ADVERTISEMENT

I don't know how much more bulletin board material UTEP football needs?

utep2step

MI Miner Maniac
Jul 10, 2001
TT 80 UTEP 6

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/co...hs-2019-season-will-team-look-like-matt-wells

I realize TT, since leaving the Border Conference has had unbelievable "Illusions of Grandeur", but Tech has to be the ODU of the Big XII: They think they're "all that and a bag of chips". What is it the last few years with FBS teams getting this BYU mentality that their poop is scented with lavender and they all will win the conference? I realize going into this year, everyone has the "This is UTEP" and rightfully so but let's be realistic here folks and use some empirical analysis, ok Tech'sters?

Now granted, UTEP football the last twenty years has been wretched to watch and we did lose to NMSU twice in a row; however, UTEP had probably the worst injury plagues years that I can remember going back the last thirty years.

Second, UTEP did improve every game towards the end and should have beat CUSA Champ UAB.....and that was with practically backups by then. UAB was a better team than TT last year but that's a whole different debate.

Third, TT has a new coach with a "defense is important" philosophy as compared to the basketball scores they put up under Coach Bro. Doesn't matter who you are at the FBS, new defenses need at least two years to implement. Yes, there are overachieving scenarios like UTEP in 2004 that went 8-4 and almost upset Colorado in the Houston Bowl. Tim Hundley inherited Nord recruits on the defensive side that were athletic beasts (a few went to the NFL), but even Price said that is not typical (and while he moved out a lot of Nord players, he gave Nord a ton of credit for the players he had to work with).

We are not going to beat TT, but I doubt it will be 80 to 6. More like 52 to 24. UTEP has their full and healthy line with one lineman who will play on Sundays and that will make a major difference. Two, Jones can't move like KL but he has a better arm and now UTEP has a legit deep threat WR Devaughn Cooper who was Arizona Wildcats go to #1 receiver over the summer but booted for violation of team rules. Along with Tre'Shon Wolf it finally means opposing secondaries will have to stay honest and not play shallow because UTEP now has speed. The hardcore fans are salivating over rb Hankins from Parkland who turned down many major programs. Dimel says his top 2018 recruit has attributes during camp that make it hard not to give him the majority of reps and his conditioning and strength are top tier college level.

Finally, they barely lost a national championship in basketball. The sky is bluer, they feel like Harvard on the Panhandle and they have rich alums who think throwing money at a problem like Boone Pickens will solve their championship barren problems. It will not, they're Tech.

I am praying for nice scare though. UTEP has nothing to lose and all too gain.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rot
Historically these are close games. 3 of the last four have been competitive in the fourth quarter. Price and Kugler both should have beat them at home. Price chased a missed extra point by going for two a few times and it came back to haunt him. Showers screwed It up for Kugler. He was hell bent on sticking Kinsbury and in the two minute drive from Tech's thirty called four straight passes. He nowhere close on any the throws. Tech couldn't stop the run. If Showers turns around and hands off the ball we win and streak would have been over.

I expect the game to be close. I think it's a 10 point game. Tech 31 UTEP 21. I'm getting pretty excited about the season. This team is going to be alot better than people think.

Reactions: MinerManiac
I expect the game to be close. I think it's a 10 point game. Tech 31 UTEP 21. I'm getting pretty excited about the season. This team is going to be alot better than people think.
TT played fast break football for years with the pirate and Coach Bro. The high octane offense didn't work so they're going a different direction, so I'm hoping for that type of score simply because Matt Wells is changing everything from what I have read. They lost their top defensive player in the secondary and that was a major blow.

I think a game happening in Tuscaloosa that same day has more of a chance of ending 80-6.

Texas Tech is beginning to turn into that annoying kid who acts all superior and talks trash because he "hangs out" with friends of his older siblings.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rot
I think a game happening in Tuscaloosa that same day has more od a chance of ending 80-6.

Texas Tech is beginning to turn into that annoying kid who acts all superior and talks trash because he "hangs out" with friends of his older siblings.

I dont know why we're comparing Tech to Bama.

Tech ain't shit, but we're much worse. With that said 80-6 is stupid. Hope its close like past games in this series, but feels like 56-21

Tech ain't shit, but we're much worse. With that said 80-6 is stupid. Hope its close like past games in this series, but feels like 56-21
We'll see. Matt Wells is a 180 of Coach Bro and bringing in a new system and TT said "no mas" with the air it out no defense style. This is similar to Price to Kugler change without Wells throwing Kingsbury under the bus (Kugler stated Mike Price left a "dumpster fire"). IMO, UTEP has had some close ones against Tech and this may be the best time to possibly pull this out. But one game at a time.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT