offense.

Not the same top defense we're used to seeing from the Bulldogs and their D line is looking for identity. https://www.thenewsstar.com/story/s...tball-score-vs-utep-live-updates/69532913007/
Their defense does have a ball hawk on their defense in BeeJay Williamson who is their top performer. It will be interesting who he is lined up against? https://www.thenewsstar.com/story/s...lliamson-has-grown-into-a-leader/69532907007/

La Tech allow six yards a play for 117 ranking. I expect Hankins and Awatt to have a productive game, but this is the Miners, so expectations are clouded simply because the 49'ers almost pulled out a win after being down by 20 and Dimel went to his conservative off tackle, off tackle late in the fourth, which Charlotte stuffed.

Tech is rested. UTEP has momentum. Tech is TO prone. UTEP has shown they struggle to finish games except for one. Both coaches are seasoned former Big XII coaches so they know each others schemes.

Not the same top defense we're used to seeing from the Bulldogs and their D line is looking for identity. https://www.thenewsstar.com/story/s...tball-score-vs-utep-live-updates/69532913007/
Their defense does have a ball hawk on their defense in BeeJay Williamson who is their top performer. It will be interesting who he is lined up against? https://www.thenewsstar.com/story/s...lliamson-has-grown-into-a-leader/69532907007/

La Tech allow six yards a play for 117 ranking. I expect Hankins and Awatt to have a productive game, but this is the Miners, so expectations are clouded simply because the 49'ers almost pulled out a win after being down by 20 and Dimel went to his conservative off tackle, off tackle late in the fourth, which Charlotte stuffed.

Tech is rested. UTEP has momentum. Tech is TO prone. UTEP has shown they struggle to finish games except for one. Both coaches are seasoned former Big XII coaches so they know each others schemes.
What makes Beejay a ball hawk? He has 0 PBUs & 0 ints. Isn't a ball hawk someone who makes plays on the ball? I think I'd rather have Ty'Reke James over Beejay.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
What makes Beejay a ball hawk? He has 0 PBUs & 0 ints. Isn't a ball hawk someone who makes plays on the ball? I think I'd rather have Ty'Reke James over Beejay.
He has one forced turnover. Second, while a ball hawk has takeaways he has 27 tackles in four games; he's a db. Not bad. Third, I have no reason to poo poo on Cumbie's assessment.

But yes, I'd take James over him too.

Reactions: Taco1977
He has one forced turnover. Second, while a ball hawk has takeaways he has 27 tackles in four games; he's a db. Not bad. Third, I have no reason to poo poo on Cumbie's assessment.

But yes, I'd take James over him too.
Well we agree on the last part.

Doesn't bode well when one of your leading tacklers is a DB. Likely means a running game is getting past the line and LB or teams are throwing and completing a lot of downfield passes. IN LaTech's case I think they have trouble stopping the run and I think this is an advantage for the Miners.

Doesn't bode well when one of your leading tacklers is a DB. Likely means a running game is getting past the line and LB or teams are throwing and completing a lot of downfield passes. IN LaTech's case I think they have trouble stopping the run and I think this is an advantage for the Miners.
I don't think it's as big an issue for a safety to lead the team in tackles. CB, different story. James seems to be all over the place. And the weakness of our defense is our secondary, so of course it'll be targeted more.

I don't think it's as big an issue for a safety to lead the team in tackles. CB, different story. James seems to be all over the place. And the weakness of our defense is our secondary, so of course it'll be targeted more.
The secondary grades out by far the best on the team. DT is the worst and LB is second to them. Safeties are first and corners are second. This is according to PFF.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT